Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Firearms license duration

Firearms license duration

I have read where people that are getting their firearms license renewed get it back dated to when their previous license expired and recently heard about someone that applied real early and the dated the renewal from when they applied, yet their current license hadn't expired.

Is this actually happening, am I hearing things correctly?

I've heard the same, but can't confirm it.

My renewed license was dated from date of approval/final sign-off (not date I applied), which gave me an approx 3 month overlap period with both new and old licenses valid.

Seems perfectly valid to me in this case - they’re granting me a new 10 year license period from the date of approval. When my previous license expires has no real bearing on this.

The first case you mention, with them back-dating, I would be less thrilled about, as in many cases you won’t have had the use of the license during that period, however, it may be necessary to do it in their system that way to ensure that the license is considered as renewed and continuous rather than having lapsed in-between. Even though it’s due to their own systemic failings..
    timattalon likes this.

Yeah, the back-dating would suck. The Arms Act says..."25 Duration of firearms licence (1) A firearms licence comes into force on the date specified in the licence", but in reality it doesn't.

Yes. I applied for mine 3 months before it expired, once it had actually expired they then told me they had no record of me ever having applied to renew, so I had to go through the process again and then it took another 11 months to be approved and sent out. Whilst my old licence was expired they made it very clear that I wasn't to be in possession of any firearms and then when the new one came they had backdated it to the date my old one expired, basically contradicting their own advice and saying that I did have a valid firearms licence the entire time. It's a shambles. They want to run a register which I don't actually have anything against, I do have a bone to pick about their ability to actually run that register properly
    Moa Hunter, Danger Mouse and Ned like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

From my understanding, the Police can not alter the duration of your license ie if a 10 year license then they can not shorten the duration or lengthen the duration.

Effectively by backdating the commencement date they are shortening the duration, and by dating it from sign off when your current license doesn't expire for 3 months they have altered the duration of your previous license.

I applied early for my renewal, the processing was quicker than expected so I had the option of accepting the renewal or waiting until the expiry of my old license and the renewal taking effect from that date....
    I took the "bird in hand approach" - send me my new one now so that I don't have to worry about remembering/inadvertently not being compliant.... Problem I now have is that my new license expires at Christmas time (If I'd held off it would have been February).

This so called hitch is not exclusive to police .being over 65(rising 68actually) ive got Winstons gold card! anyhow wifey and I both received new ones in the mail-trouble is me original dont expire until 2024 and the replacement in 2025.couldnt be buggered seeking answers just get the usual run round.

When a dealers license has expired and the new license hasn't been issued there is no obligation on the dealer to remove firearms and ammo from his premises, why so then for "joe public" on their A class.
    Sasquatch likes this.

I applied about 5 months before expiry. Renewal took longer than that, and licence expired during renewal.

The new licence expiry date is from when it was approved, which is about a month after the old one's expiry date, not the date I applied. The new licence is valid for 10 years.

I certainly don't feel short-changed.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

so I understood that all renewed and new licences were only going to be 5 yrs , but they also gave my 2 family members brand new licences for 10 yrs ...
    Am I missing something - was the 5 yrs dropped ??
    born to hunt - forced to work

@Ryan_Songhurst - Police send a confirmation email when your application pack lands in their inbox. It may be that your application didn't get through, they deleted it, or whatever.

The lesson for everyone applying to renew is make sure you have evidence of every interaction with them. Check your email inbox and spam box, to make sure you get confirmation, or you will not be able to hold them accountable.
    timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    so I understood that all renewed and new licences were only going to be 5 yrs , but they also gave my 2 family members brand new licences for 10 yrs ...
    Am I missing something - was the 5 yrs dropped ??
    I was worried about the 5 year period too, but can assure you that it is still 10 years. If they reduced it to 5 years, their workload would double overnight.

5 year licences may still be introduced in the future though. (when there are only 50 of us left that have been able to jump through all their hoops, and they can handle the admin! )
    Moa Hunter and Ftx325 like this.

All renewals are for 10 years.
    New licences are 5 years, but that may depend when your application was in the system.

Copied from the Arms Act
    25 Duration of firearms licence
    (1) A firearms licence comes into force on the date specified in the licence and, unless revoked or surrendered earlier,—
    (a) expires 5 years from that date in the case of—
    (i) a licence issued to a person who has never previously held a firearms licence; or
    (ii) a licence issued to a person whose previous licence was revoked or surrendered; or
    (iii) a licence issued to a person who allowed their previous licence to expire without applying for a new licence before the expiry date:
    (b) expires 10 years from that date in any other case.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yes. I applied for mine 3 months before it expired, once it had actually expired they then told me they had no record of me ever having applied to renew, so I had to go through the process again and then it took another 11 months to be approved and sent out. Whilst my old licence was expired they made it very clear that I wasn't to be in possession of any firearms and then when the new one came they had backdated it to the date my old one expired, basically contradicting their own advice and saying that I did have a valid firearms licence the entire time. It's a shambles. They want to run a register which I don't actually have anything against, I do have a bone to pick about their ability to actually run that register properly
    Three months is not early enough according to northland police apparently you should apply twelve months before it expires, if you wish to guarantee renewal on time.