Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Target id.

Target id.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to hunting. I've been out in the bush a few times and as a relative newbie feel I am looking at the sport with fresh eyes. A lot of my mates have been hunting for a long time and I have been around it for many years. What I noticed in the bush is how different the sight picture through a scope looks and how radically it changes with a bit of cloud cover or different light conditions. Even while I was looking through the scope the sight picture changed dramatically with a cloud coming over or in late afternoon with falling light. It got me thinking about two things.

1- With a lot of the NZ bush having cell coverage these days could there be an app that can be turned on in the bush that shows where other hunters are. Not saying you need to walk around staring at your phone all day but something that will show there's someone over there and another over there. It doesn't need to identify the person just that they are there. Maybe there could be some sort of alert that comes up if you are within 200 or 300m of each other (silent of course vibrate might be enough). You could look at it before going in or check occasionally during the day. If your buddy can't be seen it can show you where they are.

2- I was amazed at how the sight picture from eyeball to scope and even looking through the scope can change. What if your guns were made safe and have a look at each other through the scope in all different conditions to see what the sight picture of another person looks like. Ideally we could get a look at the sight picture of a deer but not so easy or frequent. I know this goes against the grain with treat every firearm as loaded but with some common sense this could be made safe. At least then you will have a good idea of what the sight picture of another hunter looks like.

Not saying this will be the total solution but could swing the balance in the right direction if you do happen to start lining someone up by mistake. Also not saying I'm right just putting it out there for discussion. I know that our brains can be easily fooled but with an existing sight picture in our mind of another hunter it could be the difference between pulling the trigger and having a beer with him later.

What are the thoughts.

Who have you got your mobile through? Vodafone coverage cuts out for me a couple of k's outside towns.
    bigbear likes this.

My BIL and I tried to interest MSC in developing a lightweight signal emitter (cheap, mass produced), for this purpose, to be carried by anyone in the bush - trampers & hunters.
    Maximum range in thick bush would've been 500-600 meters and directional, so you'd get a warning that someone was nearby and in your possible line of fire.
    Thought about a warning light in the scope view, but final trigger operation would be the hunter's decision.
    The signal would be line of sight only, so transmitters on the other side of a ridge wouldn't stop a shot.
    Never heard back from MSC.
    There's a patent out in West Germany for something very similar (intellectual only), but apart from the Garmin 2 way radio/GPS, not aware of any other equipment around.

Purely in jest.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  19.3 KB
    shooternz, WallyR, keneff and 2 others like this.

Personally I don't think the answer is in electronic aids.
    A shift in personal standards, attitude and some basic knowledge of the 'human element' would be far more productive and reliable.
    GravelBen, Beaker, Gibo and 5 others like this.

You live in the north island don't you Gordo? (I assume your name is Gordon, or you're chubby...) it amazes me the coverage you seem to get up there, where as down here in the forgotten isles I live on the Canterbury plains 20 minutes from chch and have to dance around and hold my tongue just the right way to get a text message to go through.
    There's already an answer to this problem, but people seem to not think much of the idea and go round shooting other hunters anyhow. It's a matter of changing the mindset of these people not giving them more gadgets to make things even more confusing for them
    BRADS, Beaker, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

El Gordo!!
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Gordo...... if you look at it like this you wont go far wrong.....
    that thing Im looking at....are the antlers bigger than the ones on wall at home???? does the back steaks look to be nice n fat or is it a skinny beast??? are those ears swiveling or just drooping???? are the legs walking,stomping??? red or fallow (my Mrs wont eat fallow so important for me).....is it a black pig or another dog like mine??? ok so its a live animal of type I want,and can carry it out from here.
    yip I want to eat it.....bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Personally I don't think the answer is in electronic aids.
    A shift in personal standards, attitude and some basic knowledge of the 'human element' would be far more productive and reliable.
    Agreed - the problem with electronic aids is that people can (consciously or subconsciously) start to rely on them instead of using their own sense and judgement. You'll never get everyone using them, but you might get some people assuming another person is an animal because they don't have an electronic signal.

I'm not saying this would be the total answer. Totally agree that attitude is the most important thing. Yes I'm in the North Island where coverage is better but can still be patchy. I'm not thinking that you would have it on all the time. Maybe have a look at it just before going into an area and see if there is anyone else showing. Of course you wouldn't be able to rely on it due to signal coverage. But as another tool it might just make someone more aware there are other hunters in the area and take a bit more care. Definitely not the total solution though and I agree that it is no substitute for common sense and taking care.

It just seems there are a number of people being shot and some by very experienced hunters who you think would know better.

Many years ago a mate of mine shot his hunting buddy. He was very experienced but still got caught out. One thing that stuck in my mind was the way he talked about the sight picture. I often wonder if he had seen that sight picture previously if the outcome might have been different. How many hunters actually look at other hunters through a scope to see what they look like. I still believe however the problem is many really want it to be a deer instead of thinking that it could easily be another person.

Fair comments so far though. Nothing wrong with putting all ideas on the table.

That is true about becoming reliant on it. I don't think it would be accurate enough to think oh there's no signal so it's not a hunter. More to make you aware there are definitely others in the area. I guess the issue then becomes oh well there's no other signals so I must be on my own and I can blast away. People would need to understand the limitations of it due any number of factors the main one being signal coverage. At the end of the day you can't throw sense and judgement out the window because you have an app. It would simply be another tool in the tool box.

ha ha definitely not El Gordo. You are right though that too many may come to rely on it instead of seeing it as another tool. Stress, expectations and adrenaline are things that can lead to poor decisions being made. The thing with my mate is he was absolutely convinced he was looking at a deer wen he pulled the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    The thing with my mate is he was absolutely convinced he was looking at a deer wen he pulled the trigger.
    No he wasn't. This is why any kind of research into why this happens etc will always be flawed, because the shooter always gives the same bullshit answer.
    crewe2 likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Are you his mate Ryan??You can’t make that judgement call. You weren’t there. All Gordon has done is chuck some ideas out there for discussion not to be ripped to shreds by by people on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Are you his mate Ryan??You can’t make that judgement call. You weren’t there. All Gordon has done is chuck some ideas out there for discussion not to be ripped to shreds by by people on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right, maybe he had taken lsd or something, I wasn't there
    BRADS likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors