Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Andygr

Thread: Idiots who have FAL.

Idiots who have FAL.

Yesterday the Mrs decided to take the dogs for a quick stroll up the road. As she was doing this she heard a couple of shots, not unusual as we live about 1 km away from an unofficial sight in venue (skid site). However as she continued up the road a third shot was heard and she thought that it was not coming from the usual direction and it was a bit close. A couple of hundred metres further (still on our metal road) she spotted a "gent" walking towards her after hearing a 4th shot that was close enough to scare her. As a result of being spooked she let rip with a string of colourful language as it turns out this "gent" was firing from the tar sealed road towards the end of our metal road to sight in his rifle. Needless to say he scarpered quick smart. The photo I took from his firing position shows the target he was using and the relative position of the end of our road as it meets the tar seal. The dirt mound to the left of his target also marks the end of a dirt track that quite a few people use as access to another skid site where there is a nice collection of firewood. He had no way of knowing who was around. WTF.Name:  IMG_0463.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  6.85 MB
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

yeah thats more than a little bit dumb.

Puts the shits up you knowing he’s likely checking a rifle to head bush in a couple of weeks for the busy season
    Northkiwi likes this.

Please tell me this was reported to the police...

@Bol Tackshin what would be the point of reporting this? Doesn't sound like any I'd of either the person or vehicle rego. I've been down that rabbit hole with the police and unless you can identify someone/vehicle they won't do anything about it

To me it looks like a reasonable spot to sight in on, unless the rifle is way out of whack...I understand he had a 'FA' but who determined he had a 'L'?...I live on a road end so get to hear and see the process of 'sighting in' on a fairly regular basis and found that one does not put up notices of any sort without checking backdrop and actually pays to put up something of a target out of harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Please tell me this was reported to the police...
    I had no definite ID on either the "gent" or the vehicle. By the time I got there he was long gone and the Mrs was too spooked to get the rego number she had been walking up the hill on the gravel to the left of the target. Kelton is right, it puts the shits in you about going out in the bush during the roar.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Was the place a prohibited zone for discharging, or simply that man was shooting on public access area where is not his property of any kind?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Definitely not his property. It is a logging skid site come gravel pit 20 metres off the tar sealed highway. The metalled road on the left of the photo is a public road that leads to a number of farms.