Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By ipv
  • 1 Post By Magnus
  • 1 Post By ipv
  • 1 Post By nowool

Thread: Mounting a safe inside a standalone cupboard

ipv

Mounting a safe inside a standalone cupboard

I am currently going though the process of getting my FAL. I am looking to mount the safe inside a standalone cupboard but I will need to cut a bit of the floor out of the cupboard so that the safe sits on the floor of the house and can be bolted down.

Has anyone done this that could share any tips?

Cheers

Depends on the cupboard and the floor underneath I suppose. You may cut a hole on the cupboard's floor for a "flush" fit, or have the safe sit inside the Cupboard and use a longer bolt/screw to go through the cupboard's floorboard. If you do cut the cupboard an oscillating tool would be handy, but make sure you can move the safe in there with ease, especially if you want to move it twice to mark then drill the floor underneath.

Last year I was in a similar situation and found it's quite difficult to put the safe inside an existing cupboard in my case. In the end I chose a spot, installed the safe on the floor then put a new cupboard on each side, fixed a panel with compact hinges to cover the front.

Gone but not forgotten
    Make sure you can still open the safe door!!!
    Boaraxa, hauraki, Cordite and 2 others like this.

ipv
    Cheers for the replies. I’m thinking it might be easier to build a box around it with Ply or MDF, then chuck and door and lock on it with the safe inside.
    Steve123 likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Your gun cabinet does not need to be secured to the floor if you can put the stand alone cupboard up close to a wall. Three or four 10mm 67mm long coach screws into a wall stud or studs will do fine. It's a good idea to use large washers behind the bolt heads of the coach screws. If you think that the wall studs can be cut with a saw by breaking the plasterboard (Gib) then a couple in the floor is added insurance.
    Last edited by 10-Ring; 05-04-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Mine is in a walldrobe, only problem was it is dark so I mounted a circuit breaker in it and installed a led light and a anti condensation heater coupled to a thermostat now its stays a constant 20 degrees in there a year round. Our house is concrete floors so it's fixed with 4 10mm excaliber bolt through the base and 4 8mm coach screws into the wall studs. Best thing is it's not visible without opening the walldrobe.
    Boaraxa likes this.

ipv
    Thanks for that, I am just trying to exceed the minimum standards.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ipv View Post
    Cheers for the replies. I’m thinking it might be easier to build a box around it with Ply or MDF, then chuck and door and lock on it with the safe inside.
    Seems like the simplest idea.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

they said they are changing the storage laws. it might be best to purchase a certified E-cat safe and mount it to the floor and wall as with e-cat standards.
    Cigar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nowool View Post
    they said they are changing the storage laws. it might be best to purchase a certified E-cat safe and mount it to the floor and wall as with e-cat standards.
    Is it in the current batch of legislation going through select committee at the moment?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

ipv
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

I have mounted the safe in a corner (it was the only place in the house I could fit it). Unfortunately there was no stud or dwang so I used the biggest screws and anchors I could. I have also bolted it to the floor with 4 bolts going right through the floor.

Will this satisfy the requirements for A cat? if not I guess I need to take the gib off then install dwangs and bolt it back in.

There seams to be a mixture of advice and recommendations but no list of it must be xyz.

Quote Originally Posted by ipv View Post
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

I have mounted the safe in a corner (it was the only place in the house I could fit it). Unfortunately there was no stud or dwang so I used the biggest screws and anchors I could. I have also bolted it to the floor with 4 bolts going right through the floor.

Will this satisfy the requirements for A cat? if not I guess I need to take the gib off then install dwangs and bolt it back in.

There seams to be a mixture of advice and recommendations but no list of it must be xyz.
    In a word, yes, it satisfies requirements of A-cat which is not to make it theft proof, but to keep casual burglars and kids from laying hands on guns.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

ipv
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    In a word, yes, it satisfies requirements of A-cat which is not to make it theft proof, but to keep casual burglars and kids from laying hands on guns.
    Thanks for that. I wont elaborate but it is also well hidden, I would put money on a thief having hours in my house and still not find it. Also when no one is home my dogs are inside

When we renovate the "area" ill be sure to put further bracing in to make it that bit more secure.