Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Darwin is getting slow in his old age.

Darwin is getting slow in his old age.

Toddler accidentally kills mother in Wal-mart | Stuff.co.nz

I mean do people really need to carry concealed weapons in the USA?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Need ? Probably not, want to, now's that's a different story entirely.
    Quite why you'd carry a loaded pistol, with the safety off, in your purse God only knows
    Still, she won't do it again.
    Feel sorry for the kid.
    Last edited by Frogfeatures; 31-12-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: D'oh. Spelling

Do people really need to wear seatbelts?
    Maca49 and Koshogi like this.

or lock their doors at night.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

It's the American mentality. Someone is out there to do you great harm and here's the ability to protect yourself. The real shame is some American's don't see just how fucked up their country has become, as extremism in violence by everyone is becoming the norm.

Car jacking at the lights - better have a 357 in the car door.
    Home invasion - 12g loaded by the front door.
    Out supermarket shopping - have a loaded pistol in easy reach.

The pro-gunners say the increasing violence means someone with a gun is safer, the anti-gunners say the gun is causing the violence. And the rest of the world looks on and wonders why it's safer in Syria than Detroit.

I had a fascinating conversation with some Yanks in Florida last year over lunch at the local diner/lunch bar. They were all conceal carrying, all kept glancing to the door regularly, and all trained regularly for the 'what if' scenario - it's just a mentality that was hard for me to agree with. One was a former Army Ranger now professional shooter and instructor too.

Nobody in the world needs to carry a gun, until you need to shoot someone. Americans just have the luxury of being given the option to legally do so.
    scottrods likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

steven

It is their Constitutional Right to Bear Arms (2nd amendment).

Some choose to uphold their rights and carry ....some don't.

Unfortunately people do need to carry concealed weapons in the USA and elsewhere for that matter, simply to protect themselves.

Having the right to carry a concealed weapon for protection and invoking your right to do so is one thing.

Carrying a loaded pistol in you handbag and allowing your 2 year old to play with it is another.

In this case she has paid for her stupidity with her life.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam, scottrods and hamsav like this.

I was thinking about this yesterday , ... I have no prob with conceled carry or even open carry .... but one up the spout (if its a semi) is a little extreme , if it was a revolver then there is always one ready to go ..... and if its like mine , no safety then a pull on the trigger results in a boom .... its fukkin sad this has happened , that poor kid growing up will be scared for life ... killed their mom .... the purse should have been on mums shoulder , or elsewhere away from kids .... a few simple firearms rules were broken , and this is the result ....
    happy 2015
    steven likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    It's the American mentality. Someone is out there to do you great harm and here's the ability to protect yourself. The real shame is some American's don't see just how fucked up their country has become, as extremism in violence by everyone is becoming the norm.

Car jacking at the lights - better have a 357 in the car door.
    Home invasion - 12g loaded by the front door.
    Out supermarket shopping - have a loaded pistol in easy reach.

The pro-gunners say the increasing violence means someone with a gun is safer, the anti-gunners say the gun is causing the violence. And the rest of the world looks on and wonders why it's safer in Syria than Detroit.

I had a fascinating conversation with some Yanks in Florida last year over lunch at the local diner/lunch bar. They were all conceal carrying, all kept glancing to the door regularly, and all trained regularly for the 'what if' scenario - it's just a mentality that was hard for me to agree with. One was a former Army Ranger now professional shooter and instructor too.
    Kscott

I disagree with the Pro-gunners here.

Someone with a gun is Not Safer.

However someone with a gun is less likely to become a Victim if they have the means to fight back if confronted by an aggressor.
    And aggressors, like all bullies, are less likely to confront you if they believe you may have the means and the determination to fight back.
    Hence why open carry is becoming more popular.

And I strongly disagree with the Anti gunners

Guns aren't causing the violence.

People Are!

Cheers
    Pete

A client of mine said that the gun laws in the States are amazing as he did a 2.5 month tour thru on his Harley. No one is rude because you never know "if they are packing heat".He witnessed some scary incidents in family diners of thugs trying the tuff trick. Whammo the 45 gets pointed at the offender. Issue over.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday , ... I have no prob with conceled carry or even open carry .... but one up the spout (if its a semi) is a little extreme
    It is foolish to carry a firearm for defensive purposes which is not loaded. Do you think the Police would carry their pistols in condition 3? When you need your firearm in a potentially life threatening situation, you do not want to be already at a disadvantage.
    Spudattack and Banana like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    A client of mine said that the gun laws in the States are amazing as he did a 2.5 month tour thru on his Harley. No one is rude
    No one is rude in the states? Hahaha
    Last edited by Koshogi; 01-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    It is foolish to carry a firearm for defensive purposes which is not loaded. Do you think the Police would carry their pistols in condition 3? When you need your firearm in a potentially life threatening situation, you do not want to be already at a disadvantage.

from what I have seen of police with firearms , condition 3 may be the best for them ,.... situational awareness should be first , if it goes to amber rack the slide ....
    heinnz likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Violence is not increasing, it is decreasing. The US is at a 40 year low for violent crime. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/us/24crime.html

Gun crime has been dropping in the US (like everywhere else) since the 90s, which is when Americans started the push towards more CCW rights. Are they related? I would say they've helped, but wouldn't be the major factor. Correlation doesn't mean causation.

The fact is though is that there are more guns in the USA than ever before and gun crime has fallen. Gun crime has many more factors than merely the availability of guns.
    7mm-Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    from what I have seen of police with firearms , condition 3 may be the best for them ,.... situational awareness should be first , if it goes to amber rack the slide ....
    It can go from yellow to black in the blink of an eye.

If you carry a gun for a living, it's loaded.

I won't comment on the Israeli's technique. ...
    stumpy likes this.