Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SAVAGE SAFETY WARING!

Exclamation SAVAGE SAFETY WARING!

On my last hunt i had an issue with the safety on my rifle (Savage Model14 American classic .308), i tried to release it and it was stuck tight, there was a round in the chamber and the bolt handle was locked down.

I took a minute to think about the problem, pointed the rifle in a safe direction and forced the safety forward, as it went it let the firing pin forward, no bang but a major concern all the same. I didn't tell the others and didn't put another round in the chamber for the rest of the trip.

Once home i removed the rifle from the stock and inspected the trigger mechanism. (I have previously removed the accutrigger and inspection showed this had no impact on the problem) It seems that over time the trigger has worn away slightly to the point where if the trigger is squeezed while the safety is engaged it will let the sear move back to a point that only the safety is holding it.

I called the NZ distributor as soon as they opened on Saturday morning and told them of the problem, they asked to see it so i took it in to show them (2hr round trip) They said it was odd and hadn't encountered it before, it wasn't a warranty issue and the replacement trigger would be at my cost (I am happy to pay for a safe reliable rifle).

The shop staff didn't seem to care but i don't want to see anyone accidentally discharge a round in any direction, so please if you have a savage firearm, check the safety! Close the bolt on an empty chamber, engage the safety, give the trigger a firm squeeze, take your finger away from the trigger and then release the safety.

.................................................. ..................

The shop staff never called me back and when i called them today, a trigger had come in but it was the wrong one, there are none in the country and next shipment is two months away. I suggested it would be quicker and easier for me to buy a replacement out of the USA to which he agreed .
    I asked for a deal on another rifle the same, so i could swap out the trigger until a replacement arrived and was quoted shelf price with no room for negotiation.

I'm totally dissapointed and dissillusioned at the lack of care and customer service Today IS the last time i ever deal with the importer/distributor of Savage arms in New Zealand!

Keep Luke's Model 7?

Contact Savage directly and let them know everything.
    veitnamcam and steven like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Thanks for that Savage. I have a Savage Axis in 30-06 that I will check this weekend as that is the rifle I was planning to take on my roar trip this year.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Does sound unusual and worrying - as said above contact Savage directly, they make a big deal about safety so I expect they will be very interested, its not something I've heard of happening before.

When you say you removed the accutrigger, do you mean that you replaced it with an aftermarket trigger? Or removed and re-installed the same one?

Impure Lead Flinger
    How old is the rifle??? Sounds to me like it most definitly should have been a warranty issue!!! They could have atleast offered to swap out tge trigger

Impure Lead Flinger
    Stupid phone!!!

With one on the shelf themselves!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Thanks for that Savage. I have a Savage Axis in 30-06 that I will check this weekend as that is the rifle I was planning to take on my roar trip this year.
    The axis is a completely different action and trigger, but I guess no matter what your rifle is it never hurts to check the safety from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Does sound unusual and worrying - as said above contact Savage directly, they make a big deal about safety so I expect they will be very interested, its not something I've heard of happening before.

When you say you removed the accutrigger, do you mean that you replaced it with an aftermarket trigger? Or removed and re-installed the same one?
    I removed the Accutrigger (metal pretrigger if you like) the first Savage rifle i had got a pice of twig in it preventing me firing a shot at a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    How old is the rifle??? Sounds to me like it most definitly should have been a warranty issue!!! They could have atleast offered to swap out tge trigger
    I brought the rifle new in August 2011, probably been into the bush 50-80 times maybe fired 150 rounds?

"I brought the rifle new in August 2011, probably been into the bush 50-80 times maybe fired 150 rounds?"

There is such a thing as the CGA, an 18month old rifle hardly used (150 rounds) would I think fall under a free replacement/fix. They also have to repair it in a reasonable time, 2 months wouldn't be it for me. There should be a CAB about I'd suggest asking them for advice.

Oh and as others have said I'd email savage and comment.

regards

Impure Lead Flinger
    Yep i agree with steven.. such a major mechanical failure is acceptable!!! I have a savage 22mag done 2000 odd rounds and shes still goin strong and hope it continues to. .

Yeah This is bloody acceptable!!!!!
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    I removed the Accutrigger (metal pretrigger if you like) the first Savage rifle i had got a pice of twig in it preventing me firing a shot at a deer.
    The blade is a pretty fundamental part of the accutrigger mechanism (IIRC it blocks the sear until depressed), did you consult a gunsmith about it before making a modification like that? Could well be you've caused the problem yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The blade is a pretty fundamental part of the accutrigger mechanism (IIRC it blocks the sear until depressed), did you consult a gunsmith about it before making a modification like that? Could well be you've caused the problem yourself.
    That is what voids warranty. I have put it back in, and it only blocks the sear only if it passes the trigger, But jams up there instead.

I would imagine when you altered the trigger you also voided the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by savage270 View Post
    I would imagine when you altered the trigger you also voided the warranty?
    Exactly! As you would read in my inital post, i don't expect it to replaced under warranty.