Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Armed police arrest man after gun spotted on Wellington street

Armed police arrest man after gun spotted on Wellington street

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/117...lington-street

Sorry, this one is a couple of days old. Another example - like the windscreen incident - of a report with the barest details leaving a lot of questions that certainly won't be revisited and answered by Stuff. Does anyone have more on this one please?

Next time I head out, putting the rifle in the car, will I be pulled over, say 20km on the way to the roadend; have multiple weapons pointed at my head, and have the hunting rifle I've used for the last 28 years seized and destroyed - just because a neighbour saw me load my vehicle?
    Has it always been this way?
    In what situation can a firearm be seized and destroyed like this? The above articles states that the firearm in question has been destroyed without charges at the time having been laid.

No doubt it was an illegal type of gun...no charges laid because having destroyed it they cant produce it in court.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Up to an couple years ago (mate moved)
    I used to walk around to his house with mine over my shoulder along with my other crap (wife’s term)
    Technically it was my land as a private road (a share at least) and he live in the next group of houses over
    No one batted a eye lid as I walked past 10 houses

Did get stopped one night coming back from hunting - very clearly we had been hunting - and a bunch of firearms on the back seat
    Was a main country road and they did a booze stop - just a breath test and they never even asked anything about anything else

A police spokeswoman said the gun was seized and had since been destroyed.
    An 'illegal' firearm taken under amnesty and disposed of maybe?

Does anyone know if you can do an open records request and request the details of an incident?
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Oh for fuck's sake

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    No doubt it was an illegal type of gun...no charges laid because having destroyed it they cant produce it in court.

I doubt if they would destroy the gun if they had any intentions of charging the guy.

I wonder if it was even a ‘real’ gun.
    headcase, tetawa and rewa like this.

Theres a video of it floating around on Facebook, Police all pointed firearms at him although he doesn't appear to be holding anything, gun must have been in his car.
    Hate to judge as obviously not there and just seen part of it but looked like they thought they were in Detroit ot something?
    headcase and Moa Hunter like this.

Why would you destroy the "evidence" before the court case, is there going to be one?

"...........A bystander saw the man pull out what appeared to be a gun and then put it into their car on Friday about 4.30pm.........."

"Appeared to be a gun?...........Pull it out.".............. Pull it out of what? Who is writing this twonk and peddling it as news?

Is it too much to expect that the news media cease plying primary school children with ice cream and sweets to provide the news reporting and advertise for some adults with at least some basic literary skills who can also manage joined up writing to undertake the news gathering roles?

Its the new normal.
    Within a day of the Mosque shooting a petition was circulating around my central Wellington street to get Gun City closed down.
    Im surrounded by Green voters, liberal arts people and University lecturers (whoops, I was one ).

A year ago I would trot up and down the 35 steps to my ute with my guns - sometimes uncovered. Not now.
    They are always in hard cases and I don't even use a case that I have that is a "gun" shape.

You just cant imagine the anti-gun sentiment in central Wellington.

None of them though ever turn down the venison I make sure that I offer them as often as I can - I think that in a little way they might just see that guns can be ok, and I always make a point of telling them about where and how it was shot.

My mud splattered ute and dog box complete with hunting and product decals is quite an oddity in my street. But I also hope slightly educating for its residents. I can leverage off me at one level being one of them, and at another being quite different, to hopefully help them see that guns are ok in the right hands.

But the reality is that most people around here are quite hostile to any sort of firearms for any reason.

Banned
    Seems that people here in NZ continually need 'a cause'. At present the main one is 'Climate Change', peak cow etc. But that cause doesn't satisfy the 'hate cause' mentality that some need because everyone is guilty to some extent. When we had the 'Every man is a rapist, wife-beater, child molester' cause back in the early 90's with innocent men being imprisoned for washing their own children, well then we had a cause that the Man Haters could really get behind.
    I wonder if part of the public Anti-gun movement is an anti Man cause reborn or at least the Anti gunners are using the anti Man Leso, commy, feminists?
    Growlybear and sharps no 1 like this.

I would assume as it was destroyed he wasn't holding an fal but you never know these days
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

"All Te News that fits Teh Narrative / Only Te News that fits Teh Narrative."
    veitnamcam, GravelBen and xtightg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Its the new normal.
    Within a day of the Mosque shooting a petition was circulating around my central Wellington street to get Gun City closed down.
    Im surrounded by Green voters, liberal arts people and University lecturers (whoops, I was one ).
    A year ago I would trot up and down the 35 steps to my ute with my guns - sometimes uncovered. Not now.
    They are always in hard cases and I don't even use a case that I have that is a "gun" shape.
    You just cant imagine the anti-gun sentiment in central Wellington.
    None of them though ever turn down the venison I make sure that I offer them as often as I can - I think that in a little way they might just see that guns can be ok, and I always make a point of telling them about where and how it was shot.
    My mud splattered ute and dog box complete with hunting and product decals is quite an oddity in my street. But I also hope slightly educating for its residents. I can leverage off me at one level being one of them, and at another being quite different, to hopefully help them see that guns are ok in the right hands.
    But the reality is that most people around here are quite hostile to any sort of firearms for any reason.
    One line you may reach them with: "I certify this venison to the best of my knowledge to be organic, and definitely cruelty-free, meat. Dr Tahr, Dec 2, 2019"

Seems to me only farm home kill meat can get anywhere close.
    Tahr likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

To be sure, we'd need to see Professor Fether's endorsement as well...
    Last edited by sightpicture; 02-12-2019 at 01:03 PM.