Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

I’m looking at Pacific Ears, Pro Impulse.
    Does anyone have any experience with this product or similar that they’d recommend. Quite expensive but I find muffs extremely annoying.
    Cheers guys👍

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have a set of moulded ear plugs made by Jaytod Ears. They are fantastic at blocking out noise as they are moulded to the shape of your outer ear and ear canal.
    Noswal likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    Interesting. Never thought about that. Maybe ill drop the battle cry when I'm bearing down on game in the bush
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Chewed up toilet paper works well. Chip as chips too.

northdude
    What

If you get the soggyness just right helps mould to your outer ear and ear canal.

@ Mauser308

Can I suggest you refrain from giving advice when you clearly have no idea of what you're saying.

I debunked your recent assertion in a similar thread:
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....2/#post1035744
    zimmer likes this.

Thanks for that link 6x47. There was some useful info there.
    Im booked in to get some fitted plugs that will suffice until I decide whats best for me. The old Green foam plugs just don't cut it!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    Thanks for that link 6x47. There was some useful info there.
    Im booked in to get some fitted plugs that will suffice until I decide whats best for me. The old Green foam plugs just don't cut it!
    Let us know what you end up getting and more importantly, how you rate them in terms of noise reduction.
    Noswal likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The update is a bit late in coming. I always intended to buy some electronics but after getting a set of Jaytod custom fit plugs I’ve just never got around to it. The Jaytods are just so easy, they work, they’re comfortable. Honestly I can’t see myself spending extra money unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    If you get the soggyness just right helps mould to your outer ear and ear canal.
    That's some weird shit man and may I remind you that the cannabis referendum was a no
    6x47 and Sasquatch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    That's some weird shit man and may I remind you that the cannabis referendum was a no
    It was simply a cheaper alternative to an otherwise expensive upgrade, but not one I use myself...

Yep, they only thing that can stop sound transmission dead is a vacuum space. Sound will travel thru solid material, water as well as air, basic physics. Can't see the human body being sound proof...may absorb some sound to a certain extent but one can still hear own guts rumble near feeding time.

Yawn... I'm afraid you're comparing apples with elephants there M-308. The spectral content of shoulder-fired small arms is very different to artillery. The low freq/infrasound is far more accentuated in the latter, hence the advice you were given. It plain doesn't apply to the sort of stuff we shoot. As for Slug's comment that sound will travel through any material other than a vacuum, this is of course true but the proportion of sound energy that passes interfaces of different density depends on the impedance mismatch and this is still frequency-dependent.

I could refer you to an article I wrote for an overseas firearms site but you've clearly decided I'm wrong no matter what I tell you.
    zimmer likes this.

I have a set of custom moulded pro impulse! I purchased them through Bay Audiology in Auckland about 18months ago.

I would rate them 9/10. The fit and comfort is amazing and I can quite easily wear them for 8+hrs without ever thinking my ears need a rest. As far as noise reduction goes I would rate them more effective than my grade5+ peltor muffs in outdoor environments. For field shooting, bush or an open range I have shot and been beside up to a 280AI (with muzzle brake) with no issues.

The only time I have found them lacking is when shooting in an environment where the sound is contained or reverberating. For me this is usually shooting pistol in bays with a concrete/gravel floor and a roof over the shooting position. They are still good but if I was doing that everyday as my main use I would stick to muffs or wear them over the top. I wonder whether the immediate echo from the building is too quick for the filter to reset and then activate again, so the echo comes in with the filter partially open, giving say 80% reduction or something on the echo.
    Last edited by Oli1102; 09-11-2020 at 07:25 AM.