Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Could this be the Death knell of gun ownership ???

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Oh dear! What have I done here @mjmatsen? Is this comment in reference to the fact that I have been placing URL's for other sites/blogs?

If this is my offence, I will stop. My intention and hope was to generate some thoughtful and informed discussion around Firearms rights and the possible erosion of the same.
    My reference to other sites was just to provide a wider sphere of information for people to draw from.

I seem to have unwittingly upset some for various reasons.
    If this discussion is not wanted in this forum, for what ever reason, I shall stop adding to it.

I guess if it is not wanted the thread will die a natural death. Problem Solved!
    Clickbait, not because of the links, because of the overly dramatic thread title. I would never criticize someone for trying to gain knowledge. The greatest barrier to knowledge is the presumption you already have it. And also. Like a lot of clickbait, this thread is a subject moving target. It started off with a discussion on people shouldn't be promoting 'tactical' platforms as it harms the firearm ideology. With regards to firearm rights.... I think what is in place works. I only have one suggestion.... stop handholding idiots to help them pass the test portion. That's it

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    could someone name a firearm that hasnt been developed from a military desighn or any weapon for that matter
    @northdude

You COULD have taken @Carlsen Highway 's suggestion up and offered a cash prize. (-:

I suggest, maybe twin-barrel shotguns/rifles - too expensive for military mass production. Still fundamentally mil based perhaps.

Was rifling first used in private expensive hunting guns, or in military rifles? Suspect the former, but don't know.

I do know the percussion cap was invented by some reverend for shooting perching birds with his shotgun, so definitely not a military "first".

It comes back to the first handgonnes - muzzle loading pipes fastened to the ends of long sticks and lit by a handheld fuse. Definitely military, and all subsequent muzzle loaders based on this.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The "targets" I was referring to closely resemble what was roaming up and down the main street. Your call as to whether they are zombies or not.
    yep zombies were their heads down staring at something they were holding
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.

Whats not to like about 9mm pistol carbines?
    Google "Faxon 9mm AR Meltdown"
    You can shoot it all day long and it will keep going.

I haven't read any of the replies on the pages in between page one and this page, but the firearm in the original post would be pretty good for pig and goat control, especially with a higher capacity magazine and, at night, a thermal sight.

I don't think one guy at a BBQ, or even several, constitutes as a reliable sample group from which to arrive at the conclusion that any angst towards hunting firearms from the NZ public (as a whole), is correlated with/or sparked by ill feelings towards MSSA's. Does your sample group account for various socio-economic statuses, cultural groups etc?

If it was merely a loose idea - then where do you wish to go with it? Where does the debate come to some sort of resolution?

I'm not an MSSA user.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I haven't read any of the replies on the pages in between page one and this page, but the firearm in the original post would be pretty good for pig and goat control, especially with a higher capacity magazine and, at night, a thermal sight.

It would also be fantastic for mini rifle matches or for hunting any small game on DOC administered land whereby one cannot legally use a rim fire.

Either way this OP reeks of FUDD.

Guess we should start asking how many golf clubs you need or why you need your- insert vehicle here- of choice to be able to exceed the maximum road speed.
    How about why people are allowed to buy Bowie style knives or Bayonets for that matter?

See how completely stupid it can quickly become?
    northdude likes this.

I have a lighter and a can of petrol for my lawnmower...is this the death knell of gardening?
    Banana, Sasquatch and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    I have a lighter and a can of petrol for my lawnmower...is this the death knell of gardening?
    No. Now you can garden properly. Get the weed sprayer out, spay the weeds in one continuous line with the fuel, then light it with the lighter. Best way to garden yet.....Especially if is says something rude on google earth next time....
    csmiffy likes this.

Is this the death knell of this thread? I fucking hope so

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    could someone name a firearm that hasnt been developed from a military desighn or any weapon for that matter
    spear was designed for hunting before warfare

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    spear was designed for hunting before warfare
    No shit Sherlock and it wasn't ever a firearm either........ oh except for that day that dumbfuck Obig used it to hook something out of the lava on the side of the mountain and accidentally discovered fire on his arm.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Na im pretty sure when the three sako's I have rolled off the assembly line Sako didn't have killing human beings in mind when they left the factory. Albeit they are capable of doing so in the wrong hands . These plastic rattle guns and pistols on the other hand are generally made for law enforcement , The military and self defence which generally involves the quickest most efficient way of disposing of or maiming humans . Id be pretty confident they are not produced en masse to shoot paper targets .
    I can assure you non of my firearms had anything in mind when they left their factories because they're inanimate fucking objects.
    My CZ Shadow is actually specifically designed and produced 'en masse to shoot paper targets'. Maybe you don't know as much as you think you do....

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    This has been a very interesting read. I'm a farmer, been shooting since a kid (well over 40 years ago), but never set foot on a range in my life. I have no experience of what people do there, except shoot holes in paper. 3 gun sounds like a lot of fun and I'd be keen to have a go one day, allowing for the obvious problem of no B endorsement. I shoot for pest control and other farm use only. For culling goats etc on a farm an AR or AK makes a lot of sense, the same kind of design features that make them great military platforms also makes them great culling rifles for multiple targets.

I also live near the outskirts of a small coastal settlement of several hundred people, and sometimes shoot in view of the road (very busy around New Years period). I have noticed that even using my 10/22 with the bx15 mag is enough to scare some people. I suspect shooting with an E-cat AR or AK in this situation might result in a AOS call out! Maybe sometimes something like a mini-14/30 or sks/skk or kel tec 223 might not be quite so intimidating to people who experience firearms solely
    through Hollywood. In a private setting or range where no one will get upset is a different matter.

So all I'm saying is take some consideration for the views of others, no matter how much you might disagree with them.
    @Ben Waimata
    Where are you at exactly? I'm in Napier, give me a bell and I'll take you pistol shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    @Nathan F
    they were made for killing people, no doubt.

But so was the humble bolt action.

And i'd bet nearly everything you own is derived from some form of military research and development somewhere along the line....

Im not trying to be a prick, but even your hunting rifle is a descendant of a tool of war. Originally designed to kill people, but now used for sport.
    Firearms are not often made for one specific purpose, other than to sell for profit.
    mikee and northdude like this.