Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Could it be so simple?

Could it be so simple?

All hunters at one point or another think about how we can keep ourselves safe in the bush and even more so during peak times for hunting such as during the roar.

As I was sitting in the bush yesterday morning waiting out a heavy shower I gave some thought to how best we hunters could reduce the number of people being shot by others not identifying their target.

I know there are a million threads on this topic but...

Imagine if during the month of April it was prohibited to shoot hinds.

With a rule like this in place it would mean that hunters would need to slow right down and at least firstly determine the gender of the potential target. This in itself would help ensure hunters fully identify their targets and would prevent lousy pop shots aimed only at a rustling bush or piece of an animal.

Perhaps extend to prohibit the shooting of spiker stags or stags under X points during this period also which would go even further towards identification.

Some rules like this would also help increase deer numbers which is a bonus right?

Could it be so simple?

Who would police it? How would they prove it if butchered in the bush and head and dick was left behind?
    veitnamcam likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy69a View Post
    All hunters at one point or another think about how we can keep ourselves safe in the bush and even more so during peak times for hunting such as during the roar.

As I was sitting in the bush yesterday morning waiting out a heavy shower I gave some thought to how best we hunters could reduce the number of people being shot by others not identifying their target.

I know there are a million threads on this topic but...

Imagine if during the month of April it was prohibited to shoot hinds.

With a rule like this in place it would mean that hunters would need to slow right down and at least firstly determine the gender of the potential target. This in itself would help ensure hunters fully identify their targets and would prevent lousy pop shots aimed only at a rustling bush or piece of an animal.

Perhaps extend to prohibit the shooting of spiker stags or stags under X points during this period also which would go even further towards identification.

Some rules like this would also help increase deer numbers which is a bonus right?

Could it be so simple?
    Its already illegal to shoot people, you would think that would be enough reason to properly identify?

R93
    My thoughts exactly.
    I for the life of me don't understand why so called experienced hunters are shooting hinds and rat stags during the roar anyway.

Unless they are in a known trophy area and culling, it really baffles me to be honest.

How to imploment and enforce such a rule as no hinds and minimum points in NZ, I have no idea.

But it would be a start and it has been done and is working in some states of the US. They are also shooting better animals because of such a rule as bucks and stags are getting a bit of age on them.
    Imo people that shoot other people by not identifying their target are not experienced. They are not a hunters asshole.
    They are over excited and incompetent and have got away with bad habits for years.
    Cognitive bias is a bullshit copout imo. It is just a scientific excuse for stupidity.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ever played laser maze? I haven't but have always thought some similar techo shit could be worn by all hunters as a warning system

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Agreed about the impracticality of enforcing a rule like that.

But teaching more hunters to slow down and identify the age and sex as well as the species of an animal before firing may help reduce cases of wrong target identification.
    veitnamcam, R93 and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    Ever played laser maze? I haven't but have always thought some similar techo shit could be worn by all hunters as a warning system

Sent from my workbench
    They have tried, unless all wear it its a waste of time. You buying mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    They have tried, unless all wear it its a waste of time. You buying mine?
    Regulation may see it useful, hold onto it
    No way am I playing armed tramper

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    The idea could be useful but has its problems - not all hunters will use it (and certainly not other people like trampers), not all the units will be reliable all the time, but some hunters will forget about that and rely too much on the technology to replace their brain.

I think one of the biggest improvements in safety comes from using cognitive bias to your advantage - make your first question 'is it a person' instead of 'is it a deer'.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The idea could be useful but has its problems - not all hunters will use it (and certainly not other people like trampers), not all the units will be reliable all the time, but some hunters will forget about that and rely too much on the technology to replace their brain.

I think one of the biggest improvements in safety comes from using cognitive bias to your advantage - make your first question 'is it a person' instead of 'is it a deer'.
    but with such a device (none mentioned) surely it is encouraging you to hold your gun up at something and if no lights or sirens come back........kaboom, no need to identify as a machine does it. Dont see it working myself, infact it encourages bad behaviour

Hamish
    R93, GWH, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Yes this would be hard to police but the mere introduction of such a rule would at least get everyone identifying the animal before lining up a shot.

I think any type of gizzmo that picks up the presence of other hunters is a recipe for disaster

Even if a large percentage of hunters still took hinds and the prohibited stags, I bet many of them would identify them fully before the kill and that is point here.

This wouldn't even need policing and a few appearances by the authorities at the most highly trafficked road ends would be enough to get everyone talking about it and reinforce things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Its already illegal to shoot people, you would think that would be enough reason to properly identify?
    Agreed but there are obviously plenty of retards out there shooting through bushes or whatever.

Do you not think a rule similar to this would make anybody safer?

I do.

Yes this would be hard to police but the mere introduction of such a rule would at least get everyone identifying the animal before lining up a shot.

I think any type of gizzmo that picks up the presence of other hunters is a recipe for disaster

Even if a large percentage of hunters still took hinds and the prohibited stags, I bet many of them would identify them fully before the kill and that is point here.

This wouldn't even need policing and a few appearances by the authorities at the most highly trafficked road ends would be enough to get everyone talking about it and reinforce things a bit.
    So someone checking it's a hind at the carpark?? How do you tell if it's boned out??

Won't work in my view, reason I hunt public land is no one tells me what I can and can't shoot it is up to me

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Agreed but there are obviously plenty of retards out there shooting through bushes or whatever.

I do.
    The problem with any rule limiting what you can shoot is DOC. Their goal is to wipe out not manage. Maybe the only way is make a DOC permit conditional on doing a target ID course and test every 5 or so years. It could be done as a condition of obtaining a licence as well.

Not really, no.

Education and training usually helps, creating more rules for people who aren't following the existing rules doesn't.
    GWH and Steve123 like this.