Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 6 Post By 40mm
  • 5 Post By 40mm
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By tac a1
  • 4 Post By Maca49

Thread: cops and firearms

cops and firearms

hey all just a random question: can a police officer take your firearm off you on the spot even if they do not have a firearms license themselves?

just asking as i've heard some people say different things etc and just wanted to know what would happen if the cops pull you over and for some reason want to take your firearm and what your rights if they try like if there is more than one firearm license holder in a vehicle

cheers

Gone but not forgotten
    The police (and I think the defence force) are exempt from the Arms Act when doing their work duties so don't need a license .
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The police (and I think the defence force) are exempt from the Arms Act when doing their work duties so don't need a license .
    This is true.
    But they are not exempt from the law.

Speak to Nicholas Taylor. Or check out this handy leaflet Nicholas shared with us all.

NICHOLAS J. B. TAYLOR BA L.LB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    CIVIC CHAMBERS, Level 4, 2 Chancery St, Auckland City
    PO Box 4106, Shortland St, Auckland
    Mob: 021 362 123 www.firearmslawyer.co.nz n.taylor@civicchambers.co.nz
    8 February 2022
    What to do during a visit from the Police
    If the Police come and knock on your door -
    • The rules for all contact -
    i. Be polite but firm.
    ii. Ask to see identification.
    iii. Record the name of the officer and their station.
    iv. Ask why they are there.
    v. Ask them to refer to the exact statutory authority they are using to visit your home
    or to ask you any questions.
    vi. Record the conversation, either via your phone or CCTV cameras (for your own notes
    and records).
    • What is the situation -
    i. If you are a standard firearms licence holder - see Section 1.
    ii. If you are a firearms licence holder with an endorsed licence (for pistol, restricted
    weapon, prohibited firearm or prohibited magazine) - see Section 2.
    iii. If the police search your home - see Section 3.
    iv. If the police wish to question you - see Section 4.
    v. If your firearms licence has been suspended – see Section 5.
    Section 1 – If you are a standard firearms licence holder
    - You must permit the police to enter your home to inspect all of your firearms you are in
    possession of, along with your gun safe and security, and your ammunition and where it
    is stored.
    However:
    i) You must be given at least 7 days notice of this inspection occurring.
    ii) The inspection must be at a “reasonable time”. This is a time that most people in
    the community would consider to be reasonable, for example 9 am – 5 pm, and
    also if there was a good reason why it was not reasonable for the householder,
    for example “I have a sick child asleep in that room, please come back tomorrow
    at ….”.
    NICHOLAS TAYLOR – BARRISTER
    www.firearms.lawyer.co.nz
    iii) It only applies to firearms and ammunition you are actually in possession of (ie.
    control of). It does not include firearms that are in another person’s possession,
    such as a licenced friend, gunsmith or gun dealer etc. There is no requirement to
    disclose any information about a firearm not currently in your control or
    possession.
    - At no time can the police photograph your firearms.
    - At no time can they record the serial numbers of your standard firearms.
    - Under the Arms Regulations (29), the police may record the quantity and type of each
    firearm in your possession (note “type” refers to “rifle”, “shotgun” only).
    - It is an offence to refuse to let the police inspect your firearms, ammunition and security
    without a good reason. This once again only applies to firearms and ammunition you are
    actually in possession of.
    - You need to produce your firearms licence on demand, but you have 7 days to do this if
    it cannot be located immediately (s 26 2 of the Arms Act 1983).
    Section 2 - If you are an endorsed firearms licence holder
    - As a firearms licence holder, as in section 1 above, the police can, at a reasonable time,
    ask to see individual restricted or prohibited firearms that you hold as an endorsed
    person.
    - For this purpose they may enter the premises to view and inspect the restricted
    weapon, prohibited firearm or pistol, and the security for it.
    - You must be given at least 7 days notice of this inspection occurring 24 B (3) (a), as the
    endorsement for pistols, prohibited firearms and restricted weapons is attached to your
    standard firearms licence.
    - The inspection must be at a reasonable time to inspect your safe and security.
    - 5 am in the morning is not a reasonable time. For example, if you have a sick child or
    guests asleep in the room where the firearms are stored it is therefore not a reasonable
    time for you as the homeowner. Politely ask them to come back later or set a time with
    them for another day.
    - However, if it is a reasonable time, you must allow them to inspect your endorsed
    firearm (singular), (pistols, restricted weapons, prohibited firearms or prohibited
    magazines), and your safe(s) and security.
    - It is an offence to refuse to produce a pistol, prohibited firearm or restricted weapon to
    the police on demand, or to refuse their request to inspect it and the security for it, but
    this demand to inspect or produce is tempered by the fact that it must be a reasonable
    time to the home owner, and only if you are actually in possession of the items they are
    requesting at the time of their demand.
    - Remember, there is no such thing as a register of firearms in NZ. (until part 104 of the
    Arms Legislation Act comes into force in 24 June 2023) The police record of endorsed
    firearms is their own creation. It has no legal basis and is of little concern to you. The
    permission for you to possess a firearm comes from your endorsement and permit to
    possess or import that individual firearm.
    - You must produce your firearms licence on demand by the police. You have 7 days to
    comply with this demand if it cannot be immediately located.
    - The legal requirement states that the police must identify and ask to inspect a specific
    identified firearm (by make, model, caliber and serial number). Upon that request the
    endorsed licence holder must produce it for inspection. It is not a requirement that all
    need to be produced for inspection at once. Each separate item must be identified and
    then produced in turn in order to comply with the conditions on the endorsement.
    Section 3 – The Police enter your home via a search warrant, or under the Search and
    Surveillance Act warrantless search or Arms Act provisions for search.
    - Ask – “Under which enactment are you searching my home?”
    - Ask for a copy of any search warrant.
    - Do not answer any questions and say “no comment thank you”, “ I do not wish to make
    any statement or answer any of your questions”. You have a right to silence. If you are
    detained lawfully by the police you must give your name, address and date of birth, but
    nothing else. There is no such thing as “off the record”. Ask to call your lawyer without
    delay (Nicholas Taylor – Barrister; 021 362 123).
    - Record the name of the OC (officer in charge) and record QID numbers (collar tags) of all
    police staff attending the search.
    Section 4 - The Police ask you to attend the police station and/or come to your home and
    wish you to answer questions, eg. your name is on a “list” of people to be spoken to etc.
    - Get the name and QID number (collar tag) of the officer. Ask for identification.
    - Ask - “Under which statutory authority are you requiring me to answer these
    questions?”
    - Politely and calmly refuse to answer any questions.
    - Ask them to leave your property immediately
    - Call a lawyer who can advise or assist you with Official Information Act requests
    concerning the reasons for their visit and IPCA complaints if appropriate.
    - Record the conversations (for your own notes and records).
    SECTION 5 – The police issue you with a suspension of firearms licence notice (s60A Arms
    Act 1983
    - The Police can, without warning, and at any time of the night or day, appear at your
    address in force and issue you with a Notice of Suspension of Firearms Licence.
    - The Police “might/or may” demand you surrender all of your firearms and arms Items to
    them immediately.
    - No offence is committed by you if you refuse this demand.
    - Do not invite them into your home.
    - The Police may seize your arms items if you refuse, but they cannot enter your premises
    to do so.
    - The police will need to seek a search warrant or conduct a warrantless search for this
    seizure to actually occur. Certain legal requirements need to be met before this can
    occur and can be challenged.
    REMEMBER: A fit and proper person should be one who co-operates with the police
    within the requirements of the law, but not beyond it.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    This is true.
    But they are not exempt from the law. [/COLOR]
    thanks this was very helpful especially as i dont really know my right as a firearms owner

