Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Downwards or Safest Direction

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Pretty much all apartments would have floors and ceilings of at least 200mm concrete
    A lot now are actually using engineered timber for floors, I was just shooting the hmr17 @ 50m and it was blowing straight through 50mm thick timber. So maybe no where would be a safe direction if you where living in a multilevel apartment.
    Look out, they will ban all guns in apartments soon.

Pretty much all apartments would have floors and ceilings of at least 200mm concrete
    Not these days with steel deck systems, place Im working at now would go as low as 70mm in some spots, thankfully the floor above hadnt been tiled yet.

I think last place I did deckwork on our conduits couldnt go above 60mm and that was with just precast concrete and timber pailings between them.

I wouldnt feel safe if some turkey was above me shooting into the concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    A lot now are actually using engineered timber for floors, I was just shooting the hmr17 @ 50m and it was blowing straight through 50mm thick timber. So maybe no where would be a safe direction if you where living in a multilevel apartment.
    Look out, they will ban all guns in apartments soon.
    I have guns in mine, you will never ever see a rifle at the same time you see bolts and ammunution at my place, theyre both locked up or its one or the other. I simply will not risk it in the middle of the CBD not that you should anywhere I suppose but I am extra vigilant about this in town.
    Cyclops likes this.

I stand corrected.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I stand corrected.
    No you are correct and some are indeed 150 to 200mm thick, just more of an FYI with modern building techniques.

I stand corrected.
    See you learn something new every day
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    You can't say that, because you don't know that, you haven't read their rules, I'm fairly certain if you can tell someone just misread a question because they got every single other question right, sure you can give them the benefit of the doubt.
    And why do think I don't know that and don't know their rules?

When i took mine, Safest direction was correct answer.
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    If he was telling the truth then I can't understand why the instructors told him that knowing that answer would be a fail in the MSC test.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    And why do think I don't know that and don't know their rules?
    Because you're not a MSC instructor, are you?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Because you're not a MSC instructor, are you?
    What makes you think that presumptuous one?

Last night one of the guys in my team sat his licence test at the Manukau Police Station. The trainer Dave (Mountain Safety Instructor) said that pointing the rifle in the safest direction is the answer required for the exam but he said his preference as an instructor is to point your firearm upwards as this is the safest direction and was teaching this to all the people at the course. He said that at least if the gun was to fire the bullet would go up and then fall and a non lethal rate. This might be the case if it is fired straight up but not if the gun is up but at an angle. :S

I've just done my renewal. The "safest direction" was the only possible sensible answer when I trawled through the little book that is supplied with the application materials. It quotes the exact words, so that to me is obviously the answer that is being sought.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    Last night one of the guys in my team sat his licence test at the Manukau Police Station. The trainer Dave (Mountain Safety Instructor) said that pointing the rifle in the safest direction is the answer required for the exam but he said his preference as an instructor is to point your firearm upwards as this is the safest direction and was teaching this to all the people at the course....
    Therefore, according to this instructor, even if you're on the ground floor of a multi floor building, pointing your firearm upwards is the safest direction???

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I've just done my renewal. The "safest direction" was the only possible sensible answer when I trawled through the little book that is supplied with the application materials. It quotes the exact words, so that to me is obviously the answer that is being sought.
    Exactly, it's pretty obvious as you say.
    rs200nz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Therefore, according to this instructor, even if you're on the ground floor of a multi floor building, pointing your firearm upwards is the safest direction???
    If you're on the ground floor of a multi-floor building with a loaded firearm, you point it in the safest direction there is. The preference for safety is up, yes, for the situation at hand. But you can't stop stupid people doing stupid things.