Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fastways Couriers WTF!

Fastways Couriers WTF!

Outrage after Fastway courier leaves rifle at wrong address - no signature required

SUPPLIED
    The intended recipient lived 50 kilometres away and was "outraged".

A Christchurch woman was "mad and scared" when she came home to find a courier had wrongly dropped a rifle at her back door – no signature required.
    A Fastway courier delivered the gun-shaped parcel – labelled as a rifle – to her Avonside home on Tuesday having confused it with a property 50 kilometres away.
    The package was left near a pile of children's shoes and a bike, as no-one was home to sign for it.
    SUPPLIED
    The label reads "rifle", but that did not stop a courier leaving it on a doorstep of the wrong house.

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, phoned police after finding the parcel propped against the back door, near where her children played.
    READ MORE:
    * Police officer who left loaded gun at Parliament keeps job, won't face charges
    * Where do guns used in crimes come from?
    * Police favour idea of gun amnesty amid fears criminal access to firearms is increasing

"I'm confused and I don't know how this has happened, obviously no-one was hurt, but the courier didn't know what type of person I was. Anything could have happened," she said.
    SUPPLIED
    Fastway Couriers came under fire last year when an absent-minded courier dropped a package containing a gun on a Wellington doorstep.

"I am so mad and scared. Our neighbourhood isn't the greatest, and what if a neighbour found it. Or my children.
    "I'm not a gun person. I've never touched a gun and I don't like having a gun in my house, I really didn't even know how to hold it to pick it up."
    Police collected the firearm.
    She phoned Fastway about 1pm to complain and was told a manager would return her call. By 4.30pm she had not heard back, so called again.

"I was transferred to a manager who sounded angry to be interrupted. He explained he was waiting for the driver to get back and would 'rake him over the coals'."
    There was no apology and no recognition of how the rifle could have fallen into the wrong hands, she said.
    The intended recipient, hunter Christopher Doig, was outraged.
    He has a firearms licence and expected the gun to be dropped at his home in Darfield. The two street names are similar. The post code on the package was for the wrong area.
    "I'm pretty angry about this. I'll have to take a time off work to go and pick it up, which I just shouldn't have to do.
    "This is serious, it's a firearm – it should only be left when it's signed for by you," Doig said.
    Fastway came under fire last year when an absent-minded courier dropped a package containing a gun on a Wellington doorstep.
    The couple ordered the gun from Trade Me, but were shocked to find it unattended and in clear sight of potential thieves.
    Fastway's terms and conditions state a delivery is deemed successful when the courier obtains a receipt, captures an electronic signature, or signed delivery sheet from any person at the address.
    Franchisee Scott Mitchell said an internal inquiry into the latest incident and a review of procedures was under way.
    "Any changes to procedures or staff disciplinary action will be based on the outcome of the internal inquiry," Mitchell said.
    "Fastway Couriers have a procedures policy for transporting firearms and unfortunately this was not fully adhered to in this instance."
    A police spokeswoman said an officer would contact the courier company to "discuss the matter".
    "The firearm is currently secured at the Christchurch Central police station, and its rightful owner has been contacted and will be coming into the station to pick it up."
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sounds like them, delivered a rifle to me when I was living in Culverden, it got delivered to some rural address down near Oamaru somewhere, also lost my Sako when it was on its way back from Ken Henderson 6 months ago, they still don't know where it is and still haven't rang me back, the "investigation" is still open. (I have it, tracked it down myself..)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Sounds like them, delivered a rifle to me when I was living in Culverden, it got delivered to some rural address down near Oamaru somewhere, also lost my Sako when it was on its way back from Ken Henderson 6 months ago, they still don't know where it is and still haven't rang me back, the "investigation" is still open. (I have it, tracked it down myself..)
    Thats Shit alright
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Totally grounds to fuck with the them, and the timing is now perfect
    veitnamcam, 199p, Munsey and 2 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

sadly I can see Fastways response being that they stop providing courier service for rifles/firearms. Where does that leave us punters needing to get a rifle off to the gunsmith down line ?? Fastways are currently about the only game in town to my knowledge.
    338, bully, SlimySquirrel and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    sadly I can see Fastways response being that they stop providing courier service for rifles/firearms. Where does that leave us punters needing to get a rifle off to the gunsmith down line ?? Fastways are currently about the only game in town to my knowledge.
    Last time I checked NZpost were still shipping "driveshafts for vehicles".....
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    That'd suck for sure.

But I can't find anything on PBT's website to say they don't. I sent my shotgun with them last week, not that they knew.

Last time I checked NZpost were still shipping "driveshafts for vehicles".....
    Until it goes missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Until it goes missing.
    You would still have more chance of a result than a missing rifle via fastways..
    veitnamcam and Maca49 like this.

Some one not following procedures, but no worse than the AO not letting a firearm be delivered to me at work and instead saying it had to go to a dealer, a courier depot or my place of residence, where my security is.
    Should always go to the safest option.
    But it's getting harder to move firearms around for sure!
    199p likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

And yet I know someone who took their rifle into a shop to get scope caps and didn't have their license on them so the shop wouldn't let them leave with said rifle... No ammo purchased but store policy to see licence if firearm comes in the door.....

And on the way out of town for a hunting trip
    Cordite likes this.

You would still have more chance of a result than a missing rifle via fastways..
    I would not bet on it, NZ Post holds the record for losing parcels I ship stuff with them a few times a week in five years their "investigators" have not recovered
    any of the ten parcels they have lost, just as well they are not pricey items, If you post any item that is on their band list and they lose it there is no compensation
    any thing to do with firearms is band, Not worth the risk, I use Fastways a lot as well for firearms never had a problem guess I'm lucky
    Maca49 and Jexla like this.

northdude
    hows this for a dumb idea how about they get delivered to the local police station and you pick it up from there
    snowstorm and Biggun708 like this.

northdude
    ive only ever used nz post to ship firearms

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    hows this for a dumb idea how about they get delivered to the local police station and you pick it up from there
    How about we keep the police away from more firearms duties, preferably they had no role in administering the arms act at all.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ive only ever used nz post to ship firearms
    Like it's been said, you wouldn't be compensated if it were lost or they somehow found out what it was, so use at your own risk, and if you're happy with that then that's no problem.
    veitnamcam, zimmer and Ben-tard like this.

I would never use post if I can avoid it. When I was in retail we had a carton come in "damaged a bit" from them and they wanted us to open with them present so we did not bill them for stuff that was not broken. It was a commercial carton of 24 Thermos flasks (yup- the old glass ones) Now I can understand the odd one of these being broken, but these ones were broken because the Stainless steel trays that were also packed in the carton from the same supplier, had been crushed so badly they went through the centre of the flasks. Whatever hit that package hit it with enough force to BEND 24 Stainless waiters trays stacked one inside the other, and puch them into the adjacent carton. It looked like a fork lift fork had been rammed through the box......

Post can go git (d)ucked!!!!