Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Idoits that get firearm licences

Idoits that get firearm licences

Just reading in the local courts today about some total dickhead that is certainly not a fit and proper person to have a firearms licence.

It appears this 23 year old from brightwater was planning to go hunting with a mate, the time was 3pm.
    For some unbelieveable reason he loaded his mag in his 308 just before loading it into his car and while he shut the bolt he chambered a round by accident.

While leaning on the car with the rifle he again by accident pulled the trigger of his 308 and fired a shot thru the cars door.
    Round went thur the door, thur his fence and hit the neighbours property,. His excuse was the rifle was new and he didnt know he chambered a round.....WTF

One,why the hell would you load the rifle in the first place before you even left the property?
    Second, while shutting the bolt hes got no idea hes chambered a round then he mangages to fire it without shooting himself or someone else.

How the hell this total clown got a firearm licence in the first place is beyord me.
    Hes awaiting sentence but if he hasnt lost his firearms licence its a disgrace and he shouldnt ever be allowed to touch another one again!

his license is likely suspended until post sentencing most likely. when convicted they'll probably revoke it.

BSA
    A good example of why an NZDA Hunts Course or something similar should be and very well might be Mandated as part of the procedure to obtaining a Firearms Licence.
    Trout, rugerman, ishoot10s and 8 others like this.

I remember a young guy, son of an employee, being given a 303, was chambering live rounds through it one morning in his bedroom. One went off, through the wall, the bathroom, out the exterior and who know where. His mum was in the shower, missed her. All hell let loose, my employee came to work distraught. We had a long talk about it, I knew the boy, probably saved him from being strangled. We decided to sit him down and discuss. That young boy was more distraught than his dad. He kept the rifle and became a very responsible firearm owner and hunter.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yip sounds like the poor guy just had no idea now he fucked himself really good
    7mmwsm, Maca49 and Russian 22. like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    A good example of why an NZDA Hunts Course or something similar should be and very well might be Mandated as part of the procedure to obtaining a Firearms Licence.
    I don't think that would help in this case, as the firearms safety course that he must have undertaken before applying for his licence covers the fails that were made. How he passed the test I don't know.

Was probably playing with it and loaded a live round in his room fiddling with his shined tool, then forgot to eject it.

Honestly, I think you're probably over reacting. This guy made a few dumb mistakes, but that doesn't mean he's unworthy of having firearms. Id put my money on him being so bloody upset about it happening that he will have learned his lesson and being more anal about safety than most going forward.

If we took firearms licenses off everyone that makes a mistake, well I don't think there would be many of us left.

Idiots are a widespread problem. I know of a few similar incidents by our 'trained' Police officers. Most incidents of that sort are caused by lack of attention and no thought given to the potential consequences, and I guess all of us are guilty of something stupid in our past due to lack of proper attention. I know I have been, but ingrained safety training prevented any unfortunate results.
    tetawa, 300CALMAN, viper and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Just reading in the local courts today about some total dickhead that is certainly not a fit and proper person to have a firearms licence.

It appears this 23 year old from brightwater was planning to go hunting with a mate, the time was 3pm.
    For some unbelieveable reason he loaded his mag in his 308 just before loading it into his car and while he shut the bolt he chambered a round by accident.

While leaning on the car with the rifle he again by accident pulled the trigger of his 308 and fired a shot thru the cars door.
    Round went thur the door, thur his fence and hit the neighbours property,. His excuse was the rifle was new and he didnt know he chambered a round.....WTF

One,why the hell would you load the rifle in the first place before you even left the property?
    Second, while shutting the bolt hes got no idea hes chambered a round then he mangages to fire it without shooting himself or someone else.

How the hell this total clown got a firearm licence in the first place is beyord me.
    Hes awaiting sentence but if he hasnt lost his firearms licence its a disgrace and he shouldnt ever be allowed to touch another one again!
    The article I saw said 303 - so no idea who is the bigger prick? Press or the firearms owner

Buck fever got too him right from the time he rang his mate. Young and stupid do go hand in hand together, even if the intentions are good.

One of my mates had a .22 hole in the back door of his car. Probably why I’ve never owned a semi auto .22. His went off putting an unloaded firearm in the car. Glad we took his car that day. We sat down and had a toolbox meeting on unloading, bolt action was mag out and cycle the bolt 3 times, then have a look to may sure it was clear, something I still do today. I think the semi was a trigger pull, barrel up, last thing.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Idiots are a widespread problem. I know of a few similar incidents by our 'trained' Police officers. Most incidents of that sort are caused by lack of attention and no thought given to the potential consequences, and I guess all of us are guilty of something stupid in our past due to lack of proper attention. I know I have been, but ingrained safety training prevented any unfortunate results.
    Cop on Domestic-flight put a 9mm round through the side of the plane, another shot himself through the foot in the locker-room, fek knows how many werent reported. Some of the Waiuru-storys make you want to laugh and cringe at the same time. Maybe Sports shops need to set-up courses, in their interests if they want to make money and 'Safe-guard' the Sport ?

wtf the law is no loaded mags in the car always has been

Ned
    So a bit like passing a driving license test not being a guarantee that impulsive or ignorant behaviour won't surface when people are let loose with their new 'toy'.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    ebf likes this.