Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Stager BLK


User Tag List

Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

  1. #451
    Member buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    taihape
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb View Post
    Just a quick question do you have to wait for the license card before bying a firearm?
    Got confirmation that license has bee granted but the card will take 6 weeks to arrive.
    Pretty sure you will have to wait


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #452
    Member Cyclops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    In the Mainland
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb View Post
    Just a quick question do you have to wait for the license card before bying a firearm?
    Got confirmation that license has bee granted but the card will take 6 weeks to arrive.
    I have obtained my license number separately from the actual license.
    Talk to your local firearms office - they may able to provide you with your number.
    A retailer can then phone them to confirm the details.

    That's what happened to me when I was waiting for a replacement license.

  3. #453
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    6
    I applied for a first time License December 2020, Will be a 9 month wait by the time I do the course in September 21.

    What was interesting is I emailed the FAO a couple weeks ago about the wait time, I then received a confirmation letter the next day that was dated a couple months back.. wtf

    Also is anyone able to tell me if the "practical training" after the test is a 1 on 1 or a group activity? cheers

  4. #454
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Rodney District
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertHunter View Post
    I applied for a first time License December 2020, Will be a 9 month wait by the time I do the course in September 21.

    What was interesting is I emailed the FAO a couple weeks ago about the wait time, I then received a confirmation letter the next day that was dated a couple months back.. wtf

    Also is anyone able to tell me if the "practical training" after the test is a 1 on 1 or a group activity? cheers
    Bad news for you but it's probably going to be much longer than a 9 month wait, after the test you still have to wait until the AO gets in touch for the safe inspection and interview. In my case that was 4 months after I did the test. Then you'll have to wait after that for them to tell you the outcome. And then you'll have to wait more to get the actual licence card in the mail.

    The test itself is harder that I expected, they get everyone to sit it right at the beginning and you can only get 2 questions out of 30 wrong, except for the first 7 or 8 questions where you can't get any wrong. If you fail this test you'll be able to resit it with the alternate version at the end of the course. If you fail this then that's it. Don't underestimate the test, just under half the group I was with failed both attempts (although the instructor did say this was the most he had ever seen fail, maybe the group I was in was particularly bad). If I hadn't studied the whole arms code and relied on the online modules I would have failed it.

    The practical training is probably the easiest part of the day. They split everyone into groups of 4 - 5 and you take turns practicing moving bolt action and semi auto (deactivated) .22s through the various states (load, action, instant, unload) and saying what state the firearm is in out loud. The course I did had no functioning pump actions but I believe they use these as well. The instructor walks around observing and if you visibly have no idea, are pointing firearms in an unsafe direction, or generally not inspiring confidence he may make notes and notify the police of his thoughts. How I found this out was that one lady in the group I was with was terrifyingly incompetent to the point that most people noticed and / or remarked on it. I asked the instructor after the course what happens in these cases as she technically did pass the theory test.
    Jusepy and CovertHunter like this.

  5. #455
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    Bad news for you but it's probably going to be much longer than a 9 month wait, after the test you still have to wait until the AO gets in touch for the safe inspection and interview. In my case that was 4 months after I did the test. Then you'll have to wait after that for them to tell you the outcome. And then you'll have to wait more to get the actual licence card in the mail.

    The test itself is harder that I expected, they get everyone to sit it right at the beginning and you can only get 2 questions out of 30 wrong, except for the first 7 or 8 questions where you can't get any wrong. If you fail this test you'll be able to resit it with the alternate version at the end of the course. If you fail this then that's it. Don't underestimate the test, just under half the group I was with failed both attempts (although the instructor did say this was the most he had ever seen fail, maybe the group I was in was particularly bad). If I hadn't studied the whole arms code and relied on the online modules I would have failed it.

    The practical training is probably the easiest part of the day. They split everyone into groups of 4 - 5 and you take turns practicing moving bolt action and semi auto (deactivated) .22s through the various states (load, action, instant, unload) and saying what state the firearm is in out loud. The course I did had no functioning pump actions but I believe they use these as well. The instructor walks around observing and if you visibly have no idea, are pointing firearms in an unsafe direction, or generally not inspiring confidence he may make notes and notify the police of his thoughts. How I found this out was that one lady in the group I was with was terrifyingly incompetent to the point that most people noticed and / or remarked on it. I asked the instructor after the course what happens in these cases as she technically did pass the theory test.

    Thanks for that, very helpful, I wasn't sure what to expect and there is no in-depth info about the course other than the description when booking it, cheers

    Unfortunately, I think you are right about my license, I'm not expecting it until next year especially after reading other guys' experiences on here. I will be staying on the AO case from now on though.

  6. #456
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    127
    The test isn't too bad if you're prepared. I watched/read the online modules, skimmed the arms code and repeated until I could pass all of the online quizzes with no wrong answers. There were no left field questions in the actual test, I felt, if you're familiar with the online tests. There were about 12 of us on the day of the course, and two failed the test on the first run. As far as I know, they passed the second round.

