Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 20 gauge semi auto

20 gauge semi auto

Hi folks

I'm a new member who lives in Central Otago and has a 20 acre block (I live in town, the block is undeveloped) that is overstocked with rabbits. To date I've been using a .22 magnum but I'm getting too slow and the rabbits are getting too fast for me to keep their numbers down. So, I've basically decided to go down the shotgun route. As my wife will also use the gun and she's five foot nothing and has to run around in the shower to get wet I've decided to go to 20 gauge and semi-auto for lightness, ease of use, and low recoil. I don't have an endless budget and to date have come up with three options 1: Armsan A620S at $799 from Hunting and Fishing, 2: Mossburg SA-20 at $899 from Gun City and 3: Kral Queen Black Synthetic at $699 also from Gun City. They all "appear" to be pretty similar, the only obvious differences being more or less chokes supplied and the two Turkish models have high viz front sights.

So, I thought I'd join here and see what people who know about such things think. The gun won't get a hard life as I'm probably unlikely to put much more than 100 or so rounds through it a year.

I'd also appreciate any advice on shot and choke size for rabbit. I'll have a search through the forum as well and probably find all the answers there ;-)

Cheers

Advice: please don't buy from Gun City.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Advice: please don't buy from Gun City.
    Hard not to when they are $100 below everyone else and offer free shipping NZ wide during June.
    jord likes this.

You'd think so, but then they don't have your gun in stock or it's broken or it's not what they advertised at all and their customer service policy is a piece of paper with "lol" written on it
    Dino likes this.

The mrs has an armsan 20 gauge. Has used it for two seasons and it has killed a heap of ducks and a few quIl. Nice and fast and light and easy to shoot. No issues with it to date. With all of these guns it would pay to keep them cleanand well maintained as any binding will be where problems can potentially develop from in the form of the softer metals used in the bolt carriers etc being more easily bent which then gives friction and results in poor feeding. Hope that makes sense. As i said though this one has done quite a lit of work in poir conditions with no issue and has two arms on bolt carrier rather than the one sided vedsion i have seen on others which would just be asking for trouble in my books

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    You'd think so, but then they don't have your gun in stock or it's broken or it's not what they advertised at all and their customer service policy is a piece of paper with "lol" written on it

Interesting.

The only response, were those "avoidance and delay techniques" to arise would be, in the words of a current television advert for a mould and mildew removal product ........"Walk away."

But if not, as our Ozzie mates say. worth a "suck of the sav" for a careful, forewarned, buyer. :>)

However, as has been seen, offers may arise.

Or go ask your local store of preference to price match and don't need with noted shit-store Gun City!
    Pointer likes this.

Hi and Welcome aboard

Lately, most of my gun needs have been met by the guys at Tairei Arms in Mosgiel. Their shelf prices are good, and they will often move a bit to match another price too. Excellent service!!

They also have a few specials on at the moment.

Thanks for the comments and help. Not sure about the anti Gun City talk but I will certainly check around for a deal. I'm not in a position to pay extra for a deal though just because some members aren't fans if particular outlets. Unfortunately, living in the middle of Central, freight can be a major issue and Gun City's free freight deal will save a lot as I also want a gun safe, ammo etc etc. Anyhow, I'll certainly try other sources as well. Interestingly the only Company to instantly offer to match another dealers price so far is Gun City !!

Cheers

Tools not Toys
    Lindsay Duncan SHOOTERS WORLD GORE! He is a very knowledgeable guy and will nearly always beat any price around. Providing he knows you are actually buying, guess he gets a few too many tyre kickers. I once asked him if he could beat Gun Shitty, with a grin he replied "If I couldn't beat them, I wouldn't be here." Anyone supporting Gun City above must work there, while it is a literal candy shop for choice, their pricing is WAY out there i.e. ratshit. Great place to find the gun you like, then get it hundreds cheaper elsewhere. My 2c worth. Enjoy the forum.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't considered Gore, will check them out. Is there a particular reason for the anti Gun City sentiment here ?

Cheers

Their prices are generally inflated hence them being willing to give discount
    Their follow up on things if you have a problem with a product is shit. Standard of a lot of what they sell is rubbish. To me they seem to market to the bogan equivalent of the hunting world, tracer ammo etc. Just not a brand im a fan of with their pieced together firearms and chinese knock offs of products/guns

Fair enough, always happy to learn from others experiences, that's why I joined here !!

Cheers

They are terrible in almost every way. They are frequently massively overpriced, sell a lot of junk, give terrible advice, have non-existent customer service, the owner is a literal criminal.

I'll stop complaining about Gun City now. Shotguns are cool, get one.
    Scouser and grunzter like this.