Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A cat to e cat

A cat to e cat

Hi can anyone pm were it says in the arms code about having to contact AO about changing your a cat to e cat please

Didn't think it says anything about it, you just go into the cop shop and get the form (or download one) POL67X from memory, fill it out, take the form and the gun to the AO, he signs it off and away you go.

Just make sure the firearm is still in A-Cat format when you take it in.
    AzumitH and mikee like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Definitely great advice
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Seriously this is the logical thing right? My AO INSISTS to see it in it's E-cat config when she takes the serial number and grants the endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Seriously this is the logical thing right? My AO INSISTS to see it in it's E-cat config when she takes the serial number and grants the endorsement.
    She's tricking you mate, next time you'll go in there with your deadly assault weapon and be surprised by two men in blue, who'll enthusiastically calm you with their night sticks before hurling you into the nearest dank pit of despair.

But yeah, my AO always reminds me not to bring anything in that's already E cat.
    Tommy likes this.

Haha, so she is asking you to put MSSA parts onto a non endorsed firearm (ie specific to that firearm), thereby creating a new MSSA without them giving you the approval prior.

My last one I had from A to E, was sitting in the safe with no pistol grip, stock or flash hider, but the AO wanted to see it complete in A-Cat form, so I had to put a thumbhole stock and thread protector on it to show it did indeed exist as a genuine A-cat and I wasn't building E-Cats from scratch.

Logical doesn't come into it unfortunately.

Moral of the story, always have a spare thumbhole stock in the safe.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Ask her next time if it's ok to drive your car into the station to then set the test to gain a drivers license (although that's exactly what I did for my drivers license all those years ago hehe)

There is no requirement for it to be in "E Cat" configuration. The endorsement only gives you the "permission" to have it in that configuration, if you want it can be swapped between A or E configurations as you choose (it will however be registered for transfers).

You may keep an AR with a thumbhole stock and only insert a magazine with a capacity larger than 7 rds, thus turning into an MSSA. Once you remove the magazine it is no longer an MSSA, and as such be shot by a non endorsed licence holder.
    mikee likes this.

A certain dealer lost his license and business over a situation like this, so I'm told. Sold an endorsement holder an A cat rifle that he intended to E cat, so sold him a 30 round mag to go with it. The guy took the rifle and mag in to the AO to get it changed over an the SHTF

I kid you not, ask anyone from Hawkes Bay about this.
    She says she needs to know what's going to be "E cat" about it and know for a fact that it's going to be E cat and not left in A cat.
    I tried to explain that I didn't actually have the money at the current time to buy the stocks and pistol grips I wanted for both my AR's and that I only wanted them endorsed now in order to be able to use proper sized magazines for 3 gun and then not have to worry about it when I can afford the stocks and grips.
    She wasn't impressed at all. Ended up borrowing a bit of kit and ticking some up on the credit card to just get it done with /sigh.

My AO said the same thing about a shotgun i put on E a few months back, said to take it into my local station in E cat config and get an officer to sign off the form for him, also had to email the AO photos of it. So i just did what he said.

I kid you not, ask anyone from Hawkes Bay about this.
    She says she needs to know what's going to be "E cat" about it and know for a fact that it's going to be E cat and not left in A cat.
    I tried to explain that I didn't actually have the money at the current time to buy the stocks and pistol grips I wanted for both my AR's and that I only wanted them endorsed now in order to be able to use proper sized magazines for 3 gun and then not have to worry about it when I can afford the stocks and grips.
    She wasn't impressed at all. Ended up borrowing a bit of kit and ticking some up on the credit card to just get it done with /sigh.
    What a thicko

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    There is no requirement for it to be in "E Cat" configuration. The endorsement only gives you the "permission" to have it in that configuration, if you want it can be swapped between A or E configurations as you choose (it will however be registered for transfers).

You may keep an AR with a thumbhole stock and only insert a magazine with a capacity larger than 7 rds, thus turning into an MSSA. Once you remove the magazine it is no longer an MSSA, and as such be shot by a non endorsed licence holder.
    Yep, no argument there.
    Koshogi likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

You're preaching to the choir unfortunately Koshogi
    dogmatix likes this.