Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Home Made Safe

Virgina,(just south of Washington DC) , USA

Home Made Safe

Hello again, this is my second post.
    Reading the safes/ gun racks thread, along with the Police station gun theft thread got me to thinking. A friend of mine decided to make/have made, a secure walk in gun safe in his house. He had a contractor drill into the basement foundation of his house to insert reinforcement bar into it. He then used cement block over the rebars and built walls to make the walk in safe. Smaller safes can be made, ones that resemble the size of a steel safe but a lot less expensive. Numerous rebars were used vertically and horizontally as well as steel mesh cemented between the blocks. The hollow blocks were filled with concrete. A thick steel plate was used for the roof and well secured into the walls. He also added a very secure steel door. Inside are racks and a very good dehumidifier system with an alarm if the humidity gets low, very important since this is in the basement sitting on the houses's concrete slab, below ground. The same thing could be made by the average guy with easily bought materials. The roof can also be made with poured concrete with rebar and mesh. Or, simply buy a steel safe or two or three. What are your thoughts?

Nice having a walk in safe, strongroom, even a potential panic room. That way you can enjoy your gun collection without spending 20mins extricating them from their tight confinement in the safe.

I'd look at the police web site and look at the storage standards for B cat (or E cat - no longer existing license class) firearms and you'll not go wrong.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

shit i thought OP was talkin about donald trumps bedroom.!
    My wife is my security system -you go near em and she'll coo in your ear"what sort of flowers would you like on your casket".me i wont speak but a casket wont be rquired -imsure the chainsaw could render it into something resembling dog tucker.
    after all how does the tune go"you only live once .....and die trying"'...think about it its bloody true!
    soo-happy days all!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
    Hello again, this is my second post.
    Reading the safes/ gun racks thread, along with the Police station gun theft thread got me to thinking. A friend of mine decided to make/have made, a secure walk in gun safe in his house. He had a contractor drill into the basement foundation of his house to insert reinforcement bar into it. He then used cement block over the rebars and built walls to make the walk in safe. Smaller safes can be made, ones that resemble the size of a steel safe but a lot less expensive. Numerous rebars were used vertically and horizontally as well as steel mesh cemented between the blocks. The hollow blocks were filled with concrete. A thick steel plate was used for the roof and well secured into the walls. He also added a very secure steel door. Inside are racks and a very good dehumidifier system with an alarm if the humidity gets low, very important since this is in the basement sitting on the houses's concrete slab, below ground. The same thing could be made by the average guy with easily bought materials. The roof can also be made with poured concrete with rebar and mesh. Or, simply buy a steel safe or two or three. What are your thoughts?
    A walk in strong room is the ultimate. I know two blokes who have them. The door was the biggest problem. The way that you have described building the room with concrete blocks is a very simple good idea. There have been so many burglaries here in Canterbury lately we might all end up building strong rooms

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A walk in strong room is the ultimate. I know two blokes who have them. The door was the biggest problem. The way that you have described building the room with concrete blocks is a very simple good idea. There have been so many burglaries here in Canterbury lately we might all end up building strong rooms
    If you make it your bedroom you are allowed to sleep with your gun.
    Mr Browning likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Hey @muzza I’ve got four forearms do you think that justifies building a strong room
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Hey @muzza I’ve got four forearms do you think that justifies building a strong room
    You half octopus?

No calamari I eat enough of the stuff
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Nothing like walking into your strongroom and seeing all your “investments” lined up��

Thanks for creating such a beautiful input.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yes. Because anything that you dont use on a daily basis, that is worth stealing can also be secured in there to keep the low life scum from making it theirs. Fishing rods,Motorcycle parts, Power tools, (especially ones you could use to get into the room itself such as jack hammers and concrete cutters.

two layers of 18mm mdf cover sheets with reinforcing mesh in between is all that you need.
    Windows and doors are a bit different. I built one for a guy once and had to look all that shit up.
    BUT, get it from your arms officer first, there is a police paper with standards on it.
    Use enough gun

Old thread guys.

And who revives it saying "Thanks for creating such a beautiful input.". WTF? Sounds dodgy to me.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    Old thread guys.

And who revives it saying "Thanks for creating such a beautiful input.". WTF? Sounds dodgy to me.
    Possibly. Also sounds like just a native Chinese speaker speaking English as his second language. To be fair, a thread about a room where you can openly line up your guns on the wall is actually ... well... beautiful. (-:

What will you put into your strongroom @jacksimonton?
    Steve123 and Howa270 like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    it might be legally enough, but the demo blade on my 18V recipro will be through it in a jiffy.
    The rules are about slowing down or defeating the average p or syn desperate fuckwit opportunist burgler, not about stopping the gang based tosspots that specifically target a property to take firearms where they arrive prepared for getting past securing methods. Man traps should be legal. Doc should issue permits, they are after all, PESTS and we should be allowed to exterminate them.