Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Mark your guns?

  1. #1
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    861

    Mark your guns?

    Guns do get stolen in spite of best intents, and serial numbers get filed or ground off.

    So, goodbye gun, as even if recovered it won't be reunited with its owner. And no prosecutions for theft.

    Do any of you mark your guns in any way for later identification? What would be the best method?

    Name:  7-Serial-Number-Restoration-Revolver.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  17.2 KB
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

  2. #2
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,611
    ^^ mark mine just like that ^^

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Guns do get stolen in spite of best intents, and serial numbers get filed or ground off.

    So, goodbye gun, as even if recovered it won't be reunited with its owner. And no prosecutions for theft.

    Do any of you mark your guns in any way for later identification? What would be the best method?

    Attachment 87185
    Personally, no. But thats not a dumb idea. One suggestion could be to engrave the serial number somewhere it won't be found or micro dot it like a car. The only issue is the cops will need to know where to look in order to find the serial number / ID marks. Fine if they already associate the firearm with the original owner as you could tell them where you engraved the serial number to verify that it was/ is yours. But if they have no idea whose it is to start with, will they find the markings? And will the thieving prick who stole it find them as well?

    There could be some consolation in the fact that the firearm is no longer in the thieving pricks possession, and that you will get paid insurance (assuming you have it covered) but it still sucks the long one regardless, and it would be nice to see the thieving, lowlife shit sucking, piece of crap, oxygen stealing wanker be punished for it, but lets face it, the courts will probably only give them a hug and wipe a wet bus ticket on their hands anyway.

  4. #4
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Personally, no. But thats not a dumb idea. One suggestion could be to engrave the serial number somewhere it won't be found or micro dot it like a car. The only issue is the cops will need to know where to look in order to find the serial number / ID marks. Fine if they already associate the firearm with the original owner as you could tell them where you engraved the serial number to verify that it was/ is yours. But if they have no idea whose it is to start with, will they find the markings? And will the thieving prick who stole it find them as well?

    There could be some consolation in the fact that the firearm is no longer in the thieving pricks possession, and that you will get paid insurance (assuming you have it covered) but it still sucks the long one regardless, and it would be nice to see the thieving, lowlife shit sucking, piece of crap, oxygen stealing wanker be punished for it, but lets face it, the courts will probably only give them a hug and wipe a wet bus ticket on their hands anyway.
    @timattalon

    Good point. Problem of standardising hidden serial numbers so cops know where to look for them is... thieves will know too. Other problem is marking may devalue the gun.

    Possibly unscrewing butt stock plate and use a juicy UV marker on the end grain, just repeating the serial number. FAL number on rough side of slings, etc.

    Again, how far do the cops look? I do suppose confiscated firearms would get some forensic look over, but don't know of course.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

  5. #5
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,821
    Talk to the local Police, we had a "DNA" substance put on computers etc at work. It is unique to our workplace. Pretty sure it came from the Police.
    Sideshow likes this.

  6. #6
    Member Paddy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hawkesbay
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Talk to the local Police, we had a "DNA" substance put on computers etc at work. It is unique to our workplace. Pretty sure it came from the Police.
    What did they watch porn beat off and ejaculate over the screen?
    Steve123, CATLINS HUNTER and rewa like this.

  7. #7
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    What did they watch porn beat off and ejaculate over the screen?
    Maybe they were just watching master chief & licked the screen
    rewa likes this.
    This year will go down in history . For the first time a civilised nation has full gun registration . Our streets will be safer , our police more efficient , and the world follow our lead into the future" Adolf Hitler ,1935

  8. #8
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    What did they watch porn beat off and ejaculate over the screen?
    @Paddy79

    You're soooo baaaad!
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

  9. #9
    Member Paddy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hawkesbay
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @Paddy79

    You're soooo baaaad!
    well some one has to be , but how else do you get DNA on a screen other than licking it? Now that's not only bad but unhygienic
    Boaraxa likes this.

  10. #10
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    17,739
    Not real clued up on law or even English but I thought firearms/weapons used in a crime were generally destroyed like or not?
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  11. #11
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not real clued up on law or even English but I thought firearms/weapons used in a crime were generally destroyed like or not?
    Joe Karum was getting the .22 back on behalf of David Bain . Sick F@#K
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    640
    No shit?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    437
    A friend had a very targeted theft recently.Workshop broken into cctv hard drive taken.Gas axe used to cut into locked shipping container then into the gun safe.I think he lost 6-7 firearms in that one.The attitude from the cops has been interesting with not a great deal of interest in solving this.I doubt hidden serial numbers or micro dots will help the return of guns in future crimes unless it was something we all did making firearms worthless.But that is not the reason they are stolen in the first place and lets face it crims don't care or have little regard for the consequences.

  14. #14
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,821
    This is the DNA stuff https://www.selectadna.co.nz/

  15. #15
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    12,829
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    This is the DNA stuff https://www.selectadna.co.nz/
    I would post my DNA stuff but I think I would get banned.....

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Wtb 4.5-14 mark 4
    By 338 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-06-2016, 10:43 PM
  2. FS: .303 No 4 mark I *
    By sneeze in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2016, 10:53 PM
  3. Leupold Mark AR 4-12
    By anderset20 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
  4. This one left an odd mark
    By Shearer in forum Hunting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 16-12-2014, 03:28 PM
  5. Mark Introduction
    By Mark Griffin in forum Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!