Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Firearm Storage Requirements

Firearm Storage Requirements

curly question for you guys. I have my E endorsement which obviously requires me to keep my rifle in an 'E" Endorsed safe and store ammo separately etc. No problem at all.

What happens when I decide to go up north to my in-laws farm and do some possum culling. Where do I store the rifle while away as it won't be in an 'E' endorsed safe that has been approved in my house? I guess this applies to A cat gear as well as it needs to be locked in your house.

Wondered what your thoughts were?

Cheers.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Good question.

Strictly speaking I should imagine you'd have to keep the E Cat firearm with you the entire time. Highly impractical though if you wanted to go out to a restaurant for dinner or such with the in-laws. An Cat firearm could be stored in an A Cat safe at the in-laws if they have one.

Basically, the same situation arises when you may be away hunting and staying in a hut.

If I recall correctly I was advised you have to take all reasonable steps.

I have a hard case for an A cat rifle. The case gets padlocked and locked to a heavy chain which is in turn locked to attachment points in the vehicle.
    Bolt and ammunition stored separately. Bolt taken with me when I leave the vehicle. Locked case taken indoors where I am staying.

This is more than I see a lot of shooters doing.

I parked at supermarket the other day, looked over at ute next to me. Saw full gun bag on passenger seat, door unlocked and no one in sight. If I was inclined it would have been too easy to pinch
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    If I recall correctly I was advised you have to take all reasonable steps.

I have a hard case for an A cat rifle. The case gets padlocked and locked to a heavy chain which is in turn locked to attachment points in the vehicle.
    Bolt and ammunition stored separately. Bolt taken with me when I leave the vehicle. Locked case taken indoors where I am staying.

This is more than I see a lot of shooters doing.
    Thanks for the post

Tried looking through the arms code in more detail but can't see anything. I do recall something about taking reasonable steps but there really isn't anything defined but possibly i'm not looking in the correct spot. The house I would be going to has no safe or storage as they don't have firearms. Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Good question.

Strictly speaking I should imagine you'd have to keep the E Cat firearm with you the entire time. Highly impractical though if you wanted to go out to a restaurant for dinner or such with the in-laws. An Cat firearm could be stored in an A Cat safe at the in-laws if they have one.

Basically, the same situation arises when you may be away hunting and staying in a hut.
    That would look great at the dinner table haha. Me sitting there rocking backwards and forwards haha

I thought you werent allowed to leave a firearm unattended in a vehicle. Mine gets padlocked to the bedframe when Im up at my inlaws.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I parked at supermarket the other day, looked over at ute next to me. Saw full gun bag on passenger seat, door unlocked and no one in sight. If I was inclined it would have been too easy to pinch
    Gezz that's bad!! I hope to never come across someone like that in the bush. Probably just as ruthless with their identification!

The Arms Codes says "Licence holders must take reasonable steps to secure firearms against theft." and "Never leaving your firearm in an unattended vehicle."

The second statement is very impractical. It would mean that you carried your firearm into the petrol station when paying for fuel or café when getting a coffee. If it is in a case it might not cause too much concern but it would be most unusual to see this done.

I focus on the first statement and (as I said above) the reasonable steps one can take.

‘Unattended’ means no-one is in, near or able to watch the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    ‘Unattended’ means no-one is in, near or able to watch the vehicle.
    If you're in a queue paying for fuel &/or coffee you won't be watching your vehicle, not with the design of most petrol station forecourts.

...able to watch the vehicle

I'll take my with me into the supermarket than leave it unattented in the vehicle. Good thing about an AR it can be broken down to fit into a backpack. Be interesting if they ask to do a bag check
    Tommy likes this.

If I had to, it would be covered, out of sight from the outside of vehicle, and vehicle fully closed and locked. But I don't leave my shootas unattended anywhere anytime. It just blew my mind that some people don't care bout the 'what if' senarios that can and do happen
    Ya can't park there mate.