Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Want to avoid jail - 900m close to a dwelling

Want to avoid jail - 900m close to a dwelling

Hello all,

I'm considering getting my license and a .22 rifle for pest control (possums & feral goats), stock euthanasia, and off handly mentioned this to my neighbor who rather forcefully told me he would happily call the police if I used it. He claims that law forbids shooting closer than 900m from the nearest dwelling. I've been unable to find a specific range permitted and don't want to fall foul of the law. I've reviewed the Arms Code manual and the Arms Act 1983 but am coming up blank.

Is there a resource that I'm unaware of that has this information or is he just blowing wind? I would like to get my license however can't see the purpose if I'm not allowed to use a rifle on my property.

Many thanks, members!
    Feral and Steve123 like this.

Cant say I have heard that one before.
    Would make most lifestyle blocks illegal to shoot on so I doubt it.
    Steve123, Cordite and rewa like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sounds like your neighbour is a whiney little person who is best cashing in their lifestyle property for a two bedroom flat in town.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Dundee, 199p, Savage1 and 23 others like this.

Cole
    Sounds like your neighbours a cunt. He wouldn’t even hear a suppressed .22 at 900m! Probly wouldn’t hear it at 90m
    Nathan F, Bryan, Dundee and 13 others like this.

It is inaccurate. Section 75 arms act

A person commits an offence...if the person, without reasonable excuse, discharges a firearm.... in or near a dwellinghouse or a public place so as to - (a) endanger property; or (b) endanger, annoy, or frighten any person.

There is no quantified minimum distance.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Dundee and 12 others like this.

I would recommend being discreet and very careful (always, anyway) using firearms on your property if the neighbour is opposed, depending on the circumstances and the area
    Bol Tackshin, Cordite and rewa like this.

You neighbor is a f.o.s. whiney nimby.
    Steve123 and Cordite like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

So clay birds at your place for the next year or two?

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Scooby, 199p, Maca49 and 6 others like this.

Arms act 1983, section 48:
    "48 Discharging firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near dwellinghouse or public place
    A person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or to a fine not exceeding $10,000, if the person, without reasonable excuse, discharges a firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near a dwellinghouse or a public place so as to—
    (a)
    endanger property; or
    (b)
    endanger, annoy, or frighten any person."

Methinks you have a reasonable excuse in your duty of pest control. There are reasonable precautions to take such as using a silencer with subsonics, firing out of neighbours view, etc. etc. He sounds like a dickhead though ... so expect trouble either way. Don't take goats with just a .22 rimfire, SPCA may get involved. I'd have assumed 200m is reasonable distance from Mr Dick's dwelling so long as you don't whizz bullets over his roof.
    Boaraxa, keneff and rewa like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post

A person commits an offence...if the person, without reasonable excuse, discharges a firearm.... in or near a dwellinghouse or a public place so as to - (a) endanger property; or (b) endanger, annoy, or frighten any person.

b) makes that tricky in this situation. Yes the neighbour is a whiny prick, but no one wants that kind of trouble. Personally, I would talk to the police in advance, but I've only had good interactions with them.
    thejavelin, 199p, JoshC and 7 others like this.

I tried to find the specific distance as well but couldn't find it in legislation.
    The reason I tried to find it is Gun control NZ want the distance extended from the existing? distance.
    Their proposed distance, and I cannot recall what it was, maybe the 900 metres, means I would not be able to do rabbit control on my block.
    This despite my nearest neighbour being a long way away.

With a neighbour like that ring the Police before you start shooting, explain what you are doing, that the neighbor is likely to complain, give your address, their address and name and ask for the logged job number. Then even if the neighbor rings the Police they should have it noted and unless you have done something really stupid that should be the end of it.

Get him saying it on record, then just use it as evidence of a vexatious complaint in future.
    Cordite, rewa, Dago and 1 others like this.

He could complain because your use of a firearm annoys him - however:

a) never shoot in the direction of his boundary thus preventing endangering him / his property.
    b) Use a suppressed 22lr with subsonic ammo - this will be extremely quiet so that removes noise complaints, don't be flashy with it or set up a plinking target near his boundary so he's less likely to see it.

He could still complain that it scares or annoys him - however you have taken all relevant precautions with regards to safety, and mitigating any effect (noise) on him - if he complains from there it should be thrown out as it is a normal activity in a rural setting, pest control is an essential part of rural living. Hell he wouldn't get on to well in my area - especially in a couple of weeks when a lot of the ponds around us will sound like a warzone.

note - I wouldnt recommend a 22lr for goats, pretty inhumane with such a small margin for error on shot placement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post

print off pertinent piece. Hand to neighbour saying arms officer supplied it and would welcome any queries