Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: VIDEO - Mod to render AR non-restricted.

VIDEO - Mod to render AR non-restricted.

I posted on another thread, how you can epoxy steel in a 7-round magazine into your AR to render it legal under the new order from government. Not a loophole, but in the spirit of the intentions of the law.

Then a helpful member sent me these links to a device that will also lock in a 7-round magazine, rendering it internal/non removable, and which has to be removed by use of a power tool. I wonder what people think. Has any of you the ability to create a blueprint of what would be required? I can't as I do not have an AR15 myself to lift measurements from, but want to help AR owners make the best of the situation.

I'd join the two parts by a spot weld, stainless steel rivet or similar permanent method.

(I doubt we can import it as it is currently an MSSA part - even if, once installed, it will render an AR non-MSSA)

https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

https://crossarmory.com/?s=quick+pins&post_type=product

Side loader:
    Last edited by Cordite; 22-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I would suggest that it won't be allowed as the rifle can still easily be converted back to standard format and accept a high capacity mag, sorry I wish it was different but that's how I see it. Happy to be corrected,
    Maybe if enough interest one of the manufacturers will produce a fixed mag version, i dunno just throwing it out there

Yep and as far as I can tell ( reading the tea leaves etc..) is a 7 round mag will not be acceptable since they only will allow 5 round magazines
    Oh and I agree with Danny they will say if it can be done, it can be undone. They want them gone and that's what will happen it seems

Yes, that would be some individuals' knee jerk reaction, but remember, though Cahill does not like ARs, this is not named as an anti-AR15 law.

It has to be a modification that is not readily/easily/quickly reversible.

Better than:
    Name:  Australian-gun-confiscation-courtesy-American-Rifleman-770x433.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  54.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Yep and as far as I can tell ( reading the tea leaves etc..) is a 7 round mag will not be acceptable since they only will allow 5 round magazines
    Oh and I agree with Danny they will say if it can be done, it can be undone. They want them gone and that's what will happen it seems
    An internal mag is OK with 7, just as it says in the law. It is being able to accept an external magazine >5rds that is now ruled against in council. If you have a fixed 7 rd mag in the well, it is not able to take any other mags. Fixed mag allows you an extra two rounds in compensation.

Anyone like that cool side loader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Yes, that would be some individuals' knee jerk reaction, but remember, though Cahill does not like ARs, this is not named as an anti-AR15 law.

It has to be a modification that is not readily/easily/quickly reversible.

Better than:
    Attachment 107668
    I feel sick
    rugerman, northdude and Cordite like this.

These are the regular parts, from midway.usa site:

Name:  350789.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  p_100500017_2.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  9.3 KB

A shorter male screw threaded all the way, discard spring, discard the nut and instead fit a narrower, round nut and tighten it right to the bottom, and you have a locked mag (or, if you forgot to first insert a seven round mag, you now have single shot AR). Render non-tamper by gluing in a steel plug as in the video.

These ideas all come I believe from California and New York states assault rifle regulations. I intend reading these states legislation before starting my submission as it may be a clue as to which way we may be heading.

Banned
    I would actually prefer a straight pull fixed mag AR. I want it for the fit, not the auto loading.

Pump action is not a semi-auto.

You can have all MSSA features on a non semi. A Lee Enfield bolt action jungle carbine has large >7 mag, bayonet lug and flashhider for example.

The fixed 7rd mag makes a semi non-restricted, also known as A-cat.

Stripper clips, whichever angle you insert them, are not magazines and as a whole are slower and more demanding of a shooter's concentration to load anyway.
    A330driver likes this.

Sorry it would appear it doesn't matter what you do, read the last line
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-03-22-19-48-06(2).png
Views: 624
Size:  189.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Sorry it would appear it doesn't matter what you do, read the last line
    Attachment 107688
    The above is nothing but an " Opinion " . Parliament makes the Law and the Courts / Judiciary interpret what it means .
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    The above is nothing but an " Opinion " . Parliament makes the Law and the Courts / Judiciary interpret what it means .
    Less an opinion than BS in this case.

This is not an anti-semiautomatics order by government.

It could much more easily have said, "all semi-automatic centrefire rifles and semi-automatic shotguns are now restricted".

The "No" on the police form above is just someone having a hard on. Under english law if there is not a rule against something, you can do it. If there is no law against permanently modding a restricted item into a non restricted one, go for it. Just as you can deactivate a bolt action rifle (if you do it properly) and give it to a non-license holder for a wall hanger. I would personally araldite in the entire 7-rd magazine as well as fix the mag catch.

If they then change the rules for internal magazines to be limited to 5 rounds instead of the current 7... Well, take the mag plate off, slide out spring and follower, and do what you have to restrict it to 5.
    Last edited by Cordite; 23-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.

The Saiga guns could be modified to be A cat compliant at present but who knows what the next round of changes will include. Since the magazines lock back a full length partial mag well (say half the front to back length of the magazine) with a floor on it for a better word welded to the receiver, this would be sized to allow the magazine to rock back but anything bigger than 5 rnd woudnt be able to be inserted. Option 2 is to pull off the gas system and make it pump action.

The risk to doing things like this is that they will keep changing the rules until it is illegal again and they say it is worthless and give no compensation

northdude
    one question that didn't get asked was can you gaurentee that there will be a buy back before I hand my rifle over as once you have it in your possetion you can change your mind and not go ahead with buy back
    Cordite likes this.