Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Relocating gun safe on same property.

Relocating gun safe on same property.

Hi Gents

I am wanting to move my gun safe out of the garage into the house as it picks up to much moisture in there from the laundry.

Do I need to notify the police so that a firearm's officer needs to come and inspect the safe once I have moved it?

I have an A cat license with no endorsements.

I tried searching the NZ police website but all they mention is when you move address in which case I am not.

Cheers.
    keengunNic likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Logic would say yes, as he would need to check it was secured to the wall / floor.
    However, whats the bet that it’s not recorded exactly where in the house the safe is ?
    Get it checked, for your own peace of mind.
    Maca49, 10-Ring and 6x47 like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Ask your AO. Get it in writing.

It may not be recorded as being in garage BUT IF IT IS, and they inspect later you will likely have some explaining to do.

It was inspected and passed muster in-situ, therefore if moved I would hazard a guess it could then be argued that it was no longer as inspected as per requirement.

I would say Yes as when I got mine inspected in a shipping container 2018, while I built the house he asked if would be moving into the house as would need reinspected.

If you wire a 40watt 220v light bulb (NOT A LED) 1/3rd of the way off the bottom of the safe and leave it turned on. It'll keep contents and inside of safe warmer than the outside and therefore
    no chance of condensation inside the safe. The heat off the bulb causes convection and stirs the air inside the safe. End of problem......
    Butt! I would say that as long as you relocate and installed the safe in its new location to the word of the FA code or better than the code requirements. That there shouldn't be any questioning of what or where you keep the safe. As long as it's compliantly installed. Prob better in the house inside a cupboard bolted to the walls studs and to the floor..... with a dead bolt on the cupboard as well..... Should help with insurance company too??? Weld the head of the bolts to the safes walls take that ya Mothers!

Maybe I am just over cautious.

But when we moved last time the same AO that inspected the exact same method of storage at the old place said it was "borderline" at new place.

Done exactly the same way 9 months apart.

Edit: I should add, it well and truely over complied in both instances.
    timattalon, thejamesjames and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Maybe I am just over cautious.

But when we moved last time the same AO that inspected the exact same method of storage at the old place said it was "borderline" at new place.

Done exactly the same way 9 months apart.

Edit: I should add, it well and truely over complied in both instances.
    When my last inspection happened the person checking saw what I had in place, the referred back to her paperwork thinking she had missed an endorsement or something......Always figured too much is better than too little...
    mikee likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    Hi Gents

I am wanting to move my gun safe out of the garage into the house as it picks up to much moisture in there from the laundry.

Do I need to notify the police so that a firearm's officer needs to come and inspect the safe once I have moved it?

I have an A cat license with no endorsements.

I tried searching the NZ police website but all they mention is when you move address in which case I am not.

Cheers.
    Idea. I run an oven light-bulb in mine. Negligible power drain and enough to keep any moisture at bay and mine is full. It works and available from any Mitre 10.
    10-Ring and Moa Hunter like this.

When we moved into this house after I had finished building it from our tiny house which we had sold, the arms officer at the time did not want to come back and recheck. It wasn't as if it was far either as at the time she lived 2 doors down from us.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    There’s no requirement for a reinspection of your security under those circumstances. Part of being a fit and proper person is being trusted to maintain your security to spec. You’ll secure the locker to studs and floor, with bolts and plates and it’ll comply. Job done.

As a benefit, when the biggest armed gang in the country leaks the shopping list to a lesser gang, all they’ll steal is your garden tools and grease gun...
    rugerman, mikee and chainsaw like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

There are cupboard heaters available at Mitre 10 etc. Ideal for safes.
    rugerman and 10-Ring like this.

+
    get it inspected when you move it but make sure its empty of all firearms so they can "see the fastenings clearly"
    2post likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    +
    get it inspected when you move it but make sure its empty of all firearms so they can "see the fastenings clearly"
    Local Arms guy never wants to look, just swings on it.
    Got-ya likes this.

When I got my license, all I had was a padlock and bracket for one rifle. Since then I've installed a steel safe. I have not informed police and there has been no reason to. It's on you to make sure it is screwed in well to joists/floor as appropriate, with decent screws (there is some guidance on the screws).
    rugerman likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Moving your safe from one location to another within your property is perfectly fine provided the fixings are the same or better, and the new location is suitably inconspicuous within a secure building. You don't need to advise the Police until they come for their next check. The primary purpose of the security requirements is to ensure that firearms are secured to at least the specified standard. Advising the Police is only required when changing the address.
    tetawa, rugerman and Cordite like this.