    That's bad luck with the wait for the course referral. That was the only prompt part of my experience when applying.

    Edit: whoops, I skimmed the Arms Act, not the code. I recommend reading the code in full.
    Last edited by Rush; 05-08-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    CovertHunter likes this.

  7. #457
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Fielding-ish
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Interesting; a few of days ago had the firearm licencing dept ring to ask how long ago my last long term relationship was. I told them 6-years. They said that if it was 5-years or under ago they now have to contact your ex to speak to them too..... When she rang me she said that the licence will be through soon
    That is disturbing given the nature of relationships generally. I still talk to ex GFs from way back, and ex-wife, but, most guys I know dont, and would get 'bad-press' from them, if they were interviewed. This is the most dodgy thing i have heard so far. Police would know full-well, that most recent 'Ex's', would only have negative things to say. Why would they pursue this avenue, where there isnt some Legal-history of abuse etc. ? (you wouldnt get a licence if there was, and they would already know about it). People need to be informed about this...'No Officer, I'm gay, Barry over there was my last fling..hey Barry, should I be allowed to own a firearm ?'...Barry..'Yeh mate, absolutely'...See Officer..all good...you're not gay by any chance ?'
    buzzman, CovertHunter and Fatberg like this.

  8. #458
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    15
    I applied in July 2021, took the exam in Sept 2021, I am still waiting for the vetting officer to contact my reference today. Of course this may be the Aucklander usual waiting time

    I am always patient but I think this is too long to be honest.

  9. #459
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by hakka_ranger View Post
    I applied in July 2021, took the exam in Sept 2021, I am still waiting for the vetting officer to contact my reference today. Of course this may be the Aucklander usual waiting time

    I am always patient but I think this is too long to be honest.
    Do you mean 2020?

    Don't understand you're date..

  10. #460
    Member Chur Bay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,039
    I got mine this week. Put my application in back in Feb I think.

  11. #461
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    19
    Applied late January 2020 got licence a week ago .
    CovertHunter likes this.

  12. #462
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertHunter View Post
    Do you mean 2020?

    Don't understand you're date..
    Opps sorry yeah it was 2020

  13. #463
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    Bad news for you but it's probably going to be much longer than a 9 month wait, after the test you still have to wait until the AO gets in touch for the safe inspection and interview. In my case that was 4 months after I did the test. Then you'll have to wait after that for them to tell you the outcome. And then you'll have to wait more to get the actual licence card in the mail.

    The test itself is harder that I expected, they get everyone to sit it right at the beginning and you can only get 2 questions out of 30 wrong, except for the first 7 or 8 questions where you can't get any wrong. If you fail this test you'll be able to resit it with the alternate version at the end of the course. If you fail this then that's it. Don't underestimate the test, just under half the group I was with failed both attempts (although the instructor did say this was the most he had ever seen fail, maybe the group I was in was particularly bad). If I hadn't studied the whole arms code and relied on the online modules I would have failed it.

    The practical training is probably the easiest part of the day. They split everyone into groups of 4 - 5 and you take turns practicing moving bolt action and semi auto (deactivated) .22s through the various states (load, action, instant, unload) and saying what state the firearm is in out loud. The course I did had no functioning pump actions but I believe they use these as well. The instructor walks around observing and if you visibly have no idea, are pointing firearms in an unsafe direction, or generally not inspiring confidence he may make notes and notify the police of his thoughts. How I found this out was that one lady in the group I was with was terrifyingly incompetent to the point that most people noticed and / or remarked on it. I asked the instructor after the course what happens in these cases as she technically did pass the theory test.
    These must be something new, Load is self explanatory and so is unload, "action" to me when talking about a firearm is the part of a rifle that the barrel, scope and stock are attached to and the only instant thing I can think of when mentioned in relation to a firearm is "instant gun blue" or instant coffee.

    To me, for simplicity a firearm is either loaded or unloaded so what are they now teaching new applicants?

  14. #464
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Rodney District
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    These must be something new, Load is self explanatory and so is unload, "action" to me when talking about a firearm is the part of a rifle that the barrel, scope and stock are attached to and the only instant thing I can think of when mentioned in relation to a firearm is "instant gun blue" or instant coffee.

    To me, for simplicity a firearm is either loaded or unloaded so what are they now teaching new applicants?
    They are teaching this from the online modules:

    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...Nlv03DE4aruskl


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CovertHunter likes this.

  15. #465
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    8,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    They are teaching this from the online modules:

    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...Nlv03DE4aruskl


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well watching that made me cringe....................all these years using my thumb to operate safety on my shotty....................I have been doing it incorrectly, Should have been using my trigger finger !!!! Wtf.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Re-licencing.....
    By bumblefoot in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM
  2. Trial Firearm Licence Firearm Safety Programme
    By Krameranzac in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 20-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!