Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 6.5 Projectile Swap

6.5 Projectile Swap

Well the pressure was on to spell "swap" after Nibblets post, but I've crossed that hurdle . .

I have some 6.5 Swift Scirocco 130's that won't shoot in my 6.5-06 despite a lot of fussing, dammed if I know why they don't shoot, I think it might be related to a copper fouling issue this rifle seems to have.

I'd like to swap them in batches of 20 for 20:

- for Berger 130 VLD Hunting 130's
    - for Sierra 130's

and for some 140's, anything conventional would do.

Thanks - Foster

R93
    Have you tried seating them right back 50-100 thou? They generally like a bit of jump in a fussy barrel.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yeah - it has a long throat, they are way back just to fit the mag box (I don't want to single load it), around the 0.070 -0.090 mark.

I was playing round in real strong light trying to see the extent of the copper fouling and bugger me found a blemish in the barrel about 10mm down the tube, so its in for a wee chop just now.

R93
    All good then, you may be sweet using the sciroccos after ya sort that.

Thanks - nothing seems to certain about this rifle, it's properly bedded (glass bedded with free floated barrel, mag box not touching etc) , the scope base has been bedded and checked, I've tried two projectiles and two powders. It is fouling worse than anything else I've had but the barrel looks new to me so that should ease. I thought it might be technique but I checked and I'm still shooting alright groups with other rifles !!

The best thing is the 'smith will do the lop this afternoon, so I can try it out again right away !!

Impure Lead Flinger
    in my 6.506 sciroccos do 1.5" at 100m but done an under 1" group at 320m!!! just saying!!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Thanks - nothing seems to certain about this rifle, it's properly bedded (glass bedded with free floated barrel, mag box not touching etc) , the scope base has been bedded and checked, I've tried two projectiles and two powders. It is fouling worse than anything else I've had but the barrel looks new to me so that should ease. I thought it might be technique but I checked and I'm still shooting alright groups with other rifles !!

The best thing is the 'smith will do the lop this afternoon, so I can try it out again right away !!
    What make of barrel out of interest and is it fouling the whole way or just where you found the blemish?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    in my 6.506 sciroccos do 1.5" at 100m but done an under 1" group at 320m!!! just saying!!
    What barrel twist Adam? I cant remember if ya went 1:8 0r 1:8.5

Impure Lead Flinger
    1;8

R93
    Hmmm, I am only a little way into getting a load sorted for mine using scirrocos and it shoots around 1.5 @ 200 and half that with Amax. The sciroccos always seem to have a couple touching and one out in a 3 shot group. Accurate as, for hunting but I would like them as good as the Amax if possible. They went awesome in my 6.5-06 wich was 1:8.

I will try further out and see how they go if I can get them tighter, closer.

Mine is a 6.5-06, barrel is a Douglas Premium 1:10 fitted up by old Din Collings in 1996 according to the stamp. It looks new (there is still bluing in the grooves at the muzzle).

I'd fired 40-50 rounds, didn't check where the fouling was, I just cleaned it out with Sweets. What really surprised me was I then fired a further 15 rounds and cleaned again, and a whole lot more copper (and other crap ??) came out. I would have expected very little fouling from just 15 rounds.

There was no copper on the blemish when I found it (it was after the second very thorough clean) and it was only visible in stong light, but I could "feel" it with a pulled bristle from a wire brush.

R93
    Foster, I doubt it, but the 1:10 twist may be the issue with the sciroccos? A black barrel that coppers badly is pretty rare opposed to stainless. Any idea how many rounds have been thru the barrel?
    I have never had a barrel that fouls badly and that is just blind luck.
    If a barrel is new and does not foul too bad, it can sometimes settle, with hand lapping and shooting a few rounds.
    If it is fouling bad now mate, after 17yrs, I would just get another barrel fitted and save time and money on ammo and mucking around.
    I hope you dont have too and its is just still new and needs a bit of attention.

Baldbob has had 2 barrels in his last 3 that he could sell the copper from, after 5 shots and put a deposit on a house

Got it back and the 'smith reckons its a new barrel too, although hes none too certain that the "chop" will fix it as the blemishes (yes there were 3) were set back 10mm or so from the muzzle.

At least the bloody thing will now fit in my normal gun cabinet, it was too long before !!

Now does anyone have some projectiles they'll swap . . . . .

Impure Lead Flinger
    I have 140 amaxs and 120gmxs.. how many sciroccos u have? Swap the lot??

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Got it back and the 'smith reckons its a new barrel too, although hes none too certain that the "chop" will fix it as the blemishes (yes there were 3) were set back 10mm or so from the muzzle.

At least the bloody thing will now fit in my normal gun cabinet, it was too long before !!

Now does anyone have some projectiles they'll swap . . . . .
    i have some 120 Amax some 127gr LRX and some impala 90gr and 105gr i might not have 20lrx pm if your keen i have some 100gr nosler as well