Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hunters Taking Responsibility for Safety

I think my preference is a waterproof, reusable laminated version. I think others could also take it out if some lazy shagger left it behind or walked out another route.
    Sideshow likes this.

This is a good starting point and good on you for putting it forward. Im not sure but the dates and time notifications as it would give the scum bags of this world the time to do your vehicale over. the form could however be left on the dash of your vehicale for al to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Someone is just doing some tweaks with it at the moment.
    Consider it 'tweaked'. The map is dynamic - zoom in/out etc. Once your 'spot' is in view, right click and print. It will print 2x A4 pages, or 1x A3 depending on your printer. Write your details, scribble on the map. Laminate, cover in Duraseal, or put it in a zip-lock bag and away you go.

Safety Notice
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Consider it 'tweaked'. The map is dynamic - zoom in/out etc. Once your 'spot' is in view, right click and print. It will print 2x A4 pages, or 1x A3 depending on your printer. Write your details, scribble on the map. Laminate, cover in Duraseal, or put it in a zip-lock bag and away you go.

Safety Notice
    That's awesome @stretch. This may be giving away my refusal to keep up with tech and show my age a bit, but can we down load this or save this on our machines so it will keep the map dynamic?? Or do we need to have it put aside on the forum, where members willing to use it can find it?
    @Feral, after reading some of the trampers comments about being in the bush during the roar - from their point of view, may be they could also have a similar system that they can use to let others know when and where they are about at park entry points.

When I go for a walk/ hunt in the DOC estates I like to leave a copy of my Hunting permit folded on my dash board, so other people who are familiar with them get the idea that there are others about.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidick View Post
    That's awesome @stretch. This may be giving away my refusal to keep up with tech and show my age a bit, but can we down load this or save this on our machines so it will keep the map dynamic?? Or do we need to have it put aside on the forum, where members willing to use it can find it?
    At this stage no, you can't download it and keep it dynamic.

The easiest way to keep it handy is to go to https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...etyNotice.html and press Ctrl-D to bookmark that page.
    deadidick and Hennie260 like this.

I think its a good idea mate and would work well for most people to give an indication of how many people are hunting where

I think during the roar it would be helpful the only downside is people will abuse it.

Some will put multiple forms out indicating there are hunters covering all the hunting area.
    Others will use them as a indicator into where others are hunting and there for people will be reluctant to use forms or to give correct information on where they are hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I think its a good idea mate and would work well for most people to give an indication of how many people are hunting where

I think during the roar it would be helpful the only downside is people will abuse it.

Some will put multiple forms out indicating there are hunters covering all the hunting area.
    Others will use them as a indicator into where others are hunting and there for people will be reluctant to use forms or to give correct information on where they are hunting.
    You've got that 100% right.

Team,
    @stretch has done some modifications to the original form. There are now two versions:
    Plain Version: Has a blank area you can sketch a quick diagram of where you intend to be in a general sense.
    Fancy Version: Has a topo map window you can zoom and pan to your intended hunting area to the level of detail you like. It should print out.

There is no recommendation to the amount of detail you should show as a hunter. If you want to protect "spot X" do a largeish circle around your general area. If you have a habit of wearing reddish brown clothing and like to crawl around the bush on your hand and knees then maybe its worth while adding some extra specific detail to where you will be and when.

Remember it is not a booking system. No hunter can get 'dibbs' on open DOC land. It really falls back to each and every one of us to act reasonably, apply the rules of the arms code, identify targets, and treat other hunters and recreational users with respect. This is simply a notification system so any hunter can feel a bit more comfortable that others in the area will be aware of their presence and refreshed on the basics of firearms safety.

Sure, there might be some amongst us who are from life's gene pool of idiots who might think they get priority by being in the carpark / hut / river junction first, circling a dozen or more square kilometres and then get pissy when another hunter turns up at some point. Normal etiquette applies and this notification system doesn't fix this. This just gets information out there. The quality of the information comes down to how each of us chooses to use it.

What I need now is a mod / admin to sponsor this as a sticky and get it posted up for ongoing ease of use. Anyone? PM me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...etyNotice.html

Cheers, Feral.
    Blue Arrow, screamO and Hennie260 like this.

Having used a "system" recently it will not stop people.

My son and i went for an overnight camp out, As i left the carpark i wrote on the back window of my truck where we were and how many people (xyz spot x 3 as i always include the dog). 3 guys still came out, we told them our plans and they were like " yeah same as us", i then said i wanted to have my son shoot a deer, they were more than happy with this. Long story short chatted with them at the look out spot, asked how many cars in the carpark, he said yours plus 2 others. So point 1 is he saw that 3x people in xyz area was written on back window. He and mates still came out. A while late a deer was spotted, told him we were going to have a look a bit closer, asked if he wanted a radio to communicate and he said " no we will not move until you shoot" Phew i thought. Went down and set up waiting deer. The one we saw didnt come out but another one did. Just as my boy was about to shoot a shot came whizzing past us. So point 2 was even after saying they wouldn't move, they did and shot past us. the shot was from 100m behind and about 15m to our right. Oh and could see us the whole time!!!

So in summary

Great idea, but stupid is as stupid does. I have held off all the discussions about this and the shooting. No matter how new or old to hunting, no matter how much training or making the getting of license tougher, no matter how you inform people you are there they will still go and some will do dumb unretractable things that will comprimise safety for all involved. I dont think you can box people up into different classes of skill, ability or farktardness it will still happen, get a major event like duck shooting and or the roar and it will happen due to the extra volume of people wanting to get a slice of the action, just like fishing comps or public holidays on the road. While not acceptable it will happen. We all need to be open mined to it happening to us and stop this talk of "oh yeah wont happen to me" shit i hear. Locking up public land to ballot will/may stem the issue but will causes a whole lot more. I hunt every weekend and on 95% public land and would hate to have to limit myself to 1 day or 1 weekend for a month or 2 or even worse miss out as every other joe harry is out there, it will lead to poaching and maybe more accidents.

I don't have a solution, i have accepted that i partake in a sport that involves a car to get there (also capable of killing) and a gun to kill animals and do all i can to identify if it is an animal i am about to shoot or I pass up a shot. I am a little scared (not affraid to admit) in going onto public land at this time of year on my own as i want to see my son and daughter grow up (not so much the wife lol) and not be scared to come hunting on public land with me. I have to say my son and I were very shaken by the above event and the right people have been informed but still worried knowing what was done and they are still out there.

Anyway rant over

Please be safe guys

Hamish
    GWH, Feral and Blue Arrow like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Fuck man thats a bit close for comfort. Some just dont have clue

I hope you had words with the retards Hamish. Thats just totally unacceptable.
    HNTMAD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    I hope you had words with the retards Hamish. Thats just totally unacceptable.
    Yes and the boys in blue will too

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

hope they get charged
    HNTMAD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidick View Post
    hope they get charged
    Some time without their FAL may make them think differently

thanks for your frankness hamish-it would put the shits up anyone!I agree with you though ,theres always a human /s who will flout rules or even commonsense if opportunity arises.I had a run in years ago with a guy like this and in the end we told him to fuck off preferably with his flash .22 shoved right up where the sun dont shine.personally I wouldnt piss on him if he was on fire!