Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Travelling with guns in a motorhome / campervan

Travelling with guns in a motorhome / campervan

When away from home for an extended holiday in a motorhome with firearms it's not possible to my way of thinking to avoid leaving them unattended in the vehicle.
    There is no space for a safe or even a cupboard big enough that will take something of that length, that can be fitted with a lock in mine. The ammo and bolt can be locked away for one but the lever gun not so easy. I can hide them out of sight with a cable lock in the action but in the event the van was broken into and a firearm stolen even if not in an operational condition I may end up in a v-deep pile of trouble. What precautions do others take when travelling with guns ?
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

You could leave them with your friendly AO in each town you visit and carry them in a case every time you leave the van, I have the same problem tripping to my Bach,
    jennifersmith2521 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Could you bolt/weld a small A cat safe to the chassis underneath, and waterproof it somehow? Also, an immobiliser/gps arrangement on the vehicle to make it harder to take the whole lot?

Perhaps even a capped length of 6" pipe instead of a safe for instance?

I like to visit places that don't have a town attached to them.

Been underneath, what with the water tank the grey water tank, fuel tank there is room for a pistol safe but thats likely to get me into more grief if the van got stolen. It does have an immobiliser.

There's a way. There always is. Some are just easier than others What model of motor home is it?

Behind the drivers seat? John there must many firearms carried and stored in cars, motor homes etc, asked you AO? Either everybody breaks the law or they have a solution, or you take up knife throwing and a a bow.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I have a mate who is currently living in a caravan,
    He has to chain them through the action to the caravan out of site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    There's a way. There always is. Some are just easier than others What model of motor home is it?
    It may be cheaper to get a break down rifle that the barrel and the stock can be stored separately and thus fit into smaller places. (Also an excuse to get another gun....)
    Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The law needs to be amended. Technically a vehicle is a lockable container of stout construction. In this intance I feel the law makes it acceptable to break into a vehicle, but leaving a firearm in a locked vehicle is not.
    The "powers that be" need to realise that not leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle is not realistic.
    An example would be; I drive on a hunting holiday to Stewart Island. I travel on my own. A trip of about 1500 km one way. Now somewhere along the way I'm going to have to stop for a crap. If I take my gun to the crapper with me I may well be charged with carrying a firearm with out proper cause/good reason or something similar. If I leave it in a vehicle I may be charged with leaving it in an unattended vehicle.
    Our law makers need common sense guidence. What are the chances of that happening?

I too have had this issue you mention. I thought about it and was curious to find out if "going to take a dump" could be considered a proper and lawful reason considering leaving it in the vehicle unattended was not supposed to be an option. I may have to have a quiet word to the local AO when I see him next.

I spoke with the local AO today he was ok with the ammo and bolt locked seperate to the guns and the immobilser.The guns to be locked away in a cabinet or box secured to the vehicle, or well hidden somewhere. I've found a space that can be closed in 1150mm x 420mm x 70mm that will hide two with some carefull construction. From what is on the net and other persons experience with there AO there seems there is no standard regulation and its open to interperation by the local AO.Mine did agree it is not practical to be with the vehicle or guns at all times.
    Maca49, Tommy and CBH Australia like this.

You are technically screwed if you don't have firearms under your personal supervision if outside of suitable security at your personal dwelling.

You can be charged irrespective of the amount of security or effort you go to if you leave unattended in a motor vehicle. 7mmWSM is correct, the law needs to be changed. But it is unlikely that it will be.

You should make real efforts to secure and hide, but you shouldn't leave unattended other than for short periods, and certainly not overnight. Take firearms with you and keep close. You just have to hope that the Police won't screw you if something bad happens.

Legalities aside, and back to the physical security, one of these bad boys thru the floor would be a good start...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    john m likes this.

Ok so done a search and this old thread came up.

I'm not looking for opinions rather have facts, but has anyone actually lived in a motorhome for an extended period with a rifle?

Will find out who the local AO for this area and ask as well.

Possibly looking at a year on the road if we can get all our ducks to line up, if we can't it will be back to the drawing board.

Can't comment on what type of vehicle it will be yet as we are only just starting out on the idea.
    Maca49 and CBH Australia like this.

@Happy Jack Yep Spent just over 3 yrs on & off travelling around Australia in our custom rig l built ,The Bush Pig.

Shot Sporting Clays & Skeet competitively in every state & hunted when ever we could everything from Quail to Sambar.Had a 4 gun safe under the bed.

We spent a lot of time away from the rig as we had the boat in tow & Dived/Spear fished/explored for days at a time off shore & would get into some very remote spots .

Bush Pig-

Name:  InkedRED -Bush Pig_LI SML.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  514.1 KB
    Trout, tetawa, bumblefoot and 8 others like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan