Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: license information scam?

license information scam?

My partner has had unsolicited emails and text messages from a Matt Jones of the NZ police seeking to confirm her license information.

Seeking to get her to give all the information needed to steal her identify over insecure and unverified communications. How do we know who this Matt Jones person even is.

If they have her name, phone and email already, how can they not know her licence number and address and the other information they are demanding.

Anyone aware of any scams like this going around?

Not wanting to call the police to confirm.

northdude
    all thanks to a data breach id suspect
    timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by exegenisis View Post
    My partner has had unsolicited emails and text messages from a Matt Jones of the NZ police seeking to confirm her license information.

Seeking to get her to give all the information needed to steal her identify over insecure and unverified communications. How do we know who this Matt Jones person even is.

If they have her name, phone and email already, how can they not know her licence number and address and the other information they are demanding.

Anyone aware of any scams like this going around?

Not wanting to call the police to confirm.
    A quick google gives - Detective Matt Jones of the Queenstown Police (03) 441 1600

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

t'were me, I'd give him a call and ask him why he needed know and that I'd be happy to answer any questions with legal representation.

And if it is a scam then Mr Matt should know this is happening...

Initially, I note you are not willing to contact the Police to confirm the authenticity of "Matt." Which would be the logical action.
    Next I see the tones of concern in your thread post Understandable.
    Followed by your request for information from us about "Matt."

I am left wondering what is the purpose of your post. If to warn others about a scam, Well Done.

REGARDLESS, i can tell you that I have not received such a "request" but I don't think that you are much further towards reaching a satisfactory resolution of this conundrum.

If it is a scam and from what you have told us, I don't think it is, my impression is that someone is acting outside of their "Police duties" If so, there are many who would wish to be aware of such a breach; COLFO and David Seymour to mention just a couple.

PLEASE CONSIDER CONTACTING

COLFO https://tinyurl.com/ycmhn8rj list your telephone number and ask them to telephone you.

David Seymour ACT's Head office details PHONE 09 523 0470 EMAIL info@act.org.nz
    tetawa, northdude, dannyb and 1 others like this.

The North Shore AO texted me last year to discuss range attendances and the initial contact was via text message but the number was a 4 digit number like you would expect as a notice. And to close off the discussion, it was also via text message.

Gone but not forgotten
    Why would someone from the Queenstown police be contacting someone in Palmy (I assume Palmerston North...) about their FAL?
    Sounds dodgy to me.
    Finnwolf likes this.

He might live in the real Palmy, home of the mutton pie.
    Maca49, Boaraxa and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    He might live in the real Palmy, home of the mutton pie.
    @Marty Henry apparently not as good as they used to be.
    Bakery in Dunedin do one more like you are thinking

My stbx wife just sent me this text

Have you got this email

FIREARMS LICENCE HOLDER FOR *WELLINGTON DISTRICT* - CONFIRMATION OF CONTACT DETAILS

Related?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    You mean the good ones that had a hole in the top and which turned the paper bag see through instantly you could pour the fat out the hole.
    Last time I had one from palmerston it had mint in it and so little meat I thought I had got the vegan option.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    mmmmmm used to be MacGregors mutton Pies.
    Bite the corner, tip and allow the fat to drain for a good 2 mins then bite down on the goodness of the spiced Mutton and baked lard pastry - southern goodness right there.
    Best Pies - were Jimmys Pies from Roxburgh Central Otago though or Marlow Street Bakery in Tainui.

Mmmmmm
    Steve123 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Quote Originally Posted by aetchell View Post
    My stbx wife just sent me this text Have you got this email FIREARMS LICENCE HOLDER FOR *WELLINGTON DISTRICT* - CONFIRMATION OF CONTACT DETAILS Related? Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
    Until the recipients of these approaches start attaching images of what they have received so we can all see, who knows...............

Yep i am in Palmerston North.

The intent of the post was to see if anyone else had received these messages and if there was any inclination as to whether these are scam or not.

Why would an officer in qtown contact us?

They know all our details, there is nothing to confirm... No information has changed. So far as I am aware we are breaking no laws by not responding to a dubious request.

As to whether i contact the police, to confirm... The onus is on them to contact us through official channels, and to use communication methods not commonly associated with phishing scams.

The wording of the emails and text reeks of scam. I have had multiple security training sessions at work and these communications break almost every rule.

You never ask for a direct reply with personal information. You always ask the person to contact you by callibg main office etc or to navigate to an online form themselves. Never click links or call the number in an email, or reply with info requested in an email.

BTW email headers are possible to fake.
    Boaraxa and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by exegenisis View Post
    Yep i am in Palmerston North.

The intent of the post was to see if anyone else had received these messages and if there was any inclination as to whether these are scam or not.

Why would an officer in qtown contact us?

They know all our details, there is nothing to confirm... No information has changed. So far as I am aware we are breaking no laws by not responding to a dubious request.

As to whether i contact the police, to confirm... The onus is on them to contact us through official channels, and to use communication methods not commonly associated with phishing scams.

The wording of the emails and text reeks of scam. I have had multiple security training sessions at work and these communications break almost every rule.

You never ask for a direct reply with personal information. You always ask the person to contact you by callibg main office etc or to navigate to an online form themselves. Never click links or call the number in an email, or reply with info requested in an email.

BTW email headers are possible to fake.
    The closest AO to Queenstown is Dunners. I sold a rifle to Wanaka a couple of weeks ago and it was hard work for the guy to get the appropriate form signed?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Until the recipients of these approaches start attaching images of what they have received so we can all see, who knows...............
    Quite right, could be trolling.

It always amazes me how people, whose entire world is lived through their phones and one or two social media apps, cannot even take a screenshot or work out how to do simple stuff, that us older farts find second nature.

I can remember when as a teenager, I got a Casio hand held calculator! it had √ on it !