Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mucko
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 3 Post By nelpop

Thread: Safe Installation

Safe Installation

Hi all, apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect thread.
    I was wanting to ask for opinion on installing my new 5 gun safe. My house is up on poles and the under side of the home is all open. I thought going through the floor would be the quick solution but wondered if there would be any issues having the bolts exposed and easily accessible under the house. I was also planning on bolting it to the wall (jib).... Can anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Tim

If it were me I would bolt through the floor but make sure you put a decent packer under the flooring, like a 90x45 and use 50x50 washers. use a 90mm coach screw into a stud or nog for wall fixing. That's the best you can do surrounded by timber

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

you need two in the wall beam and two in the floor. ideally into the floor joist. if not thick plate 10-12mm thick say 200mm square weld bolt to plate and have nut inside safe. your only trying to stop someone undoing it from under the house or someone pulling the bolt head through the floor from inside eliminate those two factors and your AO should be satisfied.
    P38 and Sideshow like this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

your average Burgler isn't a rocket scientist......to see bolts under floor of house and be able to connect the dots to workout that's the ones we need to undo to get out gunsafe...yeah nah don't think so, make them coach bolts through another solid lump of timber and they be buggered up anyway unless they have angle grinder and don't mind making noise.
    as mucko said the nuts will be inside your safe, as for the wall.......1/2 dozed gib screws wont shift in a hurry as cabinet bolted to floor so wont get any leverage to move them. if you can locate a stud in wall to screw it to even better but that can be trickier than it sounds.

Thanks guys, just had a look, going to put 4 bolts up through the floor then two into a stud in the wall.

Battery powered angle grinders are now the tools of trade for the determined guys ie they already suspect you have firearms.
    I always say exceed what the AO may want. The game of just meeting the requirements of the AO or somehow putting one across him doesn't wash with me.
    4 bolts thru the base sounds good. Definitely aim to get side bolts into a stud TimK. I opened my wall up and bolted 50 x 50 angle iron on to the stud and have 12mm holes tapped into the angle iron for side mounting. Plus I have 4 bolts into the concrete floor thru the base. Work on the theory of you must be happy with the outcome - assuming you are concerned about the security of your toys and you must be to have started this thread.
    Danny likes this.

Just nail a 6x2 between the floor joists and coach screw the safe bottom into the 6x2 that way no bolts are visable. Coach screw into a wall stud or nog and thats enough. You will have to be pretty good and detrmined to pull out a coach screw.
    dirtyhabit, sheppard84 and Fawls like this.

You could attempt to disguise the bolts underneath.

Say you have enough room under their for storage, use the bolts to hold a couple bike racks and get a couple old bikes to hang there if you dont have one already....

Our fit a big basket with a lid full of old plastic bags or some such like a rubbish bin so it covers the exposed bolts

Anything you can do to look inconspicuous so the bolts either cannot be seen (covered by something that looks like it should be there) or so the bolts look like their primary purpose is holding up what is attached to the outside and not worth stealing.....

Burglars are smart, but not rocket scientists. (Otherwise they would earn more building rockets..........) They are after the quick bucks, easy and fast. If they wanted to work hard at it for little reward, they would probably get a real job.......

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    Just nail a 6x2 between the floor joists and coach screw the safe bottom into the 6x2 that way no bolts are visable. Coach screw into a wall stud or nog and thats enough. You will have to be pretty good and detrmined to pull out a coach screw.

This is another method that will work well.

Like what Zimmer said, having just put in one and on advice received we put four up and two into the wall. An 8mm packing plate under floorboards and another inside the cabinet. The bolts were facing upwards with the nuts inside the cabinet.
    Either way; if I'm wanting to get them, I will but good to see you play your part.
    Dan M

Gone But Not Forgotten
    If it's an A category gun cabinet then you only need to put two 10mm or larger coach bolts or similar with decent sized washers into a wall stud or nog. You don't have to secure an A cat gun cabinet to the floor. Of course, it's not going to hurt by doing so.

Put a wooden packer at the back of the cabinet if it abuts against the skirting board. Have the packer the same thickness as the skirting board and preferably have the bolts going through the packer.