Quote Originally Posted by matthewhall2912 View Post
    thanks this was very helpful especially as i dont really know my right as a firearms owner
    Print it out and hang it by the front door.
    I have, means I can refer to it without having to go find it.
    Use enough gun

yeah they only need a firearms licence if they want to use firearms outside of their dutes of work

was funny seeing them come thru the mountain safety course
    the knowledge of the law and rules around firearms was a lot less than I would have expected, but then again these are full grown adults only now applying for a FAL

MB
    Let's not pretend that an FAL is worth much more than the piece of plastic it is printed on. The bar is pretty low.
    mikee and outlander like this.

Remember that if you are involved in a domestic situation (it happens) and the Police are called they are allowed to removed your firearms under the domestic violence act ( ie by enacting a statutory right of seizure) They dont need a warrant to do this.

Don't ask how I know this

Remember that if you are involved in a domestic situation (it happens) and the Police are called they are allowed to removed your firearms under the domestic violence act ( ie by enacting a statutory right of seizure) They dont need a warrant to do this.

Don't ask how I know this
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Between the Harbour Bridge and Brynderwyns
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Let's not pretend that an FAL is worth much more than the piece of plastic it is printed on. The bar is pretty low.
    I'm not so sure this is the case in the post CHCH. I went through the FAL licencing process since that and found the police checks and interviews very detailed and thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    I'm not so sure this is the case in the post CHCH. I went through the FAL licencing process since that and found the police checks and interviews very detailed and thorough.
    Pity they didn’t do a thorough job on Tarrant application. Would saved a lot of money and heart ache, not to mention lives
    Boom, cough,cough,cough