Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring
  • 5 Post By caberslash
  • 2 Post By imaca
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Fatberg

Thread: Recent experience of getting firearm in rental property?

Question Recent experience of getting firearm in rental property?

Hi all, im currently waiting to be contacted after finishing my course/theory. Only thing is, I rent in a flat of 6, with the lease for one year. Anyone had recent experience with this in terms of installing a safe? How did you approach the landlord as is has to be bolted to the floor which is a tough ask with 6 months left in the tenancy. Any other storage options for rental property that have worked?

Any info appreciated
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Ive always screwed to walls AND floor inside a wardrobe in rentals without issue...you just putty any holes up afterwards...also have seen it signed off inside a garage..plenty of options there or basement.... always thought there must be market for boltable concrete blocks to attach to safe so it too friggin heavy and awkward to remove it....big bolt through side of safe ,nut on inside pulling block and safe together....3 of them at 40kgs/ 6 at 20 each would just about make it in the far too hard basket to remove safe in one bit for burglering....yeah thats only 120kgs but a friggin awkward 120kgs to carry away quietly.... and you could always have the base plate huge so it wont fit out doors etc... will /way sort of thing.
    40mm and Black Rabbit like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I used to have a substantial rack that I installed on the back of the wardrobe. Two big coach screws into one stud for the main part of the rack, and two smaller ones for the part holding the barrels. A bit of polyfilla after taking it out and all good. One landlord I didn't ask about installing it, but he lived next door and knew the guy who came to do the inspection!
    The rack worked well, burglars had two goes at it and never got any guns. I think it was made in Glen Eden, Auckland.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Doesn't have to be bolted to the floor if that's a problem. Just a wall stud is okay. The older, solid racks are good if you can find one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you put enough guns and ammo in the safe it will be too heavy to move anyway

You don't have to tell your LL about the safe, just make good any holes etc after you remove the safe.
    The issue I think is having to identify all those who have access to the safe in your firearms application, that would include the LL, property management company and flatmates.
    Again, I believe (but have no direct experience) that those individuals are required to complete some forms as well and have background checks. If any of your flatties have gang affiliations or criminal history you'll be f***ed.
    Also, think about where you will keep you keys and potentially have a lock put on your room door if your safe is in your room.
    Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Don’t get too tricky hiding your keys. The farm manager asked me to put down a cow, I had to ring and say Sorry but I can’t find the keys to my guns!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Don’t get too tricky hiding your keys. The farm manager asked me to put down a cow, I had to ring and say Sorry but I can’t find the keys to my guns!
    You don't keep one handy in the Ute?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    You don't keep one handy in the Ute?
    Nope, I mainly worked in the office (and didn't have a ute). Pest control was done after hours. When I was managing a block I used to often have a rifle in the ute, but that was before they changed the rules back in 1992 (no firearms left in unattended vehicles).

And now of course you have to keep your gun safe keys, ammo locker keys and bolt locker keys all separate.

Don't need to ask the landlord, but expect to pay for repair costs if you don't do a good job of repairing the damage when you move out. Make sure the safe's moved out well in advance of the end of your tenancy to give you time to repair.

Since your room is your personal space, put a lock on the door so the inspector can't insinuate other people might be able to get to the safe without your permission. Practically speaking the safe is stronger than the door is, but it shows that you've defined your personal space.

If you've just applied for your license you may find you end up moving out before they ever come to inspect you or issue your license. New licenses are taking up to 15 months now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    This is good one.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

I think your biggest issue will be the new application form and having to do a creative writing essay about the character of each and every person who has access to the house you live in. Physically installing a safe is probably the least of your worries.
    mikee likes this.