Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By madds
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By Barefoot
  • 1 Post By lophortyx
  • 1 Post By MAJOR F
  • 3 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: 20 g loads for dummies

20 g loads for dummies

Ok I'm confused on loads for 20 g . I'm going to experiment on different loads but what is the norm for game . I've got 30 gram 5 to try . So is how does that fit in as it's similar to 12 g ? . And it's not a magnum case . Someone please explain . Also will 30 gram 20 g have same punch as 12 g 30 gram ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Don't know if this works, but have a read: Introduction to Shotgun Gauges or Twenty Gauge versus Twelve Gauge
    CHEERS!!
    Munsey likes this.

Pretty much the same, just in a 20g you have less pellets than a 12g........................ I think.

Or, same weight of powder, in a smaller bore should produce more speed? Therefore, less pellets going faster............................I think.

I guess I'll be running some number while at work tomorrow to confirm this.
    Munsey likes this.

same weight load = same number of pellets
    Munsey likes this.

yes a 20 ga can punch out the same amount of lead but the shot stream will be longer.all things being equal the 20ga will recoil more. appreciate what you have got. a 20 ga is not going to foot it with a 12 ga.but it is a lovelier thing to shoot. it carries better,nicer to handle and it will do everything you want on a pond situation,but 5,s are the max. pellet size. don't make the mistake of blowing patterns out by putting big powder charges behind them.i shoot 24gm to 28 gm and have no trouble killing cleanly.
    Munsey likes this.

28gs of shot is 28grams of shot in 12 or 20 and the fps is the same the difference is the shot string is longer in the 20 because of its smaller diamiter the advantage of the 20 is in the livleyness in the handling and less weight to carry around i have found that 6 shot pattens best in all my 20s i like the winchester pheasant loads
    Munsey likes this.

Yep, If you use same weight of shoot as a 12g in a light 20g it will boot like a 10g. I see quite often dad buys Johnny a 20g to get started and buys 1 1/4 Magnum 20g loads for him. Poor kid will get booted into next week, especially if it is a cheap ill fitting single barrel shitter. I use 24 & 28gm loads in my 20. and 24gms in my 28 gauge. Things still drop dead
    Spanners, Munsey and Uplandstalker like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

gsp follower is a remington 20g p/a user and ive seen him drop ducks swans geese pigeons quail etc with equal deadliness.i forget his pet loads but i can tell you having processed a plump grain fed canada he dropped on sunday night the damage was amongst the most severe Ive ever seen on these birds.(R) side of ribcage blown apart and heart more bloody holes than a bathroom sponge!
    Uplandstalker likes this.

ine of the guys a geese shot with uses a 20g M2, he produces as many clean kills as the 12g users and with the same shot size and lighter load.

Sent from my Remington 700, from a long way away!!!!