Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By 40mm
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By nightowl52
  • 2 Post By imaca

Thread: Rifles as baggage

Rifles as baggage

Anyone have info on taking a rifle/s, ammo as check in baggage on airlines domestically? I've never done this (even though I work in the industry). I know I can call the airline and ask. I have the hard gun cases.
    Was going to take my .223 down south last week and blow some bunnies up but in light of the "being really nice frenzy by media and politicians (a politician)" thought better of it. Didn't want to be confronted in the airport by shoot first cops or anti gun goody goodies squealing and being over dramatic.

Dont let this shit interupt your normal life.

Make the call to the airport and notify the police there too.

Put a musical instrument sticker on the hard cases and all those who would have berated you will hug you and offer you a ride in their Prius.
    AzumitH, tetawa, Maca49 and 2 others like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post

Put a musical instrument sticker on the hard cases and all those who would have berated you will hug you and offer you a ride in their Prius.
    Ha! Taxi driver in WLG told me the other day one of their drivers has done over a million kms in his/her prius.

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl52 View Post
    Ha! Taxi driver in WLG told me the other day one of their drivers has done over a million kms in his/her prius.
    On it fifteenth set of batteries, free electricity, no taxes and no polluting to date!! Fcuking Awesome!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post

Percussion segment ?
    nightowl52 and 40mm like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl52 View Post
    Anyone have info on taking a rifle/s, ammo as check in baggage on airlines domestically? I've never done this (even though I work in the industry). I know I can call the airline and ask. I have the hard gun cases.
    Was going to take my .223 down south last week and blow some bunnies up but in light of the "being really nice frenzy by media and politicians (a politician)" thought better of it. Didn't want to be confronted in the airport by shoot first cops or anti gun goody goodies squealing and being over dramatic.
    You work in the industry and you’re asking here??

Ringing the airline will only get you an opinion.

Not even ten minutes spent on the respective airlines website and you’ll have all the info you need. Print it off and have it with you.

Or you could try the search function here, it works really well. You’re not the first to have asked....

B

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    You work in the industry and you’re asking here??

Ringing the airline will only get you an opinion.

Not even ten minutes spent on the respective airlines website and you’ll have all the info you need. Print it off and have it with you.

Or you could try the search function here, it works really well. You’re not the first to have asked....

B
    In the first instance would rather get some ideas from experienced user friendly dudes rather than some condescending, holier than thou airline prick.

Back when I used to travel a lot shooting, a simple phone call to the airline before turning up and then going to a check in desk rather than the self check in bits seemed to do the job. Make sure your bolt and ammo is in a checked in bag, and isn't in with the rifle or in your hand luggage (seen a few bolts confiscated). Finding where to pick up the rifle at the other end was always a good laugh...normally an oversize luggage area or similar.
    May have changed, but always used to find it quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjoe View Post
    Back when I used to travel a lot shooting, a simple phone call to the airline before turning up and then going to a check in desk rather than the self check in bits seemed to do the job. Make sure your bolt and ammo is in a checked in bag, and isn't in with the rifle or in your hand luggage (seen a few bolts confiscated). Finding where to pick up the rifle at the other end was always a good laugh...normally an oversize luggage area or similar.
    May have changed, but always used to find it quite easy.
    Yup, pretty much as I thought, was a bit concerned about doing it last week with all the anti-gun frenzied ranting. Just got a suppressor for my Ruger .223, so keen to try it on a friend's farm down south.
    Sonicjoe likes this.

Watch your ammo. Some checkin people insist on it being in factory ammo boxes, even though that is not mentioned on the website.

MSL
    Checked the rifle in and carried the bolt and ammo in my carry on

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Checked the rifle in and carried the bolt and ammo in my carry on
    You sure about that or do you mean a separate checked bag?

I would not try going through security with a bolt and ammo
    ebf and nightowl52 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    You sure about that or do you mean a separate checked bag?

I would not try going through security with a bolt and ammo
    Gawd yeah, I would imagine those lovely people at AKL domestic security would be all over you if you tried to carry a bolt and ammo thru in carry on. I see a lot of them and I imagine they'd relish the chance to nail you.