Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 5 Post By 199p

Thread: Wooden Gun Safe

Wooden Gun Safe

Just recently I saw a reference (on here I think) of a way to build a very secure gun room using a combination of plywood and a fabric sawstop type stuff. Dammed if I can find it again . . . any clues??

There was a mention recently about using 2mm steel and then gluing ply on the outside

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Just recently I saw a reference (on here I think) of a way to build a very secure gun room using a combination of plywood and a fabric sawstop type stuff. Dammed if I can find it again . . . any clues??
    That stuff chainsaw chaps are made from could be interesting to use , see if it clogs up a angle grinder ?

Dunno about fabric but the usual deal is steel concrete mesh sheets screwed to plywood with the ply facing outwards

My question is why would you put ply onto a steel safe?? Maybe a dumb question sorry but seems a bit strange to do such a thing

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Maybe so the thieves instantly bugger their skilsaw?

Not plywood, use MDF glued to the inside. First it makes it much more robust should someone try to use a tool to puncture and rip it. But more importantly it bloody near kills any power tool such as a grinder or metal saw. The blade gets way too hot, goes blunt very quick, and the smoke created is pretty damned dangerous to any would be thief. Very effective
    Marty Henry and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    My question is why would you put ply onto a steel safe?? Maybe a dumb question sorry but seems a bit strange to do such a thing

Hamish

Not necessarily ply, but usually thick MDF or chip boards. More impact or bend resistant (Think hammers and pry bars...) and if done well, you can make it look like its NOT a firearms cupboard. If they cant find it they cant open it....I have seen a couple of clever ones that unless you knew guns were in there, you wouldn't even notice they were cupboards.

Another method was to run a batton over the hinge screws so that the hinges are between two layers of material.If someone trys to pry the hinges, then they have to sheer the screws as the force is no longer being applied to the head of the screw. The stronger the batton is attached the stronger the hinges are held.

Thing is if the want it they will get it. Each to their own I guess but seems like a whole lot of extra work to me

Hamish

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Dynamite is all a good thief needs, or how about a drill and a very high pressure compressor blow it apart with air pressure, a small atom bomb ?, some people seem to overthink gun security,I would think very few are stolen from safes in houses, probably found lying around the house or sheds or in vehicles, amazingly we get very few insurance quotes for safes.

Hurricane mesh between two layers of half inch mdf is the best Ive heard of for a home build. Munts skillsaw, chokes you if using a grinder
    And a sledge hammer sort of bounces

Just cover your wooden gun safe with flax that shit will tangle up chainsaws faster then you can start them.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Thanks guys, it must have been the mdf that I read . . . as chain stop. My current safe is a fairly good quality steel one but the way its placed its vulnerable to a cut-off saw or angle grinder (and its not big enough) so a very small gun-room is "on order".

I'm thinking I'll line walls and ceiling with glued ply/MDF/mesh/MDF which will give a nice finish that matches other stuff in the house. Commercial multi bolted steel door with combination lock (did anyone else gulp a bit when they saw @SAVAGE 's post about thieves finding keys)??

Check the NZ Police website there is the specs for building a strong room, there are door reinforcing pins they fit in the door near the hinges if the hinges are cut the door will not open,
    My first gun storage was a built in wardrobe with a solid wooden door fitted with the pins and a commercial grade mortice deadbolt only stored A cat rifles pistol were in a 10mm steel box
    in the same wardrobe, ammo was in the second wardrobe with a deadbolt on the door, The AO was very happy with the setup the room looked normal,
    Making a solid door is easy a sandwich of plywood, 16g steel and MDF is not hard to make with heavy duty hinges and reinforcing pins a good quality deadbolt will stop the opportunist burglar