Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Black Rabbit
  • 5 Post By SiB
  • 2 Post By pennyless
  • 2 Post By JessicaChen
  • 2 Post By Black Rabbit

Thread: Safety storag compliance & my little lsituation of no fixed home yet...

Safety storag compliance & my little lsituation of no fixed home yet...

Hi

You may knew me from the introduction section recently, a Beijinger from China whom after two years of being stranded overseas finally could go back to NZ in May ( have to take those jabs to enter). I do `t own any firearms since I got FAL in 2018, because I was waiting for my wife to come, because I was hoping we could do as that father and son in CHCH on that day in GC, bought the first .22 and walked to their car with it unpacked during the middle of a Sunday. (pleas forgive my poor English, hope you guys could understand my feeling. To own a gun for me is not just piece for hunting, but a symbol)

Well, the question. I have decided not to wait for my wife to come, and I plan to buy a shotgun 20 or 12g for duck season, and a 308 or 223 have `t decided yet, maybe a small game rifle, lever action 22 LR, or 17HMR. The thing is, I have to follow job opportunity of which if you knew, and you know, and move with it. Thus, to rent a place to live as far as I can see is not an good option, I would rather stay in motel in CHCH until a job or business could allow me to stay in a place at least for two years.

I have read a thread here, and I am not asking for a favor. I was thinking of my storage unit, but it seemed would `t do. Police stations in CHCH, anybody tried before? GC, for example, if I buy guns and ammo, are they will allow me to store it in their place in CHCH? Any other commercial place I can talk to?

Thank you
    Jusepy likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

SiB
    My 2c worth would be to become active with Deerstalkers Club. Make connections, meet people and in particular, other hunters.

If you’ve got your FAL well sorted, a safe is an imperative. Fitting one in a rented dwelling can be problematic and has been discussed on here previously. Heed it well. Some landlords are pretty narrow minded others are decent and supportive.

Possessing a range of firearms is a good goal - but attend to where and who you’ll use them with. It’s very easy to fall into the trap of buying and dreaming.

Where are you based?

You will also note on here that GC are often not highly regarded. They love new first gun prospects. Shop around. Ask around. You’ll start to get a feel for who you can truly trust - and that’s a biggie
    madjon_, Brian, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    My 2c worth would be to become active with Deerstalkers Club. Make connections, meet people and in particular, other hunters.

If you’ve got your FAL well sorted, a safe is an imperative. Fitting one in a rented dwelling can be problematic and has been discussed on here previously. Heed it well. Some landlords are pretty narrow minded others are decent and supportive.

Possessing a range of firearms is a good goal - but attend to where and who you’ll use them with. It’s very easy to fall into the trap of buying and dreaming.

Where are you based?

You will also note on here that GC are often not highly regarded. They love new first gun prospects. Shop around. Ask around. You’ll start to get a feel for who you can truly trust - and that’s a biggie
    Thank you for these kind words. I shall contact deerstalkers club and other club. I will be in Christchurch, had moved from Auckland before this pandemic, really do `t want to go back but who knows where a fit job could be and that `s why I need to stay mobile.

Hi Black Rabbit & welcome to New Zealand.
    Please put up what sort of employment you are looking for ( if you haven't already )
    This forum has a very wide audience and someone may have a suggestion.
    I agree Christchurch is a nice place.
    Pennyless
    Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyless View Post
    Hi Black Rabbit & welcome to New Zealand.
    Please put up what sort of employment you are looking for ( if you haven't already )
    This forum has a very wide audience and someone may have a suggestion.
    I agree Christchurch is a nice place.
    Pennyless
    Thank you very much, mates. Actually we love lots of places, Nelson, Picton, Gisborne, the far north and Kaikoura is wife `s favorite ( it `s mine too just do `t want her know yet).We had traveled over 100,000km in NZ since 2015, Taupo, your place we had been there for several times but only stayed once. Sorry, did `t make much contribution to locals. Will come again for sika deer, the top deer in the world.
    For jobs, I am hunting for skill level 1,2,3 works to satisfy INZ, or level 4 such as adventure guide sort since my three years work visa was wasted almost. And because I chose to stay with my only family, my wife when pandemic began, did `t rush to go back NZ like everybody else, thus I am stranded for two years and excluded from the R21 one off residency. Really hope there could an R21 plus one, but I am always not a lucky guy. Thinking about to start a biz in Mackenzie for the good for me and locals, but you know, how can I...under such...
    Thank you again, wish you a good weekend, and hopefully could join you in next spring hunt for sika deer. I cook for you.

Hey! Welcome. My dad is stuck in Shanghai right now.

I’ve thankfully have good enough landlords that allow me to keep my (just two) firearms in the rental property. Gun safe well attached to a wall inside a closet.

But yeah as mentioned good idea to join a local club and meet people. Sometimes the deerstalkers meetings can be a bit bland and people might not understand how to make new folks feel welcome, but don’t be afraid to talk to people and mingle break the ice a bit. They’re all good folk.
    Finnwolf and Black Rabbit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Hey! Welcome. My dad is stuck in Shanghai right now.

I’ve thankfully have good enough landlords that allow me to keep my (just two) firearms in the rental property. Gun safe well attached to a wall inside a closet.

But yeah as mentioned good idea to join a local club and meet people. Sometimes the deerstalkers meetings can be a bit bland and people might not understand how to make new folks feel welcome, but don’t be afraid to talk to people and mingle break the ice a bit. They’re all good folk.
    Thank you. I am sorry for your oldman and for all the Shanghainess, and their hard times caused by.... I am Beijinger, Once have an office in Shanghai, Pudong for two years.
    My last safety check ( Changed address), the officer showed me how to pass inspection without need to punch any holes to fix a gun safe. Only need two strong eye screws, a steel cable or chain, and a padlock, and fix them in my built in wardrobe since there is strong timber structure. As said, my issue is can `t rent a house or apartment right now. so...
    Yeah, I will join NZDS as well pistol club, do some sport shooting. Yeah, I think I can handle the talks with strangers. I am sales, making new friends would `t harder than making cold calls
    small_caliber and JessicaChen like this.