Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By sneeze

Thread: swap 162 7mm ELD-X

swap 162 7mm ELD-X

So I bought a box (100) of these and opened it not realising they were not the same shape as the amax/eld-M and I can't be arsed working up a load plus I am running amax relatively slow so the slightly softer amax/eld-M would possibly suit me better at extended ranges. If anyone running or wanting to run ELD-X has some amax/eld-M they would like to swap I would take a lesser amount say 80 pills on the swap or pay the freight for your part on a box for box swap would also be open to swaps for 140g nosler ballistic tips
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 17-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.

I'll see how many amax I have, but happy to take you up on that. I should have 80 or so I think.

Looks like I've only got about 68 left - someone can likely do better for you!

Can you make up the difference with 7mm 140g ballistic tips?

No, never used them sorry. I've got some 162 sst but that's about it.

P C
    Hey mate, I'm keen to swap for A-maxes. I should have enough (need to check tonight) for a straight swap of 100 a-max for 100 ELD-X. Send me a PM if you're still keen.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    So I bought a box (100) of these and opened it not realising they were not the same shape as the amax/eld-M and I can't be arsed working up a load plus I am running amax relatively slow so the slightly softer amax/eld-M would possibly suit me better at extended ranges. If anyone running or wanting to run ELD-X has some amax/eld-M they would like to swap I would take a lesser amount say 80 pills on the swap or pay the freight for your part on a box for box swap would also be open to swaps for 140g nosler ballistic tips
    Has anyone checked the ELD-M ? they have a higher listed BC than the old Amax suggesting its a different bullet as well.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Has anyone checked the ELD-M ? they have a higher listed BC than the old Amax suggesting its a different bullet as well.
    Due to the tip not melting?

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Its a pretty good increase,up to .670 from .625 The x is a completely new bullet also with a better bc than the old amax but not as high as the M so it beggs the question.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Its a pretty good increase,up to .670 from .625 The x is a completely new bullet also with a better bc than the old amax but not as high as the M so it beggs the question.
    Im not up with the latest but I thought the "M" was the old amax with the new tip and the "x'' was a new jacket and new tip for more controlled expansion, however this is only what I had read when all the fanfare for the new release came out not any actual experience.?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The new ELDMs do have higher BCs as tested by a couple of my clients in the field, with .30 & .338.

The advertised BCs seem to work well so far.....look out Berger....terminal performance is....very messy...

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im not up with the latest but I thought the "M" was the old amax with the new tip and the "x'' was a new jacket and new tip for more controlled expansion, however this is only what I had read when all the fanfare for the new release came out not any actual experience.?
    Iv read that as well and many other things, they haven't all been true though so Im interested in actual measurements. It would be good if they are just a new tip in the old case but thats a big jump in BC. Iv shot a couple of boxes of the .338 285gr M, they go well at Norma mag speeds.

I got a very quick reply from Hornadys tech team

"They are a completely new bullet with the new “Heat Shield” Tip. While the two bullets look similar the new ELD bullets, Match and X bullets, are redesigned and we strongly recommend NOT to use these Match bullets for hunting only the ELD-X bullets."

Thanks,

TZ
    veitnamcam likes this.

Can anyone post a picture or attach to a link to a picture of a 7mm 162 amax beside an ELD-X and an ELD-M? I cannot find one a base to ogive measurement with a comparator would be interesting too, I read one report of someone backing a load off from AMAX to ELD-X to avoid pressure issues I wonder if they will run about the same at an equivalent distance from the lands. From what I had read the profile of the ELD-M was either the same or closer to the amax shape than the ELD-X which is clearly different. I guess it will take a while for the details on how the X and M work on animals at various ranges to filter through.....