Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By r87mm
  • 2 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 2 Post By MarkN

Thread: Rules for non-FAL airgun storage?

MB

Rules for non-FAL airgun storage?

What are the rules for non-FAL airgun storage? Surprisingly hard to find an answer to this simple question.

MB
    Come on, the finest brains in the shooting community and no one knows?

Its not a firearm so it must be stored in a sock drawer.
    If you dont have a sock drawer of sutable construction one can be made providing it meets the sock draw minimum requirements for security.
    It would be worth making sure you can fit the sockdrawer in your vehicle along with another seperate lockable sock drawer for any pellets to comply with the non firearm transport rules.

Seriously tho just keep it out of easy access of children, presumably you have a safe so that would be the best place.
    Bagheera, rugerman, MB and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

From memory. They must be stored/ secured in away preventing access by children and unauthorized people. No safe as such, but what you may think is secure may not be the same as polices interpretation. Would think a locked cupboard/ cabinet, or chained securely in a wardrobe etc would be minimum. If you have a firearms liscence then they are considered a firearm and those rules apply. Power doesn't come into it then.
    MB likes this.

No law that says it must be locked up.

Cops say it should be locked up, in their brochure.

An incident caused by having an unsecured air gun may thus cause trouble by your next FAL application, or earlier.
    Bagheera and MB like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    If you have a firearms liscence then they are considered a firearm and those rules apply. Power doesn't come into it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    No law that says it must be locked up.
    Damn. If I have to make room in the gun safe, I might as well buy my boy a rimfire. Law is an ass.
    Sika stag likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    If you have a firearms liscence then they are considered a firearm and those rules apply.
    That's not what the Arms Act or Arms Regulations say, sounds more like the police making up their own rules again.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    What are the rules for non-FAL airgun storage? Surprisingly hard to find an answer to this simple question.
    Probably the same as Non fal firearms storage....tattoos and a patch?, gun goes in the wardrobe or beside the bed......ammo can be stored where it was dropped last.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

As it’s not a firearm who would know you had one ? Common sense should apply, as in keep it away from kids and idiots.
    Interestingly if you have been refused a FAL or had one revoked you cannot own a air rifle.

I am unqualified to give a definitive answer, but I'm interested, never the less.

My opinion and it is just that, is that in isolation, the treatment of an air rifle's storage, might be the same as how compound bows and arrows are viewed.

i.e. when being used for a lawful purpose, target practice, transport, storage, shooting rats, then normal adult common sense, applies.

If being used for unlawful activities, i.e. threatening grannies, then it becomes an offensive weapon, much like a large or small knife or a stout walking stick.

Then the trouble, becomes not one of having a FAL, it becomes one, of being an individual of interest.

I would imagine that if one did have a FAL, then storing an air rifle in the same way as the firearms, would be sensible and prudent.

I would also imagine that a bunch of meth smoking kids, who've broken into your house, much like the ones who stole my car, would not be able to ascertain the merits, of an airgun's storage and would probably just steal it anyway, if they found it.
    Bagheera and Cordite like this.