Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By stretch

Thread: Location of safe, A cat, police check - please advise.

Juk

Location of safe, A cat, police check - please advise.

Hi everyone,

I have recently changed address, and notified the Police like a good boy should, but at my new address the cupboards all slide, and are unlockable. I have a garage (locked) that is separate from the house, and have bolted (from the inside) an A cat safe (5 gun) to a stud in there and have a safe with ammo, bolts mags etc hidden away inside the house. All the guns have padlocks through the actions and trigger locks too. Tell me (and be honest) will I pass an inspection if requested by the FO?

SiB
    In my humble opinion yes. You've made them secure, and keeping the ammo n bolts separately secure shld be icing on the cake. Just make sure you can remember where you keep the keys etc

On a side note, are you certain your garage is 100% dry? Rust never sleeps etc etc.

A small investment in a cupboard heater or regularly swapping those dehumidifying pottles might save some tears later?
    308 and Steve123 like this.

I would've thought the safe installed in the sliding, unlockable cupboards would've been a better choice.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Hendrik470 likes this.

SiB
    I assumed you're renting so don't want to add hardware to the sliders?

Frankly my gunsafe is inside a sliding door type wardrobe. Fixed to stud etc - and my AO was happy enough.

You'll be fine. Here's the legal requirements. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...html#DLM169122

Print it out, and if the AO has a bone to pick, ask him/her to point out in the legislation where you've gone wrong. Be polite and keep your cool.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Perfectly fine; can't see any vettor or AO having an issue with your security.

Inside a bedroom wardrobe is no problem either as long as the gun cabinet is well secured to a stud/nog or floor, i.e. no movement. The wardrobe doesn't need to be locked.

Helps to use decent size washers under the bolt heads but it is not a legal requirement.

Keep the key in a secret hard to find location and the spare at another well remembered secret location. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who have their gun cabinet or gun rack key in a bedside drawer or similar. Some even have them hanging up in the kitchen.

Just had my safe inspection (only took them 4 months after I notified them of my change of address). AO was happy as with safe bolted to stud in garage and bolts/ammo in a locked filing cabinet inside.

On a side note she asked if I was happy for her to record the serial numbers. She did make a point of saying that it is not a legal requirement but encouraged me to allow it anyway.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    On a side note she asked if I was happy for her to record the serial numbers. She did make a point of saying that it is not a legal requirement but encouraged me to allow it anyway.
    +1

I questioned the officer also but in the end ... I actually didn't care and after my power trip was over, they recorded all my details.

Same

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    - Venbee

NO ,

Think about it , locked up , out in the shed ?

What they really want is it , inside the house , as such , usually , there will be people actually inside , and it will be harder to slip in un noticed when people live in house , someones always there in a family house , and even if not , it more likely for a breakin to go un-noticed in a shed , until you go to get your rifle out .

You can , just nail up a a bit of 4x2 , from your roof to the sheds roof , and its now part of the house , but thats not really what they want .

Your best security is people , constantly in the house .

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    NO ,

Think about it , locked up , out in the shed ?

What they really want is it , inside the house , as such , usually , there will be people actually inside , and it will be harder to slip in un noticed when people live in house , someones always there in a family house , and even if not , it more likely for a breakin to go un-noticed in a shed , until you go to get your rifle out .

You can , just nail up a a bit of 4x2 , from your roof to the sheds roof , and its now part of the house , but thats not really what they want .

Your best security is people , constantly in the house .
    Agree that it's better inside the house. However, it's not a legal requirement and you cannot be refused if your gun cabinet is installed in a locked garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    +1

I questioned the officer also but in the end ... I actually didn't care and after my power trip was over, they recorded all my details.
    Out of curiosity, did they tell you where that information would be stored?

Quote Originally Posted by Krameranzac View Post
    Out of curiosity, did they tell you where that information would be stored?
    With the local AO. How exactly, I'm not sure.
    - Venbee

1. The shed is fine so long as you can't move it.
    2. Shed will not be that dry and your guns are going to rust.
    3. Until it's law no to them having the serial numbers. More work for them and you can sell all your guns tomorrow and buy new guns which they have no record of. It took them four months to get to you Dorkus. Why was that because there wasting time don't something that's not law? Really! How is that doing you as a tax payer any services?

On the bright side at lest it's done now ah!