Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: T3 Half- cock issue

T3 Half- cock issue

Greetings all..

I have a friend down ChCh who has an issue with a T3 to which he has had a half cock mod just done.
    He was out withb a companion last week - roared up a stag went to close bolt - rifle discharged
    scared crappers out of him - needless to say no staggy - boy .
    Bit of a concern really
    when he got home put tape over fired case head and chambered + closed bolt - firing pin indent on the tape- he doesn't reload so cant chamber just a primered case.
    he asked me what I think - seems like sear not engaging and is firing when closes bolt

I have advised him to speak with a good gunsmith I know in Carterton then take the rifle back to the gunsmith who did mod on it

as he says very dangerous and hes only glad nobody got hurt
    does anyone have any similar experience of this happening post T3 bolt Modification?

raises a safety concern as you would expect the rifle to be returned in a safe condition..

welcome your thoughts

Cheers

Trigger could also could be set to light.....
    7mmsaum and HNTMAD like this.

Unpopular opinion here.
    Why do you need half cock if your rifle is always pointed in a safe direction?
    Load a round and put on the safety - keep your finger off the trigger.

I've always used half cock - never liked to use safety with one up the spout ready to go - I only push the bolt home when I'm about to shoot ..personal preference so long as what works for you and is safe ...
    Shootm, Munsey, BushHunter and 1 others like this.

SiB
    Trigger too light wld be my suggestion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Unpopular opinion here.
    Why do you need half cock if your rifle is always pointed in a safe direction?
    Load a round and put on the safety - keep your finger off the trigger.
    I dont think it has anything to do with the half cock at all, if it did it ion closing then it is not a half cock issue.....i think. Have had all 3 of mine done and no hassle. My first thought was finger on the trigger at time of engaging bolt?? Other thing just go straight back to original gunsmith, dont involve another one

Hamish
    tetawa, BRADS, shift14 and 1 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I think he'd be aware if he had his finger on the trigger or not.....

Not the first person to have done it

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by ex-NZFS View Post
    I've always used half cock - never liked to use safety with one up the spout ready to go - I only push the bolt home when I'm about to shoot ..personal preference so long as what works for you and is safe ...
    Yes I also hunt using the half cock, never use safety that's one of the reasons I brought myself a BSA CF2 for the action
    Dose sound like a trigger or could be not enough tension In the bolt Spring. Straight back to the gunsmith

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Sounds like the trigger. Definitely take the rifle back to person who did the work.

This is a good read and makes a lot of sense. http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...pen-bolt-5204/

trigger issue not a sear issue. if the sear didnt engage as the bolt was closed it would just slide down the cocking ramp and not have enough force to ignite a primer. i think the sear likely was engaged and either the trigger is too light or the trigger was touched by mistake.

personally i see no need to have a half cock. if your are that close that you need one up the spout then why not just have the bolt fully up. some will argue that the bolt could slide back and eject the round. the rife should be level anyways and you will be going slow so catching on bush shouldnt be an issue. so theres a good reason not to have one!!

or have one up the spout and have the bolt closed with the sear disengaged. then you just need to lift the bolt up and close it again.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    or have one up the spout and have the bolt closed with the sear disengaged. then you just need to lift the bolt up and close it again.
    No, don't do this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

That is absolutely the most dangerous way to carry a rifle! The average mainspring has a compression weight of 16 pounds which would be holding the firing pin against the primer. One good stumble which knocks the rifle could (and has in many instances) fire the rifle. Half-bolt or a proven reliable safety, both coupled with the muzzle in a safe direction, are the only two safe ways to carry a rifle with a loaded chamber. I have always used the half-bolt, and only when I am definitely onto an animal, otherwise I have the bolt closed on an empty chamber. Incidently, half-cock only refers to rifles like the Lee Enfield that have a half-cock position on the striker, the use of which is notoriously dangerous and not what it was designed for. The design was a safety feature in case the rifle was dropped when loaded (not uncommon in military use). The sear would catch the half-cock bent (notch) if the sear was released without the trigger being deliberately held back.

Please stop giving advice.
    dogmatix likes this.