Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Not worth the hassle...

Not worth the hassle...

Hi all,

I currently have my firearms renewal in progress and it expires end of March. I have been advised that my current E cat safe is not up to standard and I don't really want to spend anymore money to keep the E endorsement. so.....

I think the best option for me is to drop the E endorsement and then change the e cat AR15 to an a cat AR15 by changing the stock over to a fixed one with joined grip. Does anyone know the process for converting this rifle back to A category as my arms officer said he has no idea Is there a process or form one has to fill out?

Cheers,
    Brad

Did you have a manufacturer's/engineer's certificate for the safe?
    Or is your AO a qualified engineer?
    Not sure if there is any specification in the Arms Act for an E cat safe - that PNHQ haven't buggered around with.

The safe I currently use is a Chubb 9000 Fireproof safe. He said its not acceptable because I have to break the rifle in have to fit in and also doesn't appear to have dual locks etc. To be honest I no longer shoot this rifle in service shooting and no longer required 7+ rounds etc. I'm not fussed with keeping the E cat endorsement as this is my only E cat rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    The safe I currently use is a Chubb 9000 Fireproof safe. He said its not acceptable because I have to break the rifle in have to fit in and also doesn't appear to have dual locks etc. To be honest I no longer shoot this rifle in service shooting and no longer required 7+ rounds etc. I'm not fussed with keeping the E cat endorsement as this is my only E cat rifle.
    There is no requirement as to size, if you can fit the rifle in there in two bits, that is good enough. Tell him to get fucked and keep your endorsement

EDIT: And there's also nothing requiring dual locks. He's taking the piss
    veitnamcam, Savage1, Ryan and 5 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

The safe I currently use is a Chubb 9000 Fireproof safe.
    A quick search has the Chubb 9000 listed as a fire proof filing cabinet. Not sure if this is what are referring, but I wouldn't think a filing cabinet is suitable storage for an endorsed firearm.

He said its not acceptable because I have to break the rifle in have to fit in and also doesn't appear to have dual locks etc.
    No requirement for the firearm to remain in one piece or for the safe to have dual locks.

Does anyone know the process for converting this rifle back to A category as my arms officer said he has no idea Is there a process or form one has to fill out?
    No form as such.
    1. Convert the firearm to A category configuration.
    2. Dispose of any MSSA parts that may fit the rifle.
    3. Advise AO in writing that the firearm no longer meets the definition of an MSSA.
    4. The AO may/should verify the condition of the firearm.
    5. The AO updates your licence record and removes the MSSA from your licence.
    6. The AO confirms to you (in writing) that it is removed from your licence as an endorsed firearm.
    mikee, Sideshow and WallyR like this.

Perfect thanks for that. Will follow that process to start with and see where I get to.

Perfect thanks for that. Will follow that process to start with and see where I get to.

Sorry, @rs200nz - Ah couldn't 'elp mahself
    WallyR likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Hey all. Watched that queen video and thought nagh I’m not gunna give up. Purchased e cat safe. Mounted fitted ready for inspection. Muzza it is a Chubb 9000 dual drawer fire proof safe/filing cabinet. It weights 300kgs and is 54mm thick. I think steel concrete steel. Has 6 flag key. Will send some photos when I get a chance.
    Timmay, 308, Tommy and 1 others like this.

Speak to your local Chubb office. They may provide you with the specifications for the safe. Even if you ask for the fireproofing details it should be specified by an engineer, and could provide enough info to put it to bed with your AO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Hey all. Watched that queen video and thought nagh I’m not gunna give up. Purchased e cat safe. Mounted fitted ready for inspection. Muzza it is a Chubb 9000 dual drawer fire proof safe/filing cabinet. It weights 300kgs and is 54mm thick. I think steel concrete steel. Has 6 flag key. Will send some photos when I get a chance.
    onya
    rs200nz, Tommy, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Really happy to hear you fighting @rs200nz

While we are at it, who reading this can come up with the LEAST dangerous A-cat firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

While we are at it, who reading this can come up with the LEAST dangerous A-cat firearm?
    I sense this is a trick question....
    rs200nz likes this.

I sense this is a trick question....

Grandad's single shot Gecado .22lr whitout a bolt because he can't remember where he put it 9 years ago. That's a fairly safe firearm in my opinion.
    rs200nz, A330driver and Cordite like this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

For the least dangerous working gun, I thought a single shot bolt action rifle, 30/30, no free standing handle, no bayonet fitting, no flash hider.

Pretty limited what damage that can do since it's a sporting gun, not a weapon like they use in the army.

I should be able to just hang that above the fireplace with a wee padlock, no?