Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Tedz50
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Reload data on internet

Reload data on internet

Just reading a cast bullet forum and found a discussion on using smokeless in muzzle loaders.
    These same people are putting there favourite loads up for others to use and think blowing a gun up just a learning curve.
    A good reason not to grab any load off the internet and try it.
    Have been looking for trailboss loads for 50BMG and seen loads from 50 to 90 grains at the same relative velocity by keyboard cowboys.Any load on here should be checked a reliable source.

smokeless powder is not like black powder. the more pressure during initial ignition makes smokeless powder burn faster then open air. using for that size of canon could be bad, now Black powder for example a .44cal Pietta is advised for 28grn bp and works good and is relatively safe, and can be used consistently. now a 44spl recommends no more then 7 grns smokeless powder. so I figured great-- use 4x less smokeless as black... great idea. tried it on a pietta. first shot ok, second shot, ok, 3rd shot it blew apart. there went 250.00. whoo hoo did some more math... figured out for a cva v2/lr/ 6x less smokeless then bp -- great idea, second shot blew it apart there went 700+dollars. now both these things worked great with black powder and would have for years, but they were designed for black powder which has a compete different burn rate then the smokeless. you can buy commercially available black powder from Goex
    akaroa1 and Micky Duck like this.

Scary thought that people are doing that !
    But I have seen some astonishingly stupid BP info on the internet recently as well

I'm playing around with some very high capacity BP cartridge rifles now and it would be easy to get a nitro for black load wrong when there's space for 130 grains of BP under the bullets
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings All,
    Just another not so gentle reminder that we should not use data from any scource (including this forum) without verifying it from pressure tested data. Way back when my hair was thicker and a different colour good pressure tested data was scarce and some handloaders loaded to the red line and beyond. Today there is plenty of tested data so there is no excuse for intrepid loads. Some loads published as late as 2,000 are excessive so only the latest data should be used.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Danny and bumblefoot like this.

Tedz50 are you out of black powder???? or were just feeling adventurous???? pleased you are OK and didnt do harm to body,only the wallet.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Tedz50 are you out of black powder???? or were just feeling adventurous???? pleased you are OK and didnt do harm to body,only the wallet.
    Was a direct quote from an American cast bullet forum and if you hit up Mr Google I am sure you will find it.It scared the shit out of me just reading it.This same site gives a lot of reload data for cast bullets and a common theme is x amount of any fast powder gives x velocity out of any similar case with any bullet.Another is you cannot fit enough blackpowder or trailboss in a case to overload a gun.
    A disaster waiting in the wings and Murphy has a saying that springs to mind.

By the way I have enough blackpowder to see me out and enough trailboss to load about 500 50BMG's thus the search for loads.

rightho...so to debunk a bit of what you just typed

from my understanding...there is A load for cast projectiles that IS called the UNIVERSAL LOAD and it pops up on this forum too....from MEMORY its 10grns of a certain powder...maybe unique...maybe green dot...its a fast powder /shotgun powder...I do remember that much..pretty much any std cast projectile in normal range works with it......

blackpowder now thats an interesting one,FROM MY UNDERSTANDING as long as there is NO air space in a straightwalled case....you cant overload as any that not needed blows out end of barrel.....definately the same deal with a front stuffer

trailboss,is a funny one,you have to look at WHY it was made..for cowboy action shooting loads,a replacement for black powder or under loading with smokeless
    the standard recipe for trail boss,the standard STARTING POINT is 80% of your normal load BY VOLUME......

that STARTING POINT is from manufacturers of trail boss...

as for not being able to fit enough in a case...if you think of the wee 7.62x39mm you cannot overload it with AR2206h it simply will not fit.

so if you employed the same VOLUME of trail boss minus 20% you would be still down low in charge range...the plastic LEE spoons are absolute GOLD for loading trailboss.....

with all things reloading,triple check data,preferably from 3 sources at least one of them being a paper manual if still in dought find someone you trust to do the quickload thing...(how I got lilgun loads for the x39mm ) if all else fails look at the nearest case to what you have got and for the love of God..start low and work your way up.
    no two rifles are the same....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Was a direct quote from an American cast bullet forum and if you hit up Mr Google I am sure you will find it.It scared the shit out of me just reading it.This same site gives a lot of reload data for cast bullets and a common theme is x amount of any fast powder gives x velocity out of any similar case with any bullet.Another is you cannot fit enough blackpowder or trailboss in a case to overload a gun.
    A disaster waiting in the wings and Murphy has a saying that springs to mind.

By the way I have enough blackpowder to see me out and enough trailboss to load about 500 50BMG's thus the search for loads.
    Name:  Image (2).jpg.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  477.5 KB

From Hodgdons
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What’s wrong with just getting the data straight off the ADI website. Surely that’s up to date and even max loads are very conservative?
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    What’s wrong with just getting the data straight off the ADI website. Surely that’s up to date and even max loads are very conservative?
    Greetings @Nathan F,
    This is exactly what I do for 90% of my loads although I use the Hodgdons site which presents the same data plus other powders as well. For the 50BMG there is no data for Trail Boss so the Hodgdons system for load development can be used. I don't use Trail Boss currently but do use AR2206H for reduced loads for some of my old soldiers (.303 and others) and soft target loads for my .308. Hodgdons offers a method for developing these as well where they are below the start loads in their data. Much safer than copying loads from the interweb chat groups.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings @Nathan F,
    This is exactly what I do for 90% of my loads although I use the Hodgdons site which presents the same data plus other powders as well. For the 50BMG there is no data for Trail Boss so the Hodgdons system for load development can be used. I don't use Trail Boss currently but do use AR2206H for reduced loads for some of my old soldiers (.303 and others) and soft target loads for my .308. Hodgdons offers a method for developing these as well where they are below the start loads in their data. Much safer than copying loads from the interweb chat groups.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Yes agree 100% . I only load with ADI powder so why would i look anywhere else.