Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Semi-automatic guns sold by Defence Force being used by gangs

Banned

Semi-automatic guns sold by Defence Force being used by gangs

Sounds like some of those old SLRs are turning up in the the hands of gang members.

I wonder if any were those sold by Dale Jenner or John Mabey?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12178046

Semi-automatic guns sold by the Defence Force to the public in the 1990s, are turning up in the hands of gangs and organised criminal groups.

More than 170 military-style, semi-automatic guns had been seized by police in the past five years.

More had been taken in each of the last three years than in any year in the past decade.

In a briefing to the Minister last year police said they were concerned that they had seized military-style guns from gangs and organised crime groups during searches.

They said gangs were starting to use a different type of firearm - the high-risk military-style guns used in massacres in the US.

The director of Otago University's National Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, Kevin Clements, said these guns getting into criminals' hands was hugely concerning.

He said the guns had a huge lethal capacity in the hands of gangs and could cause mayhem.

"If the police are capturing larger and larger numbers of them then it means this [gangs and organised criminal groups] is where they're actually located."

Firearm owners said an amnesty or seizure of military-style guns would still leave them in the black market.

The Council of Licensed Firearms Owners said it was a problem that military-style, semi-automatic guns were in the hands of criminals but was adamant there were legitimate, safe uses for them when in the hands of licensed people.

Council vice-president Michael Dowling said buy-backs had a whole lot of issues and wouldn't even target the right people.

"So if we took access off those who haven't done anything wrong, removed the firearms from the system and say it's all fixed, we still have illegal importation and the existing stocks."

- Newstalk ZB

Buhhh... Defence force SLR's were select fire tho?
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Buhhh... Defence force SLR's were select fire tho?
    No, The SLR's were semi-auto but they had to be further modified to Police specs before they could be sold to the public. The gangs guns were either stolen or purchased before the MSSA laws came into force (1992). The only SLR sales by the Defence Force were in 1988.
    Tasbay and grunzter like this.

And how many SLRs were registered anyway? I bought one, I’m sure it would have been traceable?
    E cats are now registered? So is the system not working? They don’t seem to follow up?
    Serial numbers? Even ground or filed off, the numbers still there!
    Orchestrated beat up I think?
    Cordite and outlander like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I will bare my buttocks and bend over for big bubba if the firearm in the article photograph was ever owned by the Defence Force. Fuck I hate sensationalist fear mongering media.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Another trash article

Yep, I am with you Rushy! That is a commercial AR15 rifle that was in A category configuration before the bigger mags were added (when found, or just before the photo was taken?), therefore no 'registration' records were originally required. It is possibly one of the gang related 'straw man' purchases of a year or so ago. A search of dealers arms books will reveal the purchaser, but which dealer?
    Moa Hunter, outlander and rewa like this.

@Rushy @gundoc
    what is with you two bending over for bubba?
    outlander likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Rushy @gundoc
    what is with you two bending over for bubba?
    I felt it a better than safe bet that bubba was not getting anywhere near me.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It is precisely this sort of scaremongering by the media that precedes unfavourable changes in firearms legislation.
    Note the focus on one particular type of rifle.

So did Defense Force SLR'S get converted to semi's @gundoc? Regardless that article was just scare mongering crap...

Gotta make sure they say "military-style" weapons a few times to really brainwash the masses.
    outlander and rewa like this.

The end of the article said it all though!
    Interesting what @gundoc said about 88, and the article states 1990s.
    Nice also that we get the last say.....himmm wonder when we get the first say?
    outlander likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

What a crock of shit

No journo seems to have put their name to it besides "Newstalk ZB"

For shame, I imagine

But “the media” all parrot the same shite as it’s fact - Joe public hears its from 3 or 4 sources.....so it must be real and must be fact. I dispair at the biased shit incapable morons that parade as “journalists”, they either have their own private agendas or they are simply cashing in on the click bait $$. No scruples or morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    So did Defense Force SLR'S get converted to semi's @gundoc? Regardless that article was just scare mongering crap...

Gotta make sure they say "military-style" weapons a few times to really brainwash the masses.
    They were manufactured as semi-autos and that was the way the Army used them but it was a parts change to convert then to full auto. Before they could be sold to the public dealers had to modify them in a permanent manner as specified (and individually checked) by the Police. That involved grinding out the safety sear bent on the hammer, removing the safety sear and welding a spacer in the slot, and (initially) putting a stop pin on the safety selector. The Police system was not irreversible if you had a few clues, so I did a few mods (which they accepted) which gave a much more difficult system to convert. There were 2500 rifles put up for tender and I purchased 1000 of them. The next biggest purchase was for 400 and all the rest went out in smaller numbers. Being the biggest purchaser I got the best rifles and they arrived in my shop 31 March 1988. I had been at Trentham the day before to supervise loading the container and getting my permit signed. That was the biggest cheque I had ever written at that stage of my life!