Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Mail order firearm loophole??????????

Mail order firearm loophole??????????

Yes I know, this TV3 bullshit has been flogged to death BUT: I have perused a fair chunk of all the posts on this & have NOT been able to see where anyone has actually said what this cunning loophole was.

Can someone enlighten me please.

P.S. I have just had a visit from an agent of the mail order recipient in talking to me and I asked him directly " What was the loophole????"

Answer: " There wasn't one" ( unless you were prepared to commit a criminal act!!!)

Doesn't quite qualify as a "loophole" does it?????

SOOOOOOOO, does any bright spark out there know the answer?????

There was no loophole. A loophole being: "An omission or*Ambiguity*in a legal document that allows the intent of the document to be evaded."
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/loophole

What they did was commit fraud, forgery and impersonated a Police officer.
    mucko, Dougie, Maca49 and 6 others like this.

You are right there was no loophole TV3 committed Fraud and Impersonating a Police officer and probably quite a few other crimes and walked away scot free any body else would be facing serious jail time,
    the Police fixed something that wasn't broken, It comes down to the Police incompetence and Gun City not checking the mail order form if they had they would have seen it was not filled in properly,
    That's my take on it I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    the Police fixed something that wasn't broken, It comes down to the Police incompetence and Gun City not checking the mail order form if they had they would have seen it was not filled in properly,
    Actually the Police didn't really "fix it", they imposed additional requirements, which they don't have the legal authority to do, to prevent similar incidents.

Guncity fulfilled all of their legal responsibilities.

You can't really blame the Police for the incident occurring, their response to it is another matter.
    hamsav, Jexla and Skatieguy like this.

MB
    Don't know, but I ordered some ammo online. The vendor and the police did their bit according to the rules and the postie left the package on my doorstep for anyone to help themselves!
    mucko, Dougie, Pengy and 2 others like this.

It was a flaw in the system, not a loophole.

And the flaw is that us Kiwi's are trusting people, so if a piece of paper arrived with a signature that says "I'm a Police Officer" people tend to accept it at face value. Irrespective of the legality of the signature. A minority number of people would take steps to check the details.

Park a van with a flashing yellow light on top in the middle of the street, and wear a high-viz vest and you'll get the same response. As a nation we're very trusting that what we see is what we want to see, and so trust and accept.
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    You are right there was no loophole TV3 committed Fraud and Impersonating a Police officer and probably quite a few other crimes and walked away scot free any body else would be facing serious jail time,
    Shooter. I didn't really want to get this all started again BUT; Gun City did in fact run a check with their Arms Office on the licence details on the mail order form & it was kosher & up to date.They obviously couldn't check the police sign-off at the bottom which WAS the part that was fraudulent. The police,later on, also checked over 2000 mail order forms that GC had previously actioned and found NO sign of any irregularities. That must have REALLY pissed them off,eh????
    mucko and Ranger 888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    It was a flaw in the system, not a loophole.

And the flaw is that us Kiwi's are trusting people, so if a piece of paper arrived with a signature that says "I'm a Police Officer" people tend to accept it at face value. Irrespective of the legality of the signature. A minority number of people would take steps to check the details.

Park a van with a flashing yellow light on top in the middle of the street, and wear a high-viz vest and you'll get the same response. As a nation we're very trusting that what we see is what we want to see, and so trust and accept.
    How would you go about checking the authenticity of the police sign-off at the bottom of the mail order form????

Quote Originally Posted by top gun View Post
    Shooter. I didn't really want to get this all started again
    Yeah you did
    Kscott, 199p, Savage1 and 6 others like this.

How would you go about checking the authenticity of the police sign-off at the bottom of the mail order form????
    Do what others have done, and pick up a telephone.

And do you REALLY think that the police would confirm or deny that the police info at the bottom of the form was authentic or not????? Really?????

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yeah you did
    No I F'N did NOT!!!!!! I wanted to know what this mysterious loophole was & the fact that the F'N well wasn't one has been confirmed.

That's it. Over & out.

And do you REALLY think that the police would confirm or deny that the police info at the bottom of the form was authentic or not????? Really?????
    Yess !!!!! I do !!!! Why ?????? Because other people !!! have posted about it ?!!!!! and I have done so myself !!!!!

Name:  flogging.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  42.5 KB
    dogmatix, ebf and Tommy like this.

@Kscott as in ring the officer that signed it off? or any joe blow at your local station?

What if that officer is not on duty? Transfered to night shift? On 4 weeks leave?