Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Re-licencing.....

Re-licencing.....

This will probably sound really dumb and super pedantic..... But do the assessors who visit for your firearms licence renewal have to be licenced firearms owners with a current FAL? I was just thinking; if not as really they are just checking on your security and doing the test etc do they actually need one? The reason I ask is that when they ask me where do you keep your safe key should I ask them if they are a FAL holder? Otherwise I'm telling someone who hasn't got one where the key is...... Yes; I'm probably overthinking it......

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Answer is best to be hidden away from the safe and right now in my pocket at moment so you can see the safe

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    ............The reason I ask is that when they ask me where do you keep your safe key should I ask them if they are a FAL holder?.....................
    Try this old and well used reply. "That's for me to know and for you to find out" and if they get all hissy, make your point about not knowing if they hold a FAL and if so, ask to see it.

MAJOR POINT ensure that your partner and loved one and even your wife, is well primed to reply when asked the same question that she has no idea. :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    and if they get all hissy, make your point about not knowing if they hold a FAL and if so, ask to see it.
    Yup; I thought to cover my arse I will ask him that. He sounded pretty reasonable on the phone when chatting. I queried him about one of the question regarding being in dim light and told him I'd try and do the all the answers if possible. But he said that it wasn't a trick question; and that there is only 1 correct answer and he would talk through any that seemed misleading. So sounded a pretty reasonable guy.

Oh; and only me here except for the cats, pigs, chooks and ducks. And they have all promised not to reveal where I've hidden the key!

This will probably sound really dumb and super pedantic..... But do the assessors who visit for your firearms licence renewal have to be licenced firearms owners with a current FAL? I was just thinking; if not as really they are just checking on your security and doing the test etc do they actually need one? The reason I ask is that when they ask me where do you keep your safe key should I ask them if they are a FAL holder? Otherwise I'm telling someone who hasn't got one where the key is...... Yes; I'm probably overthinking it......
    I would have thought there was no need to even have rifles in the safe at time of renewal...one does not have any in the safe at time of application...I have had one application and two renewals and the assessor has never touched a rifle in my care...certainly they want to see the bolts that hold it in place and give the thing a shake to check it is somewhat secure, but to touch rifles, no it does not happen.
    Maca49 likes this.

Regarding the dim light; he said the answer of not having an animal on your back isn't realistic because if you shot a pig just on dark you're not going to leave it there because it's dark. So seems to have a good idea about hunting etc

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I would have thought there was no need to even have rifles in the safe at time of renewal
    I'm just pedantically covering my arse! Rifles locked away and the ammo and bolts locked and bolted to the floor and wall in a separate location. And keys VERY well hidden..... Just crossing the T's and dotting the I's....

Yup; I thought to cover my arse I will ask him that. He sounded pretty reasonable on the phone when chatting. I queried him about one of the question regarding being in dim light and told him I'd try and do the all the answers if possible. But he said that it wasn't a trick question; and that there is only 1 correct answer and he would talk through any that seemed misleading. So sounded a pretty reasonable guy.
    What is the dim light question?...my safe is in an area where there is no light, natural or electric...one needs a torch to check it.

Question 3 of the firearms license safety test

3. To reduce the risk of being shot accidentally while hunting, especially in dimly lit conditions, it is advisable for the shooter to

-keep to open areas where other hunters can easily identify them.

-not carry anything that could be mistaken for part of a game animal.

-wear brightly coloured gear.

-only make sounds and movements that are obviously human.

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...ation-form.pdf

The last page

My bad...I thort it was something to do with positioning of the gun safe...must be a new question as I have never been asked.

Question 3 of the firearms license safety test

3. To reduce the risk of being shot accidentally while hunting, especially in dimly lit conditions, it is advisable for the shooter to

-keep to open areas where other hunters can easily identify them.

-not carry anything that could be mistaken for part of a game animal.

-wear brightly coloured gear.

-only make sounds and movements that are obviously human.

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...ation-form.pdf

The last page
    So what is the correct answer?

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Why ask - if they are the correct person then they are allowed to do their duty - I wouldn’t make it any harder than needed

No one has asked to touch my rifles - can’t say I mind they are generally nice people who are doing it because they want to in my experience up here anyway - was asked once if wanted to record serial numbers; just replied have the records for insurance - nothing more was said

I would say it's "wear brightly coloured gear."

You can't keep to an open area if walking out through the bush, you're not going to leave an animal behind in the bush because it's dark, what are "movements that are obviously human"?
    Oli1102 likes this.

Recently had my security check because of a change of address. Got a phone call on a Sunday morning, asked if today was ok, told him yes. About an hour and a half later he turned up after a long drive. Nice young fella, hopped out, we had a chat, talked about the fishing. Then we came inside to check out my safe and I pulled out my keys. He told me there was no need, he didnt want to see in the safe, didn't want to see any firearms, didn't want to take any serial numbers, or take any photo's. He inspected the safe, gave it a good nudge etc, asked how it was secured. Then we went to check out my secure storage for the bolts and ammo, same story. Then we had a bit more of a chat. He told me that he likes to do the security checks on a Sunday, if you answer the phone, you are likely to be home, so it gets the job done. And he told me that for most of the week 80% of his interaction with Joe public is with arseholes, 20% is with decent people. But all his interaction with LFAO is with decent people. All in all a very positive security check.