Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Courier

Courier

This seemed like the most appropriate place to post this question...

What's the law regarding courier companies handling ammunition/firearms? I ordered a few hundred rounds of ammo with the mail order form etc, realised they were going to arrive today when I was at work and assumed they'd end up at the depot.

Came home to find that my unlicensed flatmate had signed for the package... are couriers allowed to do this? And while we're at it, how are they legally even allowed to transport this stuff without having a license?!

who cares
    Beavis, Brian, 338 man and 5 others like this.

Don't mistake my curiosity for caring. Means I don't have to go down to the depot tomorrow and pick them up

In my experience they only seem interested in separate parcels for a firearm and ammunition.

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Couriers have to have a DG license to carry gas bottles, chemicals etc this covers ammunition as well. They don't have to have a firearms license as they are just a means of transportation. Most RD people give permission for the driver to drop off parcels without a signature, heard that has happened in town as well. Guess it depends on how the stuff was sent track n trace or general parcel.

To them it's just another heavy parcel, one of thousands they see every day. So long as it's packed well they won't ever find out. Same goes for a rifle, if it hasn't got "THIS IS A BOOMSTICK" on the outside I'm sure it doesn't even cross thier minds

Just be glad your stuff arrived into the hands of a flatmate. I have had signature required stuff (2 rifle barrels) signed by the courier (well a scrawl at any rate) and as no one was home, left at the front door.
    southernredneck likes this.

I guess the question is did they know it was ammo?? To them it is just another box
    BRADS likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Carriage of goods act or somesuch.. it's somewhere in the law that courier/freight drivers don't require a license to transport weapons and ammo for the purposes of their job. Think ammo is only dangerous goods if above a certain weight, 5kg maybe?
    stumpy and timattalon like this.

45Carrying or possession of firearms, airguns, pistols, restricted weapons, or explosives, except for lawful, proper, and sufficient purpose
    (1)Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 4 years or to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to both who, except for some lawful, proper, and sufficient purpose,—
    (a)carries; or
    (b)is in possession of—
    any firearm, airgun, pistol, restricted weapon, or explosive.
    (2)In any prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) in which it is proved that the defendant was carrying or in possession of any firearm, airgun, pistol, restricted weapon, or explosive, as the case may require, the burden of proving the existence of some lawful, proper, and sufficient purpose shall lie on the defendant.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

^ what he said.

Also double check on the Terms and Conditions of carriage for the company, as each one varies. Have read many crys from people about courier companies stopping delivery when they discover it's firearms, ammunition, etc. NZ Post comes to mind, it's listed in their T&C's of prohibited items.
    stumpy likes this.

That's right about NZ post. However Fastways are more than happy to take firearms and ammo as they require all their drivers to have their DG's.

DPT
    We send and receive multiple firearms a day through fastway, nz couriers and Toll. No issues.
    Toby likes this.

For courier and truck drivers the "lawful, proper and sufficient purpose," is to effect the delivery of the goods. Ammunition, powder etc are "dangerous goods and must be labelled appropriately and the carrier must have the applicable paperwork. dangerous goods are dangerous good sand the above applies no matter the quantity. under 50kgs is classed as "dangerous goods in limited quantity" (DGLQ) and the carrying vehicle need not display a DG placard, though I always did anyway.
    timattalon likes this.

Ejected
    If everyone who handled a package containing a firearm needed a FAL then the pilot of the plan or ship it came to NZ on would also have to have a FAL which just makes no sense. Sporting guns and ammo is small bickies. How do you think mining explosives and artillary shells get sent around the world. How do dangerious chemicals and 1080 get shipped? It's just all freight at the end of the day...