Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Police doing a 3 yearly check of my safe for my E Endorsement?

k30

Police doing a 3 yearly check of my safe for my E Endorsement?

Hi all, I just got a call from my arms officer to say he wanted to do a 3 yearly check of my E cat safe. I asked if it is routine and he said yes, also required if I have had a change of address (which I haven't). Are you all getting the same thing? In terms of security nothing has changed for me, but I said ok. Any thoughts on this you guys? Cheers

Banned
    They were originally planning to check everyone with an endorsed licence every year.

That never happened.

Only times I've ever been checked were during renewals.

Thoughts could be to move any a-cat guns somewhere else while they visit, if you don't want them to know what you have.
    Wirehunt and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by k30 View Post
    Hi all, I just got a call from my arms officer to say he wanted to do a 3 yearly check of my E cat safe. I asked if it is routine and he said yes, also required if I have had a change of address (which I haven't). Are you all getting the same thing? In terms of security nothing has changed for me, but I said ok. Any thoughts on this you guys? Cheers
    Yes that is normal

They can only inspect your storage and endorsed rifles so if they ask to inspect and record any A-cat firearms that you have then they are just trying it on - if there is a bed near the safe you might want to make a point of putting several rifle-shaped objects under the covers as that is none of their business...
    There will be an interview section and they interview your partner separately with the usual "Does he drink" "Ever had blackouts/dizzy spells" that sort of thing - assuming you are not single

If you get pistol endorsement then inspections become more frequent

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Yes that is normal

They can only inspect your storage and endorsed rifles so if they ask to inspect and record any A-cat firearms that you have then they are just trying it on - if there is a bed near the safe you might want to make a point of putting several rifle-shaped objects under the covers as that is none of their business...
    There will be an interview section and they interview your partner separately with the usual "Does he drink" "Ever had blackouts/dizzy spells" that sort of thing - assuming you are not single

If you get pistol endorsement then inspections become more frequent
    Why would they interview his partner if they are just doing a security check? He's not renewing his licence.

I've had a B endorsement for a long time and never had any extra checks apart from when re-licencing.

Thats because different regions and individual ao have been "personalising" the act something that has been assisted by
    A) licence holders unfamilarity with the law
    B) a willingness to cooperate based on trust and goodwill
    This is a backdoor approach to changing the provisions of the act whereby widespread acceptance of these little extras is represented as acknowledgement that the measures should be taken as standard. Making their passage into law so much easier as the consultation can be deemed as having been done.

Sorry MartyHenry you are correct - I got it wrong

Partner questions are for relicensing or new licenses only AFAIK, not endorsement inspections

Hadn't had my security inspection conducted in 5 years until I moved house recently.

AO (reading off the sheet), "... record A category serial numbers", my reply was "I refuse", without looking up he acknowledged and carried on. We had a very cordial "chin wag" before he set on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    if there is a bed near the safe you might want to make a point of putting several rifle-shaped objects under the covers as that is none of their business...
    Wish I had of thought of that. Just went through my licence renewal. The arms officer asked to record all the serial numbers of my 'A' cat rifles. He said it was optional so I said no thanks. He then said that's no problem he will just put in the paper work that I had declined to give the serial numbers. I didn't really want to come across like I had something to hide so I gave them anyway. I pretty pissed off as I'm pretty sure there are no laws that say I have to provide the police any serial numbers for 'A' cat guns. They would have had most of my serial numbers anyway I would have thought through mail order forms etc.
    paulbrady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    I said no thanks. He then said that's no problem he will just put in the paper work that I had declined to give the serial numbers.
    What a cunt
    veitnamcam, Frodo, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    They were originally planning to check everyone with an endorsed licence every year.

That never happened.

Only times I've ever been checked were during renewals.

Thoughts could be to move any a-cat guns somewhere else while they visit, if you don't want them to know what you have.
    go buy a heap of imitation machine guns and sawn off shot guns and put them in your safe.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hadn't had my security inspection conducted in 5 years until I moved house recently.

AO (reading off the sheet), "... record A category serial numbers", my reply was "I refuse", without looking up he acknowledged and carried on. We had a very cordial "chin wag" before he set on his way.
    Yup, i had the same thing. the guy who came to my place agreed that it was a waste of time. and they get paid something like $20 per visit, I wouldnt even start my car for that.
    veitnamcam, Beaker, Jexla and 1 others like this.
    Use enough gun

The last time I moved address the Palmerston North arms officer asked for my serial numbers, to which I asked if the law had been changed surrounding providing the serial numbers. He then assured me it was the law that I had to provide them. I was unsure if there had been a change to the law so I gave them anyway...not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjoe View Post
    The last time I moved address the Palmerston North arms officer asked for my serial numbers, to which I asked if the law had been changed surrounding providing the serial numbers. He then assured me it was the law that I had to provide them. I was unsure if there had been a change to the law so I gave them anyway...not impressed.
    Really? Do you recall who the AO was?
    The Palmy AO (Greg N) is/was a GC and was always fantastic to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Really? Do you recall who the AO was?
    The Palmy AO (Greg N) is/was a GC and was always fantastic to deal with.
    Potentially wasn't him then, he was an older uniformed police officer. Left a sour taste to say the least.

“Can I please record your A Cat serial numbers?”
    “I don’t have any at the moment.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    outlander likes this.