Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: firearm transport storage conditions

firearm transport storage conditions

hey all i was browsing instagram this morning when I saw hamills taupo talking about now needing a trigger lock while transporting. can anyone clear this up and explain the rules on transporting now as I have only gotten my firearms license and it seems like the cops are changing the rules every 2 weeks

cheers

locked case , bolt out.
    but its all so bloody weird how nothing has been sent to LFO's by mail etc but we have a media team of 12 just for princess happyteeth alone!
    outlander likes this.

From police update when transporting firearms:
    "Firearms must be concealed from view from outside of the vehicle. They must also be made inoperable, if readily possible, by removing the bolt or another vital part (which should be kept under direct possession and control of the licence holder or stored out of sight separately from the firearms). If that is not possible, for example in the case of a lever action or semi-automatic or single shot firearm, then the firearms must be fitted with a trigger lock or travel in a locked case or carry bag."

I am sure someone will be posting a link soon. My take on it is the firearm must be made inoperable. So a bolt removed covers this. If its a semi shotgun or lever action ect the firearm must have a trigger lock or in a locked case. A shotgun like a under/over fits into its box in bits so its inoperable but a lock on the box I also go for. Ammunition and bolt kept separate in a locked box. All my locks are combination locks so I dont leave any keys at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmilleng View Post
    From police update when transporting firearms:
    "Firearms must be concealed from view from outside of the vehicle. They must also be made inoperable, if readily possible, by removing the bolt or another vital part (which should be kept under direct possession and control of the licence holder or stored out of sight separately from the firearms). If that is not possible, for example in the case of a lever action or semi-automatic or single shot firearm, then the firearms must be fitted with a trigger lock or travel in a locked case or carry bag."
    Maybe an idea to read 20 Bore's post.