Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Home renovation and gun licence

Home renovation and gun licence

I am in the middle of renovating my home, do I need to complete it before applying for my gun licence? The gun safe will be in the garage bolted to the floor, but are AO's picky about what the house looks like?

Thanks

They're not normally worried about what the house looks like as they're there to make sure your firearms are safe from opportunist thieves. I still don't have a
    "gunsafe" as such. I just incorporated space into the house costruction that would take whatever firearms I had. I've had no negative feedback from the AO once I showed him where it was. (I challenged him to find the space in the room.... He couldn't) So long as the safe is installed to manufacturers instruction there shouldn't be a problem.
    CBH Australia likes this.

I would stick some fixing brackets on the wall where your going to place the safe.
    Some out of the floor as well if you like.
    Shows you have intention! He can't argue with that!

So I don't even need a gun safe? just the fixings in a particular location?

I don't think they care too much what your house looks like, they want to see your safe and check it is suitable and secured in a way it is not easily removed and they will want to take photos of how it is secured.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The condition of your house is irrelevant if you're going to install the gun cabinet, rack etc in your unattached garage. Due to the current delays in Wellington it might pay for you to get your firearms licence (FAL) application underway ASAP.

Your local arms officer (AO) will arrange a time for you to attend the NZ police safety lecture and test. You must pass the test with a minimum of 28/30 of which includes seven questions related to the seven basic firearm safety rules - you must not fail any of those seven questions.

You will need to pay $126.50 for your FAL application. This is done at the post office and you then give the receipt of payment to the AO or a police officer who will pass it on to the AO if the latter is not present.

You will need two additional referees, one of which is your next of kin, spouse or partner and also an unrelated referee. To speed up the process it helps to have both referees in the same town as yourself. You will then be contacted by the arms vettor who will arrange a time with you to visit your place of residence, interview you and examine your security. Interviews with your two referee's will be also arranged, quite often one of which will be living with you.

You should have your security installed when the arms vettor visits your residence otherwise the process will be delayed. In some small towns the AO will do the vetting because they don't have a dedicated firearms vettor.
    Puffin and Micky Duck like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    To the OP, if you're just renewing your FAL then all of the above doesn't apply to you except the first paragraph.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks, with all of that in mind, I think I'll try to move forward with my FAL. Thanks guys.
    chindit likes this.

Banned
    Hello,
    I think so you should first complete your home renovation.if you want to complete your home renovation fastly so you should hire more labour or contact with contractors who do this work well. Recently I completed my home renovation from commercial painter company. You can contact them and get information related to your problem.

Given old mate Amely is from Awkland, has one post, and hasn't (yet) given an intro, and their post doesn't really make a lot of sense (i.e. is bollocks) I'd be a little bit wary of clicking on a link that you can't see...
    @Admin, might be one for the naughty list?
    40mm, Kopua Cowboy and Jukes like this.
    bunji likes this.

My immed reaction was he is a painter after work.
    small_caliber and timattalon like this.

you need to complete your reno before getting your toys. once you get your toys it can be time consuming and no time for renos or work or mowing lawns

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Given old mate Amely is from Awkland, has one post, and hasn't (yet) given an intro, and their post doesn't really make a lot of sense (i.e. is bollocks) I'd be a little bit wary of clicking on a link that you can't see...
    @Admin, might be one for the naughty list?
    Just a tad dodgy looking.

Ring the arms officer in Rotorua – fortunately he’s one of life’s genuine good sorts will probably go out of his way to help you comply if you don’t already.

Unfortunately, our licencing system is so hopelessly dysfunctional right now that I wouldn’t let renovations delay it being processed if they don't need to.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Maybe this would be a good time to install a small (or large) gun room. I personally wish I had done it when I was renovating
    Micky Duck likes this.