Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By Reindeer
  • 1 Post By Steve123
  • 6 Post By kiwijames
  • 7 Post By Beavis
  • 1 Post By Cordite

Thread: Responsible Firearms Use near Wanganui

Banned

Responsible Firearms Use near Wanganui

Photo in the link.

Road signs riddled with bullet holes sparks concerns over firearms

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12044438

By: Liz Wylie

A road sign riddled with bullet holes has sparked concerns about reckless discharge of firearms.

Residents of Ratana, halfway between Marton and Whanganui, say the bullet holes were first noticed in the Ratana turn-off sign on SH3 on Monday.

It was probably duck shooters, one resident told the Chronicle "but some people are concerned that the shots were fired by a person with a grudge".

Duck shooting season offiially begins on Saturday.

The bullet holes were reported to the police by Piri Rurawhe, secretary of the Ratana Church, after a concerned resident posted photos on the community Facebook page.

"I contacted police and they came out to have a look at it — they identified them as shotgun holes," Rurawhe said.

"They opened a file but I'm not sure we will find out who did it ... still, it is concerning, not what we want out here."

He believed Higgins contractors had been asked to replace the sign.

Police said they issued general cautions to hunters participating in duck shooting season.

Acting Superintendent Mike McIlraith issued a statement to hunters advising them not to "wing it" during the weekend.

"I can't emphasise enough the importance of handling firearms safely.

"It is critical hunters treat every firearm as loaded, always point firearms in a safe direction and to check your firing zone."

"Anyone who is planning to use a firearm is required to have a valid firearms licence and comply with the New Zealand Arms Code.'

The NZ Transport Agency, responsible for installing and maintaining the signs, said it was "a real concern that a firearm may have been discharged unsafely in a public area".

NZTA's regional transport systems manager Ross I'Anson said the issue arises from time to time in rural areas and is certainly not isolated to this sign.

Rangitikei district councillor Soraya Peke-Mason, who lives in Ratana, was also worried by the incident.

"This a rural area and it has its challenges," she said.

"It could have been done by anyone ... maybe someone who doesn't like Ratana.

"It has happened before in and around the cemetery ... people had been possibly visiting loved ones at the cemetery, had a couple of beers and got a gun out of the boot of the car."

1: Crap reporting by one of NZ leading news agencys, fairfax.

2: Complete muppetry on the hands of person in charge of a firearm.
    Note how I have said person in charge - its not defined who was the muppet who pulled the trigger. "its probbably duck shooters" what sort of a crap statment is that!! FML I dont know any duck shooters in our area who are shooting 00 Buck!!! Because that is what has hit this sign.

What is not discussed in the article is the current situation with the criminal population. After it being quite benign and quiet for quite a few years the peeps who have stickers on their backs have started a little bit of a war, of sorts.
    Its amoung themselves at this point but there has been a rash of serious crimes committed in town. I would pick that this incident reported in todays paper is a warning for someone.
    Cordite and outlander like this.

They had one of theose " it's not a target" 100 k signs by National Park a few years back that had been a target. Irresponable but caused a few chuckles.
    40mm likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Why a road sign I cannot fathom. Driving from Napier to Taupo for approximately the distance between Te Pahoe to Rangitaiki nearly every road sign has some form of gunshot damage. From buckshot to 22 and everything in between. Some are on bends where the exit is not into the roadside, but onto the incoming traffic. I was mortified.
    Stack these feral assholes all in a dump, 5 deep. These clowns fuck it for the majority of us responsible enough to have the right to own.
    steven, Nickoli, sometimes and 3 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Thing is it could be anyone, licensed or not
    Ryan, Nickoli, Tommy and 4 others like this.

If licensed - this should finish the culprits "fit & proper status;" the culprit is a criminal irrespective of whether they hold a license or not.
    As for the last line in the report: "It has happened before in and around the cemetery ... people had been possibly visiting loved ones at the cemetery, had a couple of beers and got a gun out of the boot of the car." - WTF? Conjecture by the councillor (which is not acceptable in any journalistic standard) or a criminal as defined above - certainly not fit & proper!!

@Reindeer is right they point the finger at duck shooters first and don’t even mention this crime wave and little war they have going on.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post

What is not discussed in the article is the current situation with the criminal population. After it being quite benign and quiet for quite a few years the peeps who have stickers on their backs have started a little bit of a war, of sorts.
    Its amoung themselves at this point but there has been a rash of serious crimes committed in town. I would pick that this incident reported in todays paper is a warning for someone.
    At least two buckshot loads fired, one to each side of the sign, the rear shot apparently fired at more of an angle from SH3 with less pellets hitting. Consistent with someone leaving Ratana, shooting the sign before turning right on SH3 and taking a more hurried shot to the back then. Could be a deliberate message - not simply drive-by vandals - or maybe not. Someone there will probably know.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-40.0...7i13312!8i6656

Name:  4NU3ELJSUFAVXCQLJCVAQCESJU.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  23.2 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Looks a bit big for Buckshot more like Rifle Slugs, like .65 .730 size no ?

Crazy to say Duck Shoots !

Heard from the farmer who lives about 200m from this sign. They said it was thursday night last week, wee hours, and heard 2-3 shots moments apart.

I dont believe they would be rifled slugs. They would have sailed clean through 8mm ali that the sign is made of.
    Saying that, if it were a sawn off it wouldnt have had the velocity behind it. But then id be surmising like the dead beat who wrote this article.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Heard from the farmer who lives about 200m from this sign. They said it was thursday night last week, wee hours, and heard 2-3 shots moments apart.

I dont believe they would be rifled slugs. They would have sailed clean through 8mm ali that the sign is made of.
    Saying that, if it were a sawn off it wouldnt have had the velocity behind it. But then id be surmising like the dead beat who wrote this article.
    @Reindeer

Hard to tell if it was a sawn-off as a larger spread may equally have caused part of the load to miss entirely, but a short barrel would have reduced power a bit.

Most shotgun velocity is achieved in the first ~30cm of the barrel so shortening them render them no less dangerous. Scary.
    Reindeer likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch