Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Trial Firearm Licence Firearm Safety Programme

Trial Firearm Licence Firearm Safety Programme

Update from Mike McIlraith, Officer in Charge, Arms Act Service Delivery Group, NZ Police...

Background
    New Zealand Police (Police) are required by Regulation to deliver firearms safety training and to date this has been achieved by the engagement of a suitable third party. By 1 July 2018 Police intend that a new firearms safety programme will be delivered for a two year trial period. This programme will be in two parts: theory and practical.

Theory knowledge will be provided by Police via an online learning module hosted on the main Police website. The theoretical test will be done online through a government agency acting on behalf of Police. Practical training will be delivered for Police through a contractual arrangement with one or more third parties with a focus on hands-on safe-handling and use of firearms designed to improve safety outcomes. It is the intention of Police that the third party for the practical training will be identified via a Request for Quotation (RFQ) process which will be commenced in January 2018.

bugger...thought for a minute they were going to introduce a learners firearms licence.....which I firmly believe has great merit.
    my thoughts are
    #1 can use firearm independantly (so no more 1 gun B.S. when hunting with young/learner)
    #2..... three day storage ..so can pick up on friday and use for weekend
    #3 need sponser to store long term...this gives sponser time to ask what,where,when.why BEFORE handing over rifles...so if young BillyBob is intending to piss up with mates then spotlight cockies farm he COULD HOPEFULLY be talked out of being a dick or told piss off you not getting rifle and if you not happy I will call coppers and tell them I wont be sponser any longer.

food for thought
    as it is a young person with dodgy past has only slim chance of getting licence but a probation period /learners licence could help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bugger...thought for a minute they were going to introduce a learners firearms licence.....which I firmly believe has great merit.
    my thoughts are
    #1 can use firearm independantly (so no more 1 gun B.S. when hunting with young/learner)
    #2..... three day storage ..so can pick up on friday and use for weekend
    #3 need sponser to store long term...this gives sponser time to ask what,where,when.why BEFORE handing over rifles...so if young BillyBob is intending to piss up with mates then spotlight cockies farm he COULD HOPEFULLY be talked out of being a dick or told piss off you not getting rifle and if you not happy I will call coppers and tell them I wont be sponser any longer.

food for thought
    as it is a young person with dodgy past has only slim chance of getting licence but a probation period /learners licence could help that.
    There is no scope in the legislation for a 'leaners licence'. You either have one or you don't.

I see no benefit, and many areas of concern for your proposal.

Interesting to see that NZPOL have included a practical training/assessment as part of the safety course. We shall see how well they consult with the community on the content.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    mikee, Ryan, Banana and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    I see no benefit, and many areas of concern for your proposal.
    I can think of several deaths where the guy at fault was an older, experienced firearms user. Would be interesting to crunch the stats on that one, but I see complacency as a big big factor, especially in misidentification of target and unloading of firearms in the last year or two.

Interesting to see that NZPOL have included a practical training/assessment as part of the safety course.
    If they were to do it in-house, they might want to stop pushing out the staff that show interest in firearms in favour of promoting staff with zero knowledge or interest (AKL central being one example.), and maaaaybe do the opposite. Personally, I don't think the police should be looking after firearms licensing at all. Rather, it should be tacked onto Internal Affairs or the like.
    Maca49, timattalon, norsk and 1 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I welcome the introduction practical training / assessment component of the course. It's important to learn how mechanical devices operate and what to do in the event that they malfunction.
    sometimes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I welcome the introduction practical training / assessment component of the course. It's important to learn how mechanical devices operate and what to do in the event that they malfunction.
    Yes, agree, but who is to do it? That's a key point
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Yes, agree, but who is to do it? That's a key point
    That remains to be seen. Obviously a person or entity familiar with the use and function of the various different types of firearms out there, perhaps one without a vested interest in the laws that govern them.
    Tommy likes this.

Here’s the rest of it.

Requirements
    Interested parties will be required to deliver a two-hour practical training session focusing on safe handling of firearms. Programme content and key result areas are still under development however the programme will be largely designed as a hands-on safe-handling and use of firearms, designed to improve safety outcomes. No live-firing of firearms is involved.

Expected RFQ questions
    Describe your organisation and experience at managing and delivering training programmes.
    Describe your organisation’s ability to manage budgets and business plan implementation.
    Describe your organisation’s experience at delivering firearms safety training to firearms’ users.
    Describe your organisation’s intended instructors’ experience and selection process.
    Describe how your organisation will manage programme delivery consistency standards (quality assurance) functions for training.
    Describe how your organisation could provide additional safety, hunting and firearms-use literature or online material to support a new firearm user.
    Describe how your organisation will deliver sufficient firearms safety training sessions nationally every 12 months in the locations shown in the table below to meet the anticipated volume of trainees, and a suitable percentage of contingency sessions for small trainee volume increases.

Out of scope
    The theory training will be provided online in the Police web site, and the theory test via a Police partnership arrangement with another government agency. The RFQ is for the practical training component only.
    Whakatupato Programme will continue delivery of services in addition to any service provision resulting from this RFQ.

Support and resources provided
    Training programme supplied and owned by Police. Programme to be developed in consultation with firearms community representatives in first quarter of 2018.
    Training venues at each location provided through Police partnership arrangement.
    Booking system for sessions will be supplied and owned by Police. System development to take place in second quarter of 2018.
    Initial and subsequent train-the-trainer sessions for all instructors at limited locations across New Zealand; instructor attendance is compulsory and costs of travel will not be met by Police.

Other requirements
    Training programme delivery frequency will be scheduled by Police in agreement with the provider to meet anticipated audience locations and volume.
    Monthly reporting on all aspects of the programme delivery against plan, including financials. Format will be developed and mandated by Police.
    There will be a financial cap for available funds to deliver this service. This cap will be advised as part of the RFQ.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

right now a kid can go in and fail 6 times in row with out leaving the place before passing, and being shown what they got wrong, I think if u fail then you need a rebook test just like a drivers licence test.
    outlander likes this.

You have to provide 660 courses across the length of the country per year with 20 FAL applicants per course.

The question might be, who would want to do it? And who would be capable of handling it. MSC got rid of there volunteers, could be an opportunity for NZDA?

Also it will be interesting to see what Police will charge for it? $100 ea would be 1.3million
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I've always thought a practical element is required and its in line with European countries licensing systems.

I would have appreciated being shown practical safe handling, basic marksmanship techniques, how the different actions work, what to do with jams/misfires and taking them apart etc when I first got my license.
    Pointer likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I've always thought a practical element is required and its in line with European countries licensing systems.

I would have appreciated being shown practical safe handling, basic marksmanship techniques, how the different actions work, what to do with jams/misfires and taking them apart etc when I first got my license.
    Makes sense and makes for more confident and responsible firearm owners. One doesn't just provide theoretical training on how to operate cars, forklifts, lathes etc.

At the moment,except our sas in Middle East, there are no organisations that I can think of that qualifies for what the police is asking. Nzda with some ex msc are the most appropriate providers for what they want it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    At the moment,except our sas in Middle East, there are no organisations that I can think of that qualifies for what the police is asking. Nzda with some ex msc are the most appropriate providers for what they want it seems.
    http://www.fss.nz/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bring back Cadets and rifles ranges at colleges, just like the good old days, plenty of skills learnt on handling and firing firearms, including pistols and all types of military weapons!! Sitting on the grass pulling them to bits and reassembling!! Oh and nobody died, the TV Aerial at the back of the rang took a hammering with the .22s!!
    No wonder I got hooked early, of course I have rocks in my head for suggesting such things in this PC world today!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough