Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: When will trade me sellers learn

When will trade me sellers learn

That it is not safe to sell reloaded ammo for use in firearms other than the firearm the load was developed in. These guys are really risking their arses doing that especially if a round causes someone a serious injury.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

R93
    Not saying I agree with just anyone selling reloaded ammo but if it is loaded properly I dont see a problem. SAAMI spec cases with common projectiles seated correctly are easy to replicate and safe.
    The Kaiser used to sell reloaded ammo and would never say where it came from exactly.
    Last edited by R93; 25-09-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I saw that listing also... its been removed now anyway.
    Not legal to sell it according to the arms code so far enough.
    My version is a few years old and they spelled ammunition wrong under the heading.. "Reloading ammuntion"
    I guess it must be referring to 'munted'....
    Treat every firearm as loaded - Always point firearms in a safe direction - Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Identify your target beyond all doubt - Check your firing zone - Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Always been illegal to sell reloaded ammo as far as I know & for the reasons already mentioned.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Always been illegal to sell reloaded ammo as far as I know & for the reasons already mentioned.
    I was told by the MSC dude at my licencing meeting thingy that it is illegal to even GIVE reloads away. He said if you reload it, you fire it and no other (legal) option exists.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I am only like that now after I had a reload blow up in my face and was reloaded by Mark Bridgeman the round was that fucking hot it jammed the bolt shut, the case head was firmly stuck in the bolt face and the case had to be tapped out of the face of the bolt to reveal the case head stamping was no longer there just a bright shiny surface, primer pocket had damned near expanded double its diameter and brass had flowed into the ejector hole, let alone the fucked extractor and chipped boltface. Before then I would fire anyones reloads if they were supplied with a rifle that I would be shooting and even costed me the confidence to fire my own for a while. Costed me a bloody nice rifle that incident which was a remington 788 in .243 and I had only bought it 3 days before hand and those loads were supplied with the rifle I was just lucky that the seller told me who did the loads.

The other part about buying reloads off trademe is how do we even know if the cases are necksized only therefore round not suitable to fire in any other rifle or FL sized to make them suitable for other chambers, is OAL suited for chamber of different rifle as all chambers are not exactly the same especially the throat there fore could end up with the ogive of the bullet being jammed hard into the lands, then there is the fact is the person a stoke it up till she cannot take any more or is the person a conservative reloader who would not go anywhere near book max. Just too much bloody variables to even consider when it comes to the welfare of your face and life. Once I start reloading and have another rifle again I won't even allow anyone to fire the rifle if I only have reloads on me unless I had a couple of factory rounds to spare.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Did you talk to Mark about it and if so what did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I am only like that now after I had a reload blow up in my face and was reloaded by Mark Bridgeman the round was that fucking hot it jammed the bolt shut, the case head was firmly stuck in the bolt face and the case had to be tapped out of the face of the bolt to reveal the case head stamping was no longer there just a bright shiny surface, primer pocket had damned near expanded double its diameter and brass had flowed into the ejector hole, let alone the fucked extractor and chipped boltface. Before then I would fire anyones reloads if they were supplied with a rifle that I would be shooting and even costed me the confidence to fire my own for a while. Costed me a bloody nice rifle that incident which was a remington 788 in .243 and I had only bought it 3 days before hand and those loads were supplied with the rifle I was just lucky that the seller told me who did the loads.

The other part about buying reloads off trademe is how do we even know if the cases are necksized only therefore round not suitable to fire in any other rifle or FL sized to make them suitable for other chambers, is OAL suited for chamber of different rifle as all chambers are not exactly the same especially the throat there fore could end up with the ogive of the bullet being jammed hard into the lands, then there is the fact is the person a stoke it up till she cannot take any more or is the person a conservative reloader who would not go anywhere near book max. Just too much bloody variables to even consider when it comes to the welfare of your face and life. Once I start reloading and have another rifle again I won't even allow anyone to fire the rifle if I only have reloads on me unless I had a couple of factory rounds to spare.
    You are ready to put the knife into someone on the say-so of the person who sold you the ammo [illegal activity] and yet in your last sentence you say you don't trust your own reloading...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Did you talk to Mark about it and if so what did he say?
    I spoke to him the day it happened he admitted they were his loads and he didn't even offer to fix it at his cost. All he did was get his hammer out and belt the bolt open and destroyed the ammo.
    Last edited by hunter308; 25-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You are ready to put the knife into someone on the say-so of the person who sold you the ammo [illegal activity] and yet in your last sentence you say you don't trust your own reloading...just saying

No spook I am saying if I fuck up on a powder charge I would rather it be me that gets hurt and not someone else. When I raised this at F&H without mentioning marks name four other members messaged me sharing the exact same experience and they were also .243's which were also damaged which he also did not want to fix or replace and they knew exactly who I was talking about so no knife in his back at all even H&F Taupo have had people say that they had rounds of his go chernobyl on them.

Faaark thats not good at all Hunter308. Scary to think this is not a one off freak accident.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

You were lucky it was only a .243, had it been a 'real' gun it could have been mess mess mess. If, after the fuck ups you say happened, how come this person is still in business. Did you not think to strip the rest of the rounds to check loading?...before they were destroyed.

At the time I had no bullet puller or scales and no reloading gear so could not check them myself because I had sold it all a few months earlier to pay off some debts, plus I was furious at the time and just wanted to get the rifle sorted as the incident happened in Taupo. He is still in business because many people praise his gunsmith work and his ammo and no one gets to hear the not very good things and if someone does mention these sorts of incidents too many people jump all over it and say they have had no issues and keep recommending him because they have had such a good run from his work.

R93
    Not having a go here but I would like to know where it is said it is illegal to sell reloaded ammunition. I know it is done and there is supposed to be a licence but no one seems to know where to get one. ERMA?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not having a go here but I would like to know where it is said it is illegal to sell reloaded ammunition. I know it is done and there is supposed to be a licence but no one seems to know where to get one. ERMA?
    I've had a look and can't find anything either, hence my surprise when Mr Mountain Safety Council gave me a good finger waving.
    Happy likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt