Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New version of the Police's firearms secure storage guidance

New version of the Police's firearms secure storage guidance

Posted in firearm law changes, but important enough to post here as well.

Released September 2020
    https://www.police.govt.nz/about-us/...orage-guidance
    Moa Hunter likes this.

A fair bit of ‘recommend’ in that lot?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Posted in firearm law changes, but important enough to post here as well.

Released September 2020
    https://www.police.govt.nz/about-us/...orage-guidance
    I read enough, it is lame.
    Use enough gun

Its recommended that wooden boxes have piano hinge, yet the picture has 2 and only 2 butt hinges. Ammo storage ==== a separate lockable box in a safe is appropriate for the storage of ammunition. Shows a picture of safe with ammo box at the top which I was told on my first inspection that it is no good for storage. Lame alright

Agree that it is lame. You couldn't use that in court with all the soft terms, like 'recommend'. It should really be 'must' and 'shall not' language, and give minimum standards, so you can draw a plan from it and build or buy suitable storage, rather than guess and be found deficient when it is too late.

I didn't hear any announcement by COLFO or any other association about it, so assume it was done fairly low-key without broad consultation? Happy to be proved wrong on this point...

It seems to be a wasted opportunity to potentially make a real difference to firearm safety.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    Its recommended that wooden boxes have piano hinge, yet the picture has 2 and only 2 butt hinges. Ammo storage ==== a separate lockable box in a safe is appropriate for the storage of ammunition. Shows a picture of safe with ammo box at the top which I was told on my first inspection that it is no good for storage. Lame alright
    The two butt hinges are probably more sturdy than a piano hinge anyway. Steel gun cabinets are not safes; a safe is a different beast altogether. The separate ammo lock box inside a steel gun cabinet almost always has a flimsy little lock on it that is easily broken into with a screwdriver. If a thief can break into the main gun compartment then it obvious that the little internal lock box can be accessed. Therefore it's reasonable to expect that ammo should be stored elsewhere or the firearms made inoperable.

I agree totally that the word 'should' is not the same as 'must'. Disappointed that this security update is not more defined.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Easy opportunity to show they can be professional about this shit.....and threw it away.

And they wonder why we shake our heads..........
    Pengy, Danger Mouse and 40mm like this.

At the end of the day, the best lock will be opened by the owner while supervised by a knife wielding 'midnight guest'

I had a 'license renewal' letter from the arms office.
    It got posted through the PO box (local dairy) and had "firearms office" stamped on the rear.

I called the arms office and complained, suggesting they are defeating my security measures with their lack of discretion.
    They didn't give a shit.

These clowns are an embarrassment.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    At the end of the day, the best lock will be opened by the owner while supervised by a knife wielding 'midnight guest'
    .....or possibly not, if the jury is understanding as Orrens' was.
    40mm likes this.

I had a 'license renewal' letter from the arms office.
    It got posted through the PO box (local dairy) and had "firearms office" stamped on the rear.

I called the arms office and complained, suggesting they are defeating my security measures with their lack of discretion.
    They didn't give a shit.

These clowns are an embarrassment.
    Thats OK....the people who saw the letter now know that you will be without a license for several months and wont have firearms on site cos the delay in getting it processed will take months....

Or try what a mate did....he scanned the letter, deleted the text and typed out a letter to himself telling him that his license was revoked due to unspecified reasons....then he pinned it on a cheap gunsafe in the shed with gardening gear in it.....so if anyone breaks in.....I doubt it will stop them having a good poke around and finding other stuff they can steal, but he thought it would be a precaution...
    40mm, Cordite and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Thats OK....the people who saw the letter now know that you will be without a license for several months and wont have firearms on site cos the delay in getting it processed will take months....

Or try what a mate did....he scanned the letter, deleted the text and typed out a letter to himself telling him that his license was revoked due to unspecified reasons....then he pinned it on a cheap gunsafe in the shed with gardening gear in it.....so if anyone breaks in.....I doubt it will stop them having a good poke around and finding other stuff they can steal, but he thought it would be a precaution...
    Good idea, it gave me another though....

Send letters with "dear restricted weapons license holder" stamped in big bold red letters on both sides of the envelope, send these to all the PNHQ and arms office staff.
    See how they fucking well like having their home advertised to the world as a juicy target for home invasions.
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Good idea, it gave me another though....

Send letters with "dear restricted weapons license holder" stamped in big bold red letters on both sides of the envelope, send these to all the PNHQ and arms office staff.
    See how they fucking well like having their home advertised to the world as a juicy target for home invasions.
    Probably worth pointing out that his answer machine is set to sound like he has just answered the phone and then he is droned out by what sounds like a police raid complete with a fire fight before another voice says "Hang on" and hangs the phone up....
    223nut and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    The two butt hinges are probably more sturdy than a piano hinge anyway. Steel gun cabinets are not safes; a safe is a different beast altogether. The separate ammo lock box inside a steel gun cabinet almost always has a flimsy little lock on it that is easily broken into with a screwdriver. If a thief can break into the main gun compartment then it obvious that the little internal lock box can be accessed. Therefore it's reasonable to expect that ammo should be stored elsewhere or the firearms made inoperable.

I agree totally that the word 'should' is not the same as 'must'. Disappointed that this security update is not more defined.
    I suspect its enforced policy rather than legislation. Again.
    csmiffy likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I suspect its enforced policy rather than legislation. Again.
    The police recommendations are meant as guide and to be helpful, obviously not to hinder. Unless the exact details of, "secured against theft" is clearly written in legislation then the police have no choice but to make a call on what they consider it to mean. It is not the fault of the police that the legislation is lacking and needs updating.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    The police recommendations are meant as guide and to be helpful, obviously not to hinder. Unless the exact details of, "secured against theft" is clearly written in legislation then the police have no choice but to make a call on what they consider it to mean. It is not the fault of the police that the legislation is lacking and needs updating.
    I think most people following the last 10 years of administration of the arms act, wouldn't be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt any more.

Like when the re printed the arms code, changed a bunch of stuff, got called on it, and then claimed that they hadnt reprinted the arms code.
    Touch our butts.
    Storage requirements.

It keeps eroding peoples confidence.

There has been several instances of it. I had to laugh when ron mark at the colfo debate called them incompetent in their administration of the act.
    WallyR likes